MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New MacBook: which hub/dongle/whatever do you use?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author New MacBook: which hub/dongle/whatever do you use?
Pase
So now I just bought a base model MacBook Pro 13”,
and now I got to live with the fact that it has only 2 usb-c ports.

What’s your favorite (sigh confused ) usb-c hub or dongle or whatever for connecting your MacBook with your other things as audio interface, midi controllers, external monitor etc?
Thanks!
helixx_w
I was just wondering the same thing. My setup has finally grown beyond the boundaries of 4 USB-C plugs and I have no idea which way to go. (I have the MBP 15”).
pilp
That's one of the many reasons why I have switched to PC. You can use hubs with your mac but most of your gear will behave poorly, especially audio interfaces and hard drives. My PC now has 3 internal ssd drives + 4 USB 3.0 ports, which one I use a hub with to plug iloks, controllers and things that don't hog the transmission lines much. Happy days.
wsy
pilp wrote:
That's one of the many reasons why I have switched to PC. You can use hubs with your mac but most of your gear will behave poorly, especially audio interfaces and hard drives. My PC now has 3 internal ssd drives + 4 USB 3.0 ports, which one I use a hub with to plug iloks, controllers and things that don't hog the transmission lines much. Happy days.

Ditto here. We had been an exclusively Mac household for a decade, but the new Macs are just so ill-thought-out for Joe Average.

They might be OK for a hipster who wants to hang out in coffee shops and pretend to be working on their novel and look oh so cool,
but for actually getting something done I just don't see it - USB C is a solution in search of a problem (it's no better than USB 3.0 over the 3.0
downward-compatible physical port) and walking away from the genius that waas MagSafe power is idiocy.

And soldering in both the RAM and the SSD is Apple's way of saying "you'll never upgrade, you'll have to buy a new one every 2 years!"

Today, I wouldn't buy a new Mac. If I had to have a Mac, I'd get the last version that had memory and SSD in sockets.

Lacking that, I'd buy a new Systm76 or Purism (since I run Debian Linux on whatever hardware comes my way).

- Bill
arnoux
Pase just bought a MBP2017, did you find anything reliable to suggest?

Thanks in advance!
Notron fn
I have an old late 2012 mac mini server. So i’m on USB3 still and using an anker hub.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-usb-c-adapters-cables-and-hubs/

This place used to be good for sorting through options.
sduck
I bought a few dongles for my new macbook pro, but the one that I end up using the most is the apple digital hdmi adaptor - it has a hdmi out, a regular usb, and a usb-c, so I can power the puter, run the monitor, and attach my old usb hub. That covers 90% of my needs. I also use a firewire adaptor for my MOTU ultralight. I also have a regular usb adaptor that gets used for a lot of miscellaneous things. I haven't found an all in one adaptor yet that would serve all these needs in one piece.
Dimitree
I'm using a Aukey hub, the black one with 4x USB + hdmi + power delivery.
No troubles until now but I prefer to connect USB drive directly to the Mac and the rest through the hub.
I've read that many hubs disconnects wifi and bluetooth if you are connecting a USB 3 device because of the shielding (and so does some usb 3 cables that I have)
This one doesn't quit my wifi but bluetooth behaves a bit strange, but I don't care
Pase
arnoux wrote:
Pase just bought a MBP2017, did you find anything reliable to suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Hi!

Got this one from Amazon:
https://plugable.com/products/usb3-hub7bc/29
it work like a charm with an Apple USBC to USBA adapter .

I connected to it an audio interface, Push 2 and it can charge my iPad too.

Spero di esserti stato utile wink
LameAim
I've got a Thunderbolt 2 hub that I'm still getting by with, but I'm eyeing this one when it finally becomes time for me to swap:

https://www.amazon.com/OWC-Port-Thunderbolt-Dock-Space/dp/B01N51P3BB/r ef=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1512627524&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=thunderbol t%2B3%2Bhub&th=1
arnoux
Great, thanks for your help thumbs up
listentoaheartbeat
wsy wrote:
walking away from the genius that waas MagSafe power is idiocy.

Holy shit, I didn't know that. That is idiotic! Incredibly idiotic! MagSafe saved my computer many times (and I also lost a Powerbook due to someone tripping over the power cable pre MagSafe). Luckily the MacBook Air still has it, it's my favorite mobile computer anyway.
sduck
listentoaheartbeat wrote:
wsy wrote:

Holy shit, I didn't know that. That is idiotic! Incredibly idiotic! MagSafe saved my computer many times

It IS idiotic. There's a huge market of affordable replacements though - type "usb-c magsafe" into the amazon search bar.
Tumulishroomaroom
sduck wrote:
listentoaheartbeat wrote:
wsy wrote:

Holy shit, I didn't know that. That is idiotic! Incredibly idiotic! MagSafe saved my computer many times

It IS idiotic. There's a huge market of affordable replacements though - type "usb-c magsafe" into the amazon search bar.

I didn't know that, might be useful. Although I feel like the Usb c would disconnect itself if you were to trip on your cable ? Sure thing is, I don't wanna try smile

My solution to the hub thing was to buy a new cable for my K-mix and that's it. I f#cking hate dongles. I only have one for ethernet that I use 3 times a year.
mateo
LameAim wrote:
I've got a Thunderbolt 2 hub that I'm still getting by with, but I'm eyeing this one when it finally becomes time for me to swap:

https://www.amazon.com/OWC-Port-Thunderbolt-Dock-Space/dp/B01N51P3BB/r ef=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1512627524&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=thunderbol t%2B3%2Bhub&th=1

This seems to be the best option out there, although if you don't need the firewire port this one's a bit cheaper

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075M1XHCK/
sduck
Seems like they're all missing something. Finding these things that have SD card slots seems to be a problem, or if they have it they some other missing thing. I've got a nice enough one by J5create that has most of what I need, including the SD card slot, but it only works on the left side, which doesn't work for my desktop use. Argghhhhh
Pase
LameAim wrote:

Yeah, when I will buy an external monitor this will be the one I’ll choose.

For now, having only to connect audio interface and the controller to the laptop it’s overkill.
dubonaire
Although I still have a Mac with Thunderbolt 2, I use a Thunderbolt Display as my 'dongle'. It works well.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1