MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What's better than SilentWay?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Author What's better than SilentWay?
tibbon
I find the UI and integration of SilentWay into Ableton to be absolutely horrid. Bad defaults, frequently too many options, wondering why I have no CV coming out of my ES-3, really screwy routing for tuning the main voice controller, poor automation integration. I've literally never been able to get into any workflow with it.

But what's better, and works relatively well with Ableton? I just need to make my eurorack happy and SilentWay is driving me nuts.
x2mirko
I agree that the silent way software is very confusing, even after you understand its intent. The problem is more to find easier solutions, depending on what you consider easy.

If you have max for live, you could just use max, either generating the control signals yourself or using BEAP-modules to do most of that work for you. It's easy enough to patch something up that works. The huge advantage is that you can set it up and customize it exactly as you wish and you can add create a seamlessly integrated UI that works directly in ableton live. But it's of course a bit of work and you have to be at least somewhat comfortable in Max.

Reaktor blocks is also great for interfacing with eurorack and its relatively straight-forward for a modular user to use since you already understand the general paradigm and don't need to look under the hood anywhere. It's a bit expensive for just cv interfacing, but you also get a great software instrument with it.
CopperHydra
You might like this free m4l?

http://spektroaudio.com/cv-toolkit-mini
Moon Indigo
I use Reaktor Vst in Ableton with an ES8. Flexible, creative, usable and fun. Love it.
kresbeatz
Actually I didn't hear about equivalent alternative. I don't find that Silent Way is extremely confusing, but it can be tricky, especially at first, you're right. GUI is not my cup of tea wink However, I have doubts that you'll find something so powerful, but super easy to set up. I made several templates and it's much easier now.
mt3
CopperHydra wrote:

Whoa.
Free!
nanners
The Grump
mt3 wrote:
CopperHydra wrote:

Whoa.
Free!
nanners

Ok, free...but how well does it work?
x2mirko
The Grump wrote:
mt3 wrote:
CopperHydra wrote:

Whoa.
Free!
nanners

Ok, free...but how well does it work?

Sending CV properly is ridiculously easy and there's basically nothing you can screw up if you know enough about max to put something like this together. So it'll work just fine and you should just look into whether it has the functions you need or not.
Etan
Be sure to try Modulation Processor 3244, it's a really good modular CV generator.
debolish
CopperHydra wrote:

Full version is wicked as well. Runs standalone, but can sync to your DAW via Ableton Link or MIDI beat clock. It's under $20 usd.

http://spektroaudio.com/cv-toolkit-standalone
skyshaver
I use Reaktor with the ES3. The routing can be a bit confusing but Reaktor is straightforward enough. I've also gone straight out of Max and into the ES3. Yet to really play with M4L though I have all the software and the skillset. Just haven't found a problem I need to throw at it yet I guess.
HowDoIKnow
Out of interest, what hardware do you use to get the signal out of the computer you run Reaktor from? I find it very confusing as to what will or won't work - I have quite an old windows PC with a built-in soundcard that I am quite sure won't work!

Cheers

hdik
grillo
I have an expert sleepers es-3, it takes adat optical that I run out of my rme interface.

I don’t own silent way, I’m quite happy with the spektro audio cv toolkit or just running pulses and other audio samples from the daw to the modular through the es-3
skyshaver
I use an ES3 with optical out from my MOTU Ultralite AVB to get stuff out of Reaktor. There is a list of audio devices on the Expert Sleepers website that will work with CV without using an ES breakout like the ES3. If they work with Silent Way I'm sure they'll work with Reaktor.

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/siwacompatibility.html
Riggar
kresbeatz said
I made several templates and it's much easier now

Ooo can you tell me more ... I've struggled a bit with Silent Way. Anything to make it easier would be of benefit
Agawell
Rigger - most DAWs allow the saving of template files, so for example you can open a new project that already has tracks set up for drums, bass, whatever and the routing for it... and plugins set up...

you set up a basic project make sure that it is working and then save it either as a template (preferable) or as a starter project and use that as the basis to work from...

this can also be done with silent way... it's just a plugin... so create a project, set it up how you want to work, make sure it's working and save it... then when you want to start a new project create the project file either from the template or starter project and all the settings for the plugins (in this case silent way) are ready to work with

you can do this many times so that you have different starting points

ie multiple voice controllers going to specific outs, recording to a stereo input; a single voice controller and a load of lfos, with individual inputs for all your voice modules: basically whatever floats your boat...

if you need to add extra voice controllers or whatever, you can add them to the in progress project, save it strip it back to a starting point for that configuration and then save as a template

probably the only thing you'd need to do is check the calibration of the voice controllers and vcos, if they sound like they have drifted - due to knocking tuning pots on the vcos or changing the interface

so you only have to go through the pain of set up once for each type of project and not once for each project
Kitai
tibbon wrote:
I find the UI and integration of SilentWay into Ableton to be absolutely horrid. Bad defaults, frequently too many options, wondering why I have no CV coming out of my ES-3, really screwy routing for tuning the main voice controller, poor automation integration. I've literally never been able to get into any workflow with it.

But what's better, and works relatively well with Ableton? I just need to make my eurorack happy and SilentWay is driving me nuts.

Dont know what you think about using a controller, but I found the cheaper Arturia Beatstep is a perfect way to integrate clock with Euro. The Beatstep pro is great to and offers more options.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software  
Page 1 of 1