MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Do you keep pedals/effects that only have one good setting?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Do you keep pedals/effects that only have one good setting?
Futuresound
I have an Iron Ether Polytope. It's great for messing around with, but when it comes time to actually write or record a song, I only ever use it on one setting with the slightest of variations.

For that single sound, it's really expensive and it takes up space and it uses one of my available power cables.

But that sound is SO good, it brings so much life.

Do you have gear like this? How good does it have to be to stay for you? seriously, i just don't get it
GuyaGuy
I wouldn't have a problem with having a one-setting pedal like that unless it was only used for one chorus of a song or something, but it sounds like you use it frequently.

I have 4 effects for my guitar rig and they are all set-and-forget--the only exception being the Deluxe Memory Boy which I tap a tempo into but all other parameters stay put.
Antlerface
I have a setting on a Rat2 I never ever change, love it to death. Same with my octave pedal and Echo Degrader.
sduck
Sure, lots of pedals like this. My MXR Dynacomp has been set at 11/2 since 1978. I have a Boss V-Wah, which is full of pretty good wah sounds, but I only use the univibe setting on it because it sounds really great. And there's the Pink Box that Shall Not Be Named that only has one semi-acceptable setting. And perhaps I shouldn't even mention the Miku Stomp...
dkcg
I think once I find a sweet spot on overdrives and distortions, it pretty much stays that way and the only variable then is the volume and tone on my guitar and how i play.

Delay and modulation get tweaked all the time for me, but most distortion type effects, pretty much one setting. Except the Geiger Counter, which I think is the opposite where I always tweak it, at least the wavetables and have yet to find the same settings again.
Donderdag
I've got a crap old Boss Harmonizer that sounds like complete shit on every setting except the detuned, which actually sounds quite nice!
wdlnds
I much prefer a single good effect per pedal. It lets me leave each on the setting I like and stack with other effects.
gentle_attack
Tuner hihi
p.j.
I generally keep my Xotic SP compressor on one setting: Lo mode, volume and blend at 2:00. Almost everything else I own I will mess with settings from time to time. Some pedals, like my Red Panda Particle, have settings that are always changing.
Futuresound
gentle_attack wrote:
Tuner hihi

hyper
Futuresound
I have another question then: are you all using those one-good-setting pedals with guitar or synth?
Shadoweclipse13
dkcg wrote:
I think once I find a sweet spot on overdrives and distortions, it pretty much stays that way and the only variable then is the volume and tone on my guitar and how i play.

Delay and modulation get tweaked all the time for me, but most distortion type effects, pretty much one setting.

I'm kinda the same. I don't get along with pedals that have a ton of hidden features or banks of menus, but I do like things that are versatile. Then I find that sweet spot and don't even think about it.

My EQD Grand Orbiter (V2) is like that: it can do phase and vibrato and a ton of good sounds, but I tend to have it set to phase almost all the time.

Delays I change quite a bit as I've never liked tap tempo. I'll change from long delay times to short, mess with the repeats, all sorts of things. I also like modulated delays (EQD Space Spiral quickly becoming a favorite), so I guess that part holds true with me as well.
smetak
Yep, for guitar - one setting for the Superego and the Afterneath (which goes into the loop of the Superego) - actually, someone once messed up the setting on the Superego, which drove me up the wall - so, today, I have masked tape over the buttons. Also, rarely, if ever, change the settings on the compressor (Greer's Fishpress) and on the Neunaber reverb at the end of the chain.
notjoesuthers
gentle_attack wrote:
Tuner hihi

A while back I saw a Korg tuner with two footswitches and I all I could think was "WHY? Tuners don't need tap tempo." hmmm.....
Johnnyfive
Antlerface wrote:
I have a setting on a Rat2 I never ever change, love it to death.

me too. stomp on it for distortion, stomp it off for clean. my boss ds-2 was always set with the tone fully down, distortion up - makes a strat sound weird and wooly and sustain-y.

big muff, on the other hand, had to be fiddled with every day. sounded different in each new venue, so eventually i gave up using it live.

(glad i kept it though because korg ms20 through a big muff is a thing of wonder and awe)
calaveras
I have few pedals that sound good in more than one setting.
I've got a ton of distortion pedals, but the Rat keeps finding its way back in there because it does bluesy, punk and shred.
Most of my other ODs are one narrow sweetspot. Though my modded double muff has this great spitty starved voltage sound in addition to the normal warm OD.

OTOH I've had a B:Assmaster for years and still cant decide what it's sweet spot is. A little too flexible.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1