MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Any Amphenol jack users?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Any Amphenol jack users?
ppkstat
Hello people! As the switchcrafts are draining me financially at an exponential rate I was tempted to try Amphenols which go for way less at tme. I 've never seen one in person but Amphenol is supposed to have a reputation as a company.

Has anyone here used them in the past? How do they compare with switchcraft?
krisp14u
I feel your Pain with the price of Switchcraft jacks
The price has gone silly for me ever since we had that F#@king Referendum here in the UK
One thing you dont get with the Amphenols is the big shiny washer sad banana
I would also be interested in others opinions on them hmmm.....
Dr Gris
In my DIY days I sometimes used Amphenol.
But that was XLR connectors in various studio outboard racks.
Also used them making snakes for my studio.
Mostly I used Neutrik, but I felt Amphenol was equally sturdy.

For what its worth... hmmm.....

//Magnus
Eric the Red
As I need to buy about 500 of these... let’s hear your experiences.
Thalassa
krisp14u wrote:
I feel your Pain with the price of Switchcraft jacks
The price has gone silly for me ever since we had that F#@king Referendum here in the UK


I don't know how much you were paying before the F#@king Referendum but the price at this moment in digikey is not bad.

112AX ( mono with switch ) , 1,68€ for 1unit and 1,30€ buying 500
Rex Coil 7
I hear "Amphenol" and I always think of their multi-pin MilSpec type connectors. I never associate the brand with 1/4" jacks.

seriously, i just don't get it
widgetoz
ppkstat wrote:
Hello people! As the switchcrafts are draining me financially at an exponential rate I was tempted to try Amphenols which go for way less at tme. I 've never seen one in person but Amphenol is supposed to have a reputation as a company.

Has anyone here used them in the past? How do they compare with switchcraft?

I am using Amphenol 1/4" jacks (pcb vertical mounted model) and have found them to be very good. no issues to date.
And mine come with a washer (and nut)
krisp14u
Thalassa wrote:


I don't know how much you were paying before the F#@king Referendum but the price at this moment in digikey is not bad.

112AX ( mono with switch ) , 1,68€ for 1unit and 1,30€ buying 500


Not too less than that but when you buy 2k at a time a few penny's is a kick in the teeth
also the £ has taken a beating from the €

I hope that Im right on the hotel California comparison
ppkstat
widgetoz wrote:

I am using Amphenol 1/4" jacks (pcb vertical mounted model) and have found them to be very good. no issues to date.
And mine come with a washer (and nut)


Thank you! A washer can also be seen in the datasheet but it appears to be very narrow. Would it be much of a bother to take a pic and post it here?

The digikey prices are good, but that's shipping from the US right? No way this thing passes through the Greek customs at the moment.

My choice of supplier was action hardware (UK). Even they increased their prices.
widgetoz
ppkstat wrote:
widgetoz wrote:

I am using Amphenol 1/4" jacks (pcb vertical mounted model) and have found them to be very good. no issues to date.
And mine come with a washer (and nut)


Thank you! A washer can also be seen in the datasheet but it appears to be very narrow. Would it be much of a bother to take a pic and post it here?

The digikey prices are good, but that's shipping from the US right? No way this thing passes through the Greek customs at the moment.

My choice of supplier was action hardware (UK). Even they increased their prices.

OD of washer is the same as the nut so, yes, smaller than Switchcraft.
I use them on 3U modules so actually prefer the smaller washer as it leaves more panel room for text
Thalassa
krisp14u wrote:
when you buy 2k at a time a few penny's is a kick in the teeth also the £ has taken a beating from the €


Yes you are right. You could ask for a quotation for 2k units , on the website is written "Submit a request for quotation on quantities greater than those displayed"
ppkstat
widgetoz wrote:

OD of washer is the same as the nut so, yes, smaller than Switchcraft.
I use them on 3U modules so actually prefer the smaller washer as it leaves more panel room for text


Thanks for the pics! I might get a couple and see for myself.
J3RK
I use them. Pretty happy with them overall. I used to use the vertical Neutrik ones, but they seem to have quality issues all of a sudden or at least Mouser had a bad batch of them. If you tighten the nut a bit too much the whole threaded section snaps off. Lost about ten that way before I decided to try the Amphenol ones. I'd say they're about on par with the Switchcraft.
cornutt
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
I hear "Amphenol" and I always think of their multi-pin MilSpec type connectors.


