MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Clocking the Pulser - Music Easel - syncing ? NEED help !
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Clocking the Pulser - Music Easel - syncing ? NEED help !
Shabfish
I have the Easel connected to my Abelton via Midi and I can control the Easel via external midi keyboard and play notes. I can also sequence the Easel via the Abetlon control called “Push”. This all works well as expected…. BUT….. here’s the problems I’m having…...

1) I’ve got a complex pattern being sequenced by the “Yellow Pulser” on “Self Sequence” mode.

- Can you please advise how I can sync the pulser (yellow) to the song BPM ?
- Will I need to do this by ear and manually adjusting the Pulser Rate ?
- Is there a way to start the pulser as the start of the song so you can record the audio in time ? if not the sequence is constantly playing and not in time with the BPM ..!?

2) Arpeggiator

- Is there a way to sync up the ARP to the BPM of the song ?

I want to use the Pulser to produce complex patterns that are in sync with my project BPM so I can “over dub” and record in parts.

Please can you help and advise,
CliffordMilk
There’s no way of syncing the pulser without using additional gear and making use of the program card. You might find the BOB Expander useful for this but you will still need to feed it a clock at Buchla voltage levels. I’m pretty sure the arp on the 218 does follow the MIDI clock though.

Have you also tried setting the pulser source to ‘keyboard’ when the 218 is in arp mode?
InnnerSight
The Easel's MIDI implementation only allows you to send one of the following:

Clock
Midi Notes

You cannot send both - it will eventually crash.

You can sync the Arp by simply send just the MIDI clock, but you loose the MIDI sequence capability. With the MIDI clock being sent you can set the Pulse to keyboard mode and it will trigger in time with the Arp.

Alternatively you can use your sequence like a clock (if its a 1/16 note sequence for example) and again set the pulser to be triggered by the keyboard (i.e. the keyboards Pulse output). You can also set the Pulser to be triggered by the SVS and have the SVS triggered by the keyboard, this way you can turn the gates off on stages to act like a simple clock divider.

Switching between these on the fly should give you the ability to overdub, but be careful not to send both clock and notes.
CliffordMilk
After updating the firmware in the 218 I personally haven’t had the Easel crash on me once when sending both MIDI clock and note data. Having said that, I use hardware sequencers rather than a DAW and I have been warned a crash still isn’t out of the question.
lumin
How did you update the firmware for your 218? I know some folks had asked in the past and didn't really receive replies.
CliffordMilk
You would either need access to someone with a 200e system or an Atmel debugger. I had neither so in the end BEMI agreed to do it for me. A fair bit of hassle for a feature I don't really use much.
InnnerSight
CliffordMilk wrote:
After updating the firmware in the 218 I personally haven’t had the Easel crash on me once when sending both MIDI clock and note data. Having said that, I use hardware sequencers rather than a DAW and I have been warned a crash still isn’t out of the question.

Sweet I'll have to try that.

What effect does sending both have on the Arp and Keyboard as far as pitch out and pulse out are concerned?
CliffordMilk
I think the arp on the 218 will follow a midi clock. Other than that, it just sends note and gate info. No effect on the pulser at all. As I say, you need to use the program card slot for that.

However, as said above, if you have a steady arp going from the 218 or being sent from MIDI, you can set the sequencer and/or pulser to keyboard and it will be in sync.

It really is a lovely instrument. I did find the limitations frustrating at first but then I stopped trying to make it do the things I do with other gear and just explored the features it does have. Stick it through a decent reverb and it truly shines.
nickbaba
Do you have any eurorack?

With a MIDI to CV/Gate converter (like Yarns) a Synovatron CV/GT module and Papz'z BOB expander card you can get a range of DAW based timing control over your Easel, including the Pulser.
Anechoic
nickbaba wrote:

With a MIDI to CV/Gate converter (like Yarns) a Synovatron CV/GT module and Papz'z BOB expander card you can get a range of DAW based timing control over your Easel, including the Pulser.

I have all three of those, but have yet to delve into setting that up. Any specific pointers on how you’re set up with those would be great.
jordanb
Anechoic wrote:
nickbaba wrote:

I have all three of those, but have yet to delve into setting that up. Any specific pointers on how you’re set up with those would be great.

Midi out to Yarns Midi In > Layout 4M on Yarns > Set Channel and Part to “1” or whichever channel you’re sending Midi> Gate/Trig Out of Yarns to CVGT1 Gate in > GRound out of Cvgt1 to gnd in on easel, and pulse out of cVGT1 to Keyboard in on easel

Musical Fungus has a walkthrough on his YouTube account super easy to follow
Anechoic
jordanb wrote:
Anechoic wrote:
nickbaba wrote:

Midi out to Yarns Midi In > Layout 4M on Yarns > Set Channel and Part to “1” or whichever channel you’re sending Midi> Gate/Trig Out of Yarns to CVGT1 Gate in > GRound out of Cvgt1 to gnd in on easel, and pulse out of cVGT1 to Keyboard in on easel

Musical Fungus has a walkthrough on his YouTube account super easy to follow

Got it, thanks!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1