MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

General CV questions
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author General CV questions
eewee
Got one! After playing (as in 'having fun') with it for a few hours, I have the following questions:

- is there a way to boost the output of the module? The manual mentions 16Vpp, but the best I could get so far (Piano sounds, 8 voices, slightly detuned, 5V into Velocity) is something around 8Vpp. Max reverb and chorus increase this a bit.
    - switching between CVM and VCO mode makes the pitch glide up and down, which sounds strange for a MIDI based module. I mention it because it might be a bug?
    - the display is very nice and crisp, but too small for my (moderate reading glass equipped) eyes.

FYI: nice surprise of the day: feed a short sequencer gate/pitch into the Arpeggiator mode, and hear it weave all kinds of patterns around what would otherwise be a boring sequence.
eewee
eewee wrote:

- switching between CVM and VCO mode makes the pitch glide up and down, which sounds strange for a MIDI based module. I mention it because it might be a bug?.

Think I understand that one: input voltage is quantized n CVM, but full range pitch bent in VCO. My oversight.
os
Quote:
is there a way to boost the output of the module?

The volume very much depends on the sounds you're using, and how many. Even 8 voices is only a quarter of the theoretical polyphony, so there has to be headroom for that. That said I should check that the MIDI volume is actually defaulting to 127 and not something less.

Quote:
the display is very nice and crisp, but too small for my (moderate reading glass equipped) eyes.

That's not a question smile

I may look into an alternative display mode which uses bigger text at the expense of showing less information.
eewee
Thanks os.

The volume: I had a similar problem with an older MIDI box when playing individual voices, rather than full on 16 channel with polyphony. But there I had a master volume, that when boosted, would admittedly overdrive if I was adding too many voices. Can't tell whether that was MIDI volume, or an extra step at the end.

Don't bother (at least not for me) about different display modes - I'm still learning the module and need the screen, but I feel that will not take long. The menu system is quite intuitive.
eewee
os wrote:
v1.1 is released:

[..]
* Added control over the output gain (offering up to 6dB more volume compared to v1.0).

Thank you!
REVIVER
Just received one of these and I'm already in love. Had a crush on the General MIDI sound set since high school, so now having CV control is a pretty special thing for me.

Still finding my way through many of the modes, but the Chord mode might just be my favorite. Being able to layer the programs is an incredible thing.

Curious about naming presets, however:

It seems that naming of presets doesn't work retroactively. I.E. If I save a preset first and then try to name the file, it doesn't "stick"; just stays as "Init".

I did notice in the manual that it says that you should save the name first, then save the preset. Oftentimes, I'll conjure up a name later on while saving the preset is the real priority.

Any way to fix this?

Also, would it be possible to have a setting that would allow it to boot up with the last preset that you had running?
os
Changing the name works on the 'in memory' preset, same as any other change. If you want to name one already stored, load it, name it and store it back.

It would be possible to load up the last preset at startup. I'll make a note of that.
REVIVER
os wrote:
Changing the name works on the 'in memory' preset, same as any other change. If you want to name one already stored, load it, name it and store it back.

It would be possible to load up the last preset at startup. I'll make a note of that.

Ah, got it. I was confusing the preset bank with the preset "currently loaded".

All good!

Guinness ftw!
REVIVER
Hmm...so mine has started acting a little funny when I apply CV to input 1 to modulate the Program in just about every mode.

It'll reboot if I adjust knob A while CV is present at input 1...actually, it even became stuck in a reboot loop at one point.

Tried reinstalling the 1.1 firmware, but it's still acting the same.

Os, any thoughts?

EDIT: OK, so after a bit of experimentation, it seems to mostly happen when a bi-polar signal or negative offset are introduced to input 1 and you adjust knob A. BUT...this only happens when you adjust knob A while CV is present at input 1. hmmm.....

Could this be due to the expected voltage levels at input 1? I noticed in the manual that it said that the inputs are protected...maybe a firmware thing?
os
I'll check it tomorrow.
REVIVER
Any luck?

Started to have other crashing experiences as well...

Here's a short video showing the module crashing when I go to the VCO mode and try to change the Program in that mode:

os
eek!

I can't repro that at all.

Have you tried the self test, from the misc menu? Also 'test inputs' might be worth doing.
REVIVER
Yep. Just tried the self test again. I can hear the tones and can reboot from there, but the issue still exists.

Tried the test inputs option as well and it'll show the CV present at Input 1 (obviously, only positive signals), so that seems fine. It'll show no input as well when I either attenuate the CV fully or remove it entirely.

I've tried to revert back to 1.0, but that didn't do the trick. Back at 1.1 now and still doing the same.

I've tried two different cases on two different power supplies.

Thoroughly stumped. d'oh!

Here's one more video demonstrating another crashing behavior that captured earlier today. This time, it seems to be stuck in a crash loop. It'll ultimately right itself if I remove CV from Input 1, but will continue to crash otherwise.

