MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Introducing the Pittsburgh Modular Micro Sequence
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Introducing the Pittsburgh Modular Micro Sequence
Paranormal Patroler
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcQAMQLBdnf/?taken-by=pghmodular

New Micro Sequence module. 8 sequence steps. 8 sequence direction modes. 8 quantized scales. 4 external modulation destinations. Integrated tap tempo clock. 8 step external clock divider. Details on Tuesday 12/5.

Super excited! Between this and the Malekko Varigate 4+, I think I'll go with this, for now. screaming goo yo
MAXTHEDOG
Uh huh. Uh huh. Very interesting..
It's peanut butter jelly time!
2disbetter
Yeah saw this on Facebook as well. Really like the design. Looking forward to some demos.

2d
Soy Sos
It's amazing, actually. So easy and quick to use.
Flexible...................
Paranormal Patroler
Got some questions on the design, although it looks fairly straightforward. How do you change stuff like length? What does the extra CV output do? Does the module also fire gates? Is there an option to fire a gate at 1st step only?

Yeah, out of all the 8 step sequencers out there, this one is the one that might dethrone my STG Graphic Sequencer out of my live case. Looks super nice.
djthopa
Looks very nice. Those fades are with leds right?
hawkfuzz
'micro' in the same row as major, minor, and chromatic...or is that just a typical unquantized mode...?

Looks good though people.
NoLegs
hawkfuzz wrote:
'micro' in the same row as major, minor, and chromatic...or is that just a typical unquantized mode...?

Looks good though people.

From the Instagram post they mentioned it was Microtonal.

I also saw that it is 10hp and will retail for $199.
NoLegs
Paranormal Patroler wrote:
Got some questions on the design, although it looks fairly straightforward. How do you change stuff like length? What does the extra CV output do? Does the module also fire gates? Is there an option to fire a gate at 1st step only?

Yeah, out of all the 8 step sequencers out there, this one is the one that might dethrone my STG Graphic Sequencer out of my live case. Looks super nice.

Looks like it has a Gate Input and a Gate Output, so I'm guessing it will fire gates. The CV output according to the IG post is an unquantized CV output 0V-5V.
dumbledog
Oh my Stars that is cute and will totally give my Varigate 4 a run for its money.
reppiks
https://pittsburghmodular.com/lifeforms-micro-sequence
behndy
oh my. that is NICE.
jschussler
I'm confused:

"The channel sliders control the output voltage of both the quantized pitch output and the analog CV output. Placing the slider in the down position enables the channel mute functionality for the quantized output. When a muted channel is active, the gate output does not trigger and the quantized pitch output does not change from the previous active channel. The output of the analog CV jack is not affected by the mute functionality and will output a voltage corresponding to the position of the slider."

So, by "down position" do they mean slide to the bottom of a slider's range, or have they somehow created a push-button/slider combo? Because the final sentence doesn't make sense if they haven't...how could you have both mute and "a voltage corresponding to the position of the slider?"

Am I just being thick?
Paranormal Patroler
Seems that you mute steps by slider down which would be 0v for the CV output. It is weird. I don't see the reason why you'd need an extra CV output. Would be better if they went for a dedicated reset input, because losing the reset when utilizing that gate input otherwise is a bummer.

Also wish that the gate out could be programmed to fire off a trigger at step 1 when externally clocked. That's useful for simple syncing, it's easy to implement and could be programmed in setup mode. An oversight imho.
blacklight
Paranormal Patroler wrote:

Super excited! Between this and the Malekko Varigate 4+, I think I'll go with this, for now. screaming goo yo

Yeah, this blows the Varigate 4 out of the water, looks super useful for live because of it’s small HP.

Is there any way to control the sequence direction with cv? (like a stepped random or another sequencer for example) that would really spice up things.
MossGarden
The Varigate 4+ is 12hp and has 4 channels with present banks, that 2hp extra goes a long way. Th 4+ trumps this in my opinion. Saying that, this still looks great.
jwm
here is a video (albeit a not very informative one) of it in use.

Paranormal Patroler
MossGarden wrote:
The Varigate 4+ is 12hp and has 4 channels with present banks, that 2hp extra goes a long way. Th 4+ trumps this in my opinion. Saying that, this still looks great.

Yes, but good luck figuring out the slider positions for each of your 4 channels. I'll go with immediacy, for now. Still, happy that both modules have sliders. I can imagine getting both at some point in the future.

jschussler wrote:
I'm confused:

"The channel sliders control the output voltage of both the quantized pitch output and the analog CV output. Placing the slider in the down position enables the channel mute functionality for the quantized output. When a muted channel is active, the gate output does not trigger and the quantized pitch output does not change from the previous active channel. The output of the analog CV jack is not affected by the mute functionality and will output a voltage corresponding to the position of the slider."

So, by "down position" do they mean slide to the bottom of a slider's range, or have they somehow created a push-button/slider combo? Because the final sentence doesn't make sense if they haven't...how could you have both mute and "a voltage corresponding to the position of the slider?"

Am I just being thick?

That's actually the only part on the site that doesn't make sense, and it is rather important for me. I emailed them and will report back. The video above kinda shows the muted steps though and it's not encouraging ...
Soy Sos
From what I remember, when you move a slider all the way down,
there is no gate and that step is off. Richard spent a lot of time juggling
the features that would fit within the form factor and this is what
he came up with. It may not be the perfect sequencer for everyone
in every situation, but for size and price, I think it's pretty great.
Paranormal Patroler
Soy Sos wrote:
From what I remember, when you move a slider all the way down,
there is no gate and that step is off. Richard spent a lot of time juggling
the features that would fit within the form factor and this is what
he came up with. It may not be the perfect sequencer for everyone
in every situation, but for size and price, I think it's pretty great.

True, but I don't get the "analog CV will still output the CV value of the slider" part if that's the case. That would always be 0V so why bother mentioning it? From the video ... is there any chance a step is off when the slider is moved downwards? hmmm.....
clusterchord
i think they mean it will still output the CV value of the PREVIOUS slider i.e. step.

that means once you turn off any given step, the CV will "hold over" from the previous slider/step thruout its duration, and you wont get a blip/glitch.
Ryzyn
They just posted a video of the mute functionality!

joem
I was a little confused just by looking at the initial photo, but after watching the functionality videos on their youtube page (edit: oh, they're on the site too), I now REALLY want this. Nice work Richard with the features and UI -- much more my style than some other sequencers.
Paranormal Patroler
So the CV output will fire off 0Vs, which is useless. Still, with that UI there aren't many options available. It's a weird functionality though; some people might want to fire a quantized note at 0V, what then? hmmm..... I mean, you can't decide that for the user, it's a bit limiting.
1960strat
Does it have the same functionality as the Varigate 4+?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4