MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The Aleph Patch-a walk through
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author The Aleph Patch-a walk through
vgermuse
EDIT: I've just updated and simplified my little Aleph patch:

5 years ago I created a patch that I called The Krell https://vimeo.com/48466272
It was developed on a Buchla system and its name paid homage to Bebe and Louis
Barron and their pioneering electronic music from the film Forbidden Planet.

For the past many months I’ve be working of a similar yet different patch I call
The Aleph after the short story of the same name by visionary and imaginative writer, Jorges Luis Borges. web.mit.edu/allanmc/www/borgesaleph.pdf
“an Aleph is one of the points in space that contains all other points.”

This patch was developed using a constellation of eurorack modules. Hopefully this description and walk-through of building the patch will be a catalyst for others to develop, enjoy and explore! I look forward to you all taking this basic patch to new places. w00t

My thanks to fellow travelers along the way who have encouraged, prodded and given me feedback: Bruno Liberda, Daniel Cramer, James Cigler, Gerald Good, Darrin Wiener, Bruce Bayard, Adam Scramstad, Charles Seeholzer, Michael Vannice, Colin Spiby, Robert Coburn, Federico Placidi, Michael Maag and Matrixsynth to name a few… Thank you!
kcd06
Hookay...another patch to break my fragile little brain.

So, as I understand, the DUSG and S&H are talking to each other and generating weirdness in the form of CV and gates, which is used to drive one input on a variable waveshape (Moog-ish...?) VCO with the waveshape being morphed by an independently cycling lfo, and the (Moog-ish...?) VCO also getting CV from a second oscillator that is itself driven mostly by the S&H. Is this correct, or am I off in preset happyland?

So, obvious-oblivious question: how/why is this a different patch needing a new name, and not a new iteration of a/your Krell patch?
vgermuse
Ding, ding, ding! w00t
What you said ...

kcd06 wrote:
Hookay...another patch to break my fragile little brain.

So, as I understand, the DUSG and S&H are talking to each other and generating weirdness in the form of CV and gates, which is used to drive one input on a variable waveshape (Moog-ish...?) VCO with the waveshape being morphed by an independently cycling lfo, and the (Moog-ish...?) VCO also getting CV from a second oscillator that is itself driven mostly by the S&H. Is this correct, or am I off in preset happyland?

So, obvious-oblivious question: how/why is this a different patch needing a new name, and not a new iteration of a/your Krell patch?
sduck
Maybe too pedantic, but sub serge-ish for moog-ish. Perhaps buchla-ish. Most of my moog-ish vcos don't have variable waveshape outs. I'm thinking of trying this with my buchla-ish 258j, or maybe getting crazy and using a e350.

Oh, and thanks Todd for posting this!
vgermuse
sduck wrote:
Maybe too pedantic, but sub serge-ish for moog-ish. Perhaps buchla-ish. Most of my moog-ish vcos don't have variable waveshape outs. I'm thinking of trying this with my buchla-ish 258j, or maybe getting crazy and using a e350.

Oh, and thanks Todd for posting this!

Would be cool to hear it with either of those oscillators. I see this as a base concept patch, a starting place for play, exploration and substitution or translation into other formats. Bring them on :-)
best wishes, Todd
kcd06
I used the term "Moog-ish" only as it was the first vco that had a sweepable waveshape that came to my mind, as opposed to a DOTCOM style vco with independent waveshape outputs. Yes, a Buchla or Serge equivalent would be more appropriate, but I don't know much about those families.

Regardless, whats the difference twixt a Krell and Aleph patch?
vgermuse
kcd06 wrote:
I used the term "Moog-ish" only as it was the first vco that had a sweepable waveshape that came to my mind, as opposed to a DOTCOM style vco with independent waveshape outputs. Yes, a Buchla or Serge equivalent would be more appropriate, but I don't know much about those families.

Regardless, whats the difference twixt a Krell and Aleph patch?

I'm not very technical, all these patches come from endless empirical journeys.
In a moment I'll try and clarify the distinction between them. Meanwhile,
You can compare:

With

The Basic, No-Frills Krell is
A single cycling Env. Gen. (A-D): Attack is randomized with one CV source and the Decay is randomized by an different one. The EG has both CV and Trigger out -- these are sent and processed then to an Oscillator and its Mod Index/Timbre/Filtering etc.

