MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Confession time - processing audio
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Author Confession time - processing audio
chamomileshark
ok, I have used synths other than a couple of goes in the 80s I have never processed audio through them.

I'd like to do that now but frankly I don't understand it and so I'm worried I might damage something.

Is it ok to patch things like a microphone, a guitar pedal output or a tape machine directly into inputs on the 300 series?

I was thinking I'd probably actually patch to a Blacet attenuator for additional control / safety.
carygrace
chamomileshark wrote:
ok, I have used synths other than a couple of goes in the 80s I have never processed audio through them.

I'd like to do that now but frankly I don't understand it and so I'm worried I might damage something.

Is it ok to patch things like a microphone, a guitar pedal output or a tape machine directly into inputs on the 300 series?

I was thinking I'd probably actually patch to a Blacet attenuator for additional control / safety.

You wouldn't damage anything, but a microphone or a guitar pedal would be too low level without going through a preamp first. You need to go into a mic or instrument preamp, or a mixer with a preamp to bring them up to line level.
elmerfudd
As above...I have never had to attenuate, most modules will handle +15dbV, hotter than most console sends. Buffering and impedance matching are more of an issue. I like to use contact mics on things as modulation sources and have built fet input devices to boost those signals. Outputs are another issue, if you are inserting pedals and stompboxes (especially vintage ones) you will need a reamp/ attenuator to get the modules down to a safe level and make up gain to feed it back into the modular.
chamomileshark
thanks both - I do have a standalone pre-amp here, a Pre-Sonus mic pre-amp. I hardly use it - I got it as part of the vocoding I didn't actually get around to doing (mic to pre-amp to compressor to vocoder).

presumably I just connect it up and turn up the gain?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Page 1 of 1