MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Be cautious with this Synthi!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Be cautious with this Synthi!
gone
Saw this for €9.5k this evening.

https://fr.m.audiofanzine.com/rack-analogique/ems/Synthi/petites-annon ces/i.1368410.html

A word of warning on this one, it’s been serviced by a certain Mr. Magnaval and “fully modified” - whatever that means.

I bought an AKS last year that had been “serviced” by Mr. Magnaval... major issues. The KS was completely broken, there was a bad pot, and worst of all, he had torn the spring reverb out and replaced it with a digital spring reverb, which he reckons is superior Dead Banana

Papz brought it back to perfection for the happy buyer I sold it to (with full disclosure, of course) so there’s a happy ending, at least!
papz
So many unaware techs shouldn't be allowed to touch or even look at a Synthi. One can't imagine all the shit I could see in Synthis so-called "serviced" by so-called "techs" who obviously don't know what they are doing or what a Synthi is and have heavy hands !

Bernard Magnaval is one of these and what he commited in Donnacha's ex-one is a pity.
His crappiest idiocy is replace the spring reverb with a digital module, and he's proud of his shit as Donnacha wrote. He even shows pics of this infamous crime on http://magnaval.com/customisation/ and claims the effect is better than the original.

Please avoid these clowns and have your Synthis serviced by competent people only (we are about 5 or 6 on Planet Earth).
REcDeso12oi
Ugh, I fear that picture of the Belton reverb inside a Synthi is going to be burned into my brain for the rest of my life. Fair warning to those who click on the link.. its ruff.

I wonder how long it'll take for this thread to spiral into some sort of digital spring vs real spring black hole of a mess. Queue the trolls.
feedbackl00p
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know of a competent Synthi tech in Adelaide, Australia?

I have an AKS im attempting to restore.
dkcg
REcDeso12oi wrote:
I wonder how long it'll take for this thread to spiral into some sort of digital spring vs real spring black hole of a mess. Queue the trolls.

I don't think anyone here at Muff's would think a digital reverb brick would be a good or superior replacement for real springs. Heck, a Fender Twin with a digital spring would be blasphemy. a synthi with digital reverb brick would be one of the deadly sins and frowned upon by the EMS gods.... zombie
Peake
Doing feedback through the reverb is part of the Synthi sound. :(
Synesthesia
the reverb thing is wild!!!
nickbaba
Jeez why not pull out all the innards and replace everything with an iPad running iVCS3?

Digital sound quality! A Synthi for the 21st Century!
bwhittington
So his Synthi mods suck, but his Mirror Ball Theremini mod rocks the house.

SlayerBadger! headbang SlayerBadger! headbang

I wonder if Hobby Lobby sells those stickers. hihi

papz
Above the irrelevant interventions and issues not fixed, the calibration was a mess.
I wonder if he ever read the service manual... zombie
construct09
feedbackl00p wrote:
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know of a competent Synthi tech in Adelaide, Australia?

I have an AKS im attempting to restore.

Steve Jones in Sydney
gone
papz wrote:
Above the irrelevant interventions and issues not fixed, the calibration was a mess.
I wonder if he ever read the service manual... zombie

Oh, well. These issues notwithstanding, I managed to make an album with it Rockin' Banana!

https://donnachacostello.bandcamp.com/album/mouvements
papz
Although poorly calibrated, a Synthi is able to produce pleasant and usable sounds.This often misleads people who think it's good working.
But the sound and behavior of a perfectly working one are a few steps above. love
nickbaba
It's a lovely album too... sounds good to me!
gone
nickbaba

Thanks, man smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1