Original crashing issue (for troubleshooting purposes):

Should this go back to you or CONTROL, perhaps?
os
This feels like a firmware bug to me, so not a hardware issue that indicates a return.

Let me cook something up that will effectively wipe anything you might have changed in the flash memory which could be causing this.
REVIVER
os wrote:
This feels like a firmware bug to me, so not a hardware issue that indicates a return.

Let me cook something up that will effectively wipe anything you might have changed in the flash memory which could be causing this.

Awesome! Thank you! I have my portable system with me at work today, so I should be able to actively test if needed.

Cheers for the support!

Guinness ftw!
os
This version adds a 'factory reset' menu item under Misc.
REVIVER
That worked! Thank you so much!

Any idea what I might have done to cause that?
os
No idea, but it gives me some information to go on when trying to figure that out.
REVIVER
Any way to have the cursor set to start at the alphabet rather than at symbols when naming a preset? Would streamline the naming process, I think.

I often find myself having to scroll quickly to get to the upper case alpha and then just end up blazing right into it...

Maybe even re-arrange the sequence? Like upper case alpha -> numbers -> symbols -> lower case alpha -> back to upper case...

hmmm.....
scttcmpbll
Is it possible to play the General CV via midi using the Disting MK4 midi breakout panel?
REVIVER
scttcmpbll wrote:
Is it possible to play the General CV via midi using the Disting MK4 midi breakout panel?

It appears so...

From the manual:

MIDI I/O

The General CV has an expansion header on the PCB which can be used to add a pair of traditional 5-pin DIN MIDI ports to the module (one input/one output). This is compatible with the Expert Sleepers disting mk4 MIDI breakout.
Dunej
Just purchased both MIDI Breakout and General CV. A little confused about connecting.
If I connect cable exactly per the build instruction pictures for the Breakout, then the pin furthest from the red stripe has a "1" printed on the green board of the Breakout.
Now if I look at the 4 pins connector on the General CV, there is a small "1" printed at one of the outer pins.
I'm assuming I should install cable so that wire from pin "1" on the one board connects also with the pin "1" on the other board.
I'm asking because that puts the red stripe UP on the General CV module. I'm new at this Eurorack stuff, but I keep hearing people talking about the importance of installing red stripe down.... This is not what will happen if I connect pin 1 to pin 1.....
(Obviously, I'm talking about the connecting cable, the POWER cable is installed red stripe down, of course.)
Just checking: Pin 1 to Pin 1, even though that means red stripe up on the connecting cable--right?

Thanks!
scttcmpbll
Dunej wrote:
Just purchased both MIDI Breakout and General CV. A little confused about connecting.
If I connect cable exactly per the build instruction pictures for the Breakout, then the pin furthest from the red stripe has a "1" printed on the green board of the Breakout.
Now if I look at the 4 pins connector on the General CV, there is a small "1" printed at one of the outer pins.
I'm assuming I should install cable so that wire from pin "1" on the one board connects also with the pin "1" on the other board.
I'm asking because that puts the red stripe UP on the General CV module. I'm new at this Eurorack stuff, but I keep hearing people talking about the importance of installing red stripe down.... This is not what will happen if I connect pin 1 to pin 1.....
(Obviously, I'm talking about the connecting cable, the POWER cable is installed red stripe down, of course.)
Just checking: Pin 1 to Pin 1, even though that means red stripe up on the connecting cable--right?

Thanks!

I tried this and couldn't get it working. Let me know if you have any luck
REVIVER
Can we use this as a request/suggestion thread too? hmmm.....

Would it be possible to have it load up the last used preset on power-up?

How about a "duophonic" mode where there can be, let's say, two discreet programs each with their own gate/pitch input?

Any chance to get a slightly hotter signal at the outputs?

How about some kind of built-in atten/offset for the program CV input? I.E. right now, with 0v at the program input, it defaults to Grand Piano 1 (program 1). So let's say I select program 54 (Voice Oohs) with the program knob; is there any way to have 0v bottom out at that program rather than back to Grand Piano 1? Hope I'm explaining this correctly. Right now, I have to use up 2 channels on my Shades to do this. Would be nice/easier to have this done in-module.

As you can see, I'm very excited by the potential of this module.

screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo screaming goo yo
evolve
REVIVER wrote:

How about some kind of built-in atten/offset for the program CV input? I.E. right now, with 0v at the program input, it defaults to Grand Piano 1 (program 1). So let's say I select program 54 (Voice Oohs) with the program knob; is there any way to have 0v bottom out at that program rather than back to Grand Piano 1? Hope I'm explaining this correctly. Right now, I have to use up 2 channels on my Shades to do this. Would be nice/easier to have this done in-module.

I believe this is how the braids meta mode works, would be great if the General CV could do the same!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3