MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

I wish I was a fly on Aphex Twins wall
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author I wish I was a fly on Aphex Twins wall
Johnisfaster
I don’t know if this is the right place for this but I wish I could watch him work. Not for sound secrets but I want to know what his process is. Whats the first thing he does and how does he bring that around to a complete track.

I stumbled on this track made with a bunch of the new Korg gear and the dudes on a whole other level. Does he just record tons of jamming and then expertly rearrange it in the computer or is he sending a bunch of program changes to all the gear to arrange complex tracks? That can’t all be manual pattern changed can it? Hell for all I know he burns everything to CDJ’s and is just a master and fuckin shit up with it.

Navs
Nice. Sounds like Mick Karn's rubber bass.
Reese P. Dubin
in the syrobobkers interview, he says that all the tracks on Syro were recorded live to 2 track. i absolutely believe this is true, it doesnt sound like a bunch of ableton bars scrolling along at all, and hes been doing this for 30 years.
making it all double ridiculous is that the album sounds like steely dan, production wise
dubonaire
He has used many different production techniques over the years including tracker software. I think a common feature of many prolific artists is they don't limit themselves to one way of making music, but what they do is make a lot of music.
CDavis
Maybe cirklon sending program changes?
Navs
CDavis wrote:

Would be my thought too.
dubonaire
Navs wrote:
CDavis wrote:

Would be my thought too.

Possible, although the Korg parts sound like they are being played to me. I don't think it matters.
Johnisfaster
On listening to this more it does seem like hes just changing patterns on all the machines. Either in real time or I don’t know if those machines have any song modes.

I get the idea where some guys might make 2 or 3 patterns for a track and then riff on those, Richard might make 40-50 patterns and then arranges them into complex tracks.
tron23
Navs wrote:
CDavis wrote:

Would be my thought too.

Sounds like it is all cirklon, i think i can hear that clock razz
Johnisfaster
tron23 wrote:
Navs wrote:
CDavis wrote:

Would be my thought too.

Why the circlon? Any sequencer can send profram changes.
D_Bowman
I think I remember reading that the Korg tracks were Cirklon.

Edit: It is cirklon according the interview:

http://item.warp.net/interview/aphex-twin-speaks-to-tatsuya-takahashi/
gruebleengourd
I would not be surprised if he was still using Dr T's KCS.
tron23
Johnisfaster wrote:
tron23 wrote:
Navs wrote:
CDavis wrote:

Would be my thought too.

Why the circlon? Any sequencer can send profram changes.

yeah but identifying which clock is which is the next level in this music tech thing. Guinness ftw!
LoFi Junglist
Whats the point of a being a fly if you cant fill up your backpack with souvenirs and leg it Ninja

I'd like to be a pack mule on Aphex's wall.
minime123
gruebleengourd wrote:

gruebleengourd
minime123 wrote:
gruebleengourd wrote:

lol. I don't. It's still the most fun sequencer to play.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1