Same here... recall dealing with banks of those things when I was doing Space Shuttle stuff. And the cost of them is astounding, so it surprised me a bit that their 1/4" jacks are less than Switchcraft.
defutura
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
I hear "Amphenol" and I always think of their multi-pin MilSpec type connectors. I never associate the brand with 1/4" jacks.


Me neither. I'm thinking of the MC4F screw-on connectors on old Electro-Voice microphones or the chunky bakelite connectors used with some Leslie cabinets (notably my Fender Vibratone).
Mark11Audio
cornutt wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
I hear "Amphenol" and I always think of their multi-pin MilSpec type connectors.


Same here... recall dealing with banks of those things when I was doing Space Shuttle stuff. And the cost of them is astounding, so it surprised me a bit that their 1/4" jacks are less than Switchcraft.


My System uses the Multi-Pin Amphenol connectors for my power distribution behind the cabinets to power the small single row 10U wide extension cabs...







Rex Coil 7
Any idea what current rating the pins are spec'd out for?

Mark11Audio wrote:
cornutt wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:
I hear "Amphenol" and I always think of their multi-pin MilSpec type connectors.


Same here... recall dealing with banks of those things when I was doing Space Shuttle stuff. And the cost of them is astounding, so it surprised me a bit that their 1/4" jacks are less than Switchcraft.


My System uses the Multi-Pin Amphenol connectors for my power distribution behind the cabinets to power the small single row 10U wide extension cabs...







Mark11Audio
[quote="Rex Coil 7"]Any idea what current rating the pins are spec'd out for?

14ga / 15amp per line / 250VDC to 1750VDC according to the Amphenol .pdf sheet... YMMV thumbs up
SynthBaron
Anything under $5 for a 112ax is a bargain rather than having to deal with the way the other options feel when constantly using them.
JohnLRice
Allied Electronics has pretty decent prices on Switchcraft 112AX jacks, at least for USA buyers? hmmm.....
$1.89 each or $1.53 each in quantities over 50
https://www.alliedelec.com/switchcraft-112ax/70214291/
Ricochet
I've found
GOOBAY jacks here in Germany for 0,49€ ... eek!
hmmm.....
me too need over 200 pieces applause

SynthBaron
Just the appearance of that nut alone, jeez.
Thalassa
SynthBaron wrote:
Just the appearance of that nut alone, jeez.

It really looks awful confused
Dave Peck
Agreed. But, - if - the rest of the jack is good, these are so cheap that you could replace the nuts with a separately purchased quantity of good nuts and you'd still be saving a lot.
ppkstat
I promised I would give you a report when I'd get some so here goes.

Solder-lug version:



The main difference here is that the amphenols have smaller holes. Not a real problem as their size is still adequate even for thick bus wire.

Though-hole version:



The pins on the amphenols are way smaller and do not look very secure at all.

Both versions:
The amphenols have a toothed anti-rotational washer on the inside which I am not a very big fan of.

Another important difference is that in amphenols the end of the shaft is not threaded like in switchcrafts. This poses a problem especially in in the solder-lug version when I tried to mount them with using both a 3mm panel plus a 1mm panel that we usually use in MOTM in order to support pcbs. The fit was very tight.

Finally the washer is almost non-existant but these can easily be replaced with switchcraft.



The insertion mechanism seems excellent, it is very comparable to switchcrafts.

Now, what is the most economical source for switchcrafts in the EU? hihi (I am not joking if you have any ideas please say so).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group