MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

4 BugBrand Boxes on a single PSU?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Author 4 BugBrand Boxes on a single PSU?
Petur
Does anyone know of a power supply that would allow me to daisy chain 4 BugBrand boxes (PTDelay, CrossOver Filter, PEQ and Spring Tanker). I cant find any info on the exact power consumption per box, so i guess it would be safest with PSU that outputs at least 2A since each box comes with a 500mA PSU? And i guess i will need some splitter cables with the PSU also for hooking up the boxes.

...trying to make some space in my FX case. Feels a but unnecessary to cram 4 PSUs plus a mains splitter in to the case if there is a more compact solution out there.
chrisdermo
I have used one of these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-DC-1000ma-1A-Power-Supply-5-5x2-1mm-2m- Mains-Plug-Transformer-CCTV-PSU-LED/371463358256?epid=1443895816&hash= item567cf10730:g:i7sAAOSwhcJWHRSo

to power a crossover filter (which I believe is actually closer to 300mA current draw), a double knot, tetrax, voltage memory and leploop multicassa with a simple guitar fx pedal five split daisy chain attached to it. No noise issues at all, and that's just a 1A power supply.

Ebay search brings up tons of 2A 12v 2.1mm positive tip power supplies for cheap, and even some 12v 3A supplies if you wanna be super safe with current draw. Would just have to try it out and see!
BugBrand
I was always spec'ing each of those at 500mA 12VDC as on each product listing but actually..
i) that's an over spec - the internal DCDC would take 300mA max
& ii) none of them draw the full 100mA per side from the DCDC.
Guess I like to be a bit conservative with such things.

[Note, if the PT Delay is one of the old 2011 ones with toggle time, that uses centre -ve (confusingly) - it came before the current red standards]

So, yes, 2A would be fine - if you can't find something suitable I always have stock of the 2.5A supply that I use for the frames.

An alternate (though more expensive) part solution is the Powered Frames which could hold 2 of the 3FW boxes and the SpringTank.

You're always very welcome to email me direct!
Petur
BugBrand wrote:
I was always spec'ing each of those at 500mA 12VDC as on each product listing but actually..
i) that's an over spec - the internal DCDC would take 300mA max
& ii) none of them draw the full 100mA per side from the DCDC.
Guess I like to be a bit conservative with such things.

[Note, if the PT Delay is one of the old 2011 ones with toggle time, that uses centre -ve (confusingly) - it came before the current red standards]

So, yes, 2A would be fine - if you can't find something suitable I always have stock of the 2.5A supply that I use for the frames.

An alternate (though more expensive) part solution is the Powered Frames which could hold 2 of the 3FW boxes and the SpringTank.

You're always very welcome to email me direct!

Hi Tom,

Is the frame exactly the width of two 3FW boxes and the spring tanker or will it leave any empty space (or do you have the exact width of the frame)? And also if its not too much to ask, could you post a picture of the 2.5A supply? Space is a bit precious in the case I plan to fit all of this plus some other stuff (hardware Tetris you know).

Thanks!
BugBrand
Yes, the frames hold 11FW (Frac Width = 1.5 inch width).
The PTDelay, COFilter & PEQ are all 3FW (4.5")
The SpringTanker is 5FW (7.5")

So, 2 x 3FW + 1 x 5FW fills it perfectly.

This 11FW frame can be set up desktop or I can change the power holes and add 19" rack ears -- in fact I currently have 7 frames set up at home in this way!

The 2.5A supply is here - though I just sourced the last lot from CPC (/Farnell) so you should be able to find a local supplier.
Petur
OK!

Will do some measurements. I'll get back to you if any of these options works out.

Thanks!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices  
Page 1 of 1