MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Logic help adjusting track tempos?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Logic help adjusting track tempos?
unexpectedbowtie
I've got an old Fostex 4 track cassette recorder that I am using to add a bit of colour to some elements of my music. My current workflow is:

1. Record the 'song' into Logic.
2. Isolate a particular synth lead line (or drums, or whatever) that I want, and recording it onto tape.
3. Re-recording the synth lead line back into Logic.
4. Lining the two tracks up.

The problem is that the tape deck plays back at a slightly different speed to the actual DAW track, and there's obviously no way to synch the hardware up.

I've found a few ways to stretch the time of the tape track out a bit to match the digital copy, but it isn't as easy as it seems like it should be. I end up having to adjust individual portions... so I wondered if anybody had an easy way to synch the two bits of audio up that I'm missing?

Thanks for the help!
Dcramer
I can't think of an easy way either.
In Logic there's a function that lets you set the tempo based locators and bar lengths that you set.
I use it all the time to get Logic bar lines to line up with an unsynced modular recording.
But I don't think that'll work as your only using the tape tracks for part of the piece.
Is it possible to get your tape deck to record and play by monitoring the tape head? That way you could use the tape deck in an FX send Loop and you'd simply need to time slip the Taped track to resync (due to tape head gap)
hmmm.....
noisejockey
Not sure if you've tried Elastic mode for time stretching, but I've found that quite fiddly. Otherwise agree with dcramer on Logic points.

How much colo(u)r does this process add for you, exactly? Is it worth running full stems or a whole mix through it to save time?

Also, WHAT is adding the colour? Is it the tape? Is it the preamps? As mentioned above, if you can live monitor the tape and then feed that back to its own track in Logic, that may make things easier than a full "render" to tape and another pass for a lay-back. I have a Marantz PMD430 that can do this and it's super handy - just acts as an effects/color box.

Following your workflow, my approach is usually to make loops out of the tape lay-backs for easier timing management, but I can imagine many compositions can't really be looped or managed in that way.
Michael O.
It seems like there must be a problem with your tape machine. If it's playing back the recorded material at a different speed than the daw then the pitch is necessarily different as well, so no amount of time stretching will resolve the issue. Does the Fostex have varispeed functionality? All other variables accounted for and working properly it should be as simple as nudging the tape track forward/backward in time.
unexpectedbowtie
Hey,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote:
Not sure if you've tried Elastic mode for time stretching, but I've found that quite fiddly.

I think that's what I've been doing already, and yeah.. it's pretty fiddly. Was hoping there was an easier way.

Quote:
Is it possible to get your tape deck to record and play by monitoring the tape head?

I don't think it monitors what's on the actual tape deck - just pass through monitoring. I'll double check though.

Quote:
Does the Fostex have varispeed functionality? All other variables accounted for and working properly it should be as simple as nudging the tape track forward/backward in time.

Yeah, it's an old tape deck that has seen better days. It does have vari-speed, but it's not much use, as even a slight tempo difference becomes obvious over three-four minutes - so drifts slowly out of time. It's not accurate enough to be much use sadly.
[/quote]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1