The Basic Aleph is
2 cycling EG with CV and Trigger output. The 2 EG are cross-modulated.
The cycling EGs, in this case a Serge Dual Universal Slope Generator has attenuverters on A and D and also a combined CV input that controls both.
The Main oscillator needs to CV Frequency inputs and a variable waveshape CV input is a bonus. This is about as far as my feeble technical mind can take it. Hope it helps.

These are not locked in stone nor meant to be definitive -- rather, it is my deep wish that these are merely jumping of points for others to continue the research and exploration. At the very least a catalyst for your imagination. w00t
musicalfungus
vgermuse

I don't own any oscillators with multiple 1v/oct frequeny inputs... Time to explore this and see what can be achieved with my own system. Will probably try it with the DPO. Thanks for the constant source of inspiration Todd. I've enjoyed playing with the Krell for years. But now I am excited to patch up the Aleph and see what new sonic territory I can discover!
vgermuse
musicalfungus wrote:
vgermuse

I don't own any oscillators with multiple 1v/oct frequeny inputs... Time to explore this and see what can be achieved with my own system. Will probably try it with the DPO. Thanks for the constant source of inspiration Todd. I've enjoyed playing with the Krell for years. But now I am excited to patch up the Aleph and see what new sonic territory I can discover!

Thanks much! I'm guessing the DPO will work fine with 1v/oct input and either lin/exp fm in. I saw on IG your goal is for a Buchla 259 et al, yeah the 259 would rock. Happy exploring w00t
Dcramer
I was able to create a version of Todd’s Aleph a few weeks ago and here’s the thread, complete with video:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=190026&highlight=

It’s really a different beast than the Krell.
The Krell links a cycling function generator to a clocked Random out put that changes the audio oscillators pitch once every cycle.
The rise and fall of the function generator are separately modulated by other oscillation thereby creating different shapes and cycle speeds.
And finally, the function generator controls the amplitude (and even timbre) of the final voice.

The Aleph is a more complex and interactive (almost tail-chasing) modulation that controls two oscillators with one sometimes doing audio rate frequency modulation of the other. The wide ranging frequency of the modulating oscillator and its carrier setup some very chaotic interactions. I used an AFG and Maths as the heart of my version so I think it reacted a little differently but I listened to it for days woah and it really would just hang for a while and then break off into new directions.

I’m going to take another crack at it and try taming it a bit (I did a cool version of the Krell, quantized in both time and pitch)
w00t
vgermuse
Thanks Daniel! I really appreciate exploring this patch with you. And appreciate your detailed description and expiration. Looking forward to more interaction as we journey into the Chaos and Equlibrium! w00t
Oh and thanks to for the link in Eurorack!
mgscheue
vgermuse wrote:

Thanks much! I'm guessing the DPO will work fine with 1v/oct input and either lin/exp fm in. I saw on IG your goal is for a Buchla 259 et al, yeah the 259 would rock. Happy exploring w00t

Yeah, I did exactly that with the E352: used the FM in as the substitute for the second pitch input.
DanPacific
Looking forward to explore this thumbs up
NiteEagle
Got a bare bones patch with the SV-1 and Rampage working. Had to clock the SV-1 S&H with Rising or Falling instead of Out A. Now it's time to build on that.

vgermuse
I've been continuing to pare down and simplify my little Aleph patch. Enjoy! And I look forward hearing what directions other's might take this in...

charonme
what is the right END -> left CV BOTH supposed to do on the DUSG? isn't END a trigger output and CV BOTH a CV input?
pedalhead
I had a go with this patch the past few nights with varied results. The first night I set it up with a Dixie II modulating another one. It turned into a gurgling mess. Going with that theme I set it up for a cross modulated Benjolin the next night. Results were what you would expect - amusing but not particularly useful. The next night I was getting ready to tear it down and try something different when I remembered Barton’s advice encouraging patience with this patch. So I hooked the Dixies back up, dialed in different frequencies on both and gave the function generators (Maths) a bit more logarithmic curve and almost instantly found myself in mutant jazz land. Everything is hooked up the same as the original patch, nothing extra except for after playing with the chaos/equilibrium God button (Maths ch 1 cycle) for a while, I decided to automate it with a switch between /4 and /8 clock from a 120 bpm source to give it a bit more rhythmic feel. I also used the Sputnik WCRS in place of the Ultra Random. Everything is self playing and recorded in one take with just a single voice from the Dixie being played by the Aleph. Of course I couldn’t resist a second take with some additional pings and plonks from Elements and.. Plonk.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/pedalhead666/aleph-plays-dixie[/s]

[s]http://soundcloud.com/pedalhead666/aleph-plays-dixie-take-ii[/s]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 1