MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

BPM Generator
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author BPM Generator
Haralds:Werk
The BPM Generator give you +5V pulses output with 20ms length, from 40 to 240 beats per minute. Controlled by a microprocessor. The BPM are displayed with three 7 segment LED. The speed is adjusted with an rotary encoder.

The documentation for download can be found in my website.

Most work is done by the microprocessor. The micro takes care of the output timing and the multiplexing off the display. All four outputs are independently buffered.

rizoma
Cool.
So this it outputting like 1ppqn?
Would be even better if you can select differents pulse divisions!
Nice work anyway applause
rizoma wrote:
Cool.
So this it outputting like 1ppqn?
Would be even better if you can select differents pulse divisions!
Nice work anyway applause

Thanks. The intention for the BPM Generator is to give you a steady beat. Maybe i get you wrong. What do you mean with different pulse divisions here? Instead off 240BPM switching between 240, 480, 960, ...?
av500
e.g. 120 BPM means 120 quarter notes per minute, so it would be nice to have an output with 16th notes, so 4 x 120 per minute. and maybe one per bar, so 1/4 x 120. add a bit of UI here and there and voila, instant Pamela wink
rizoma
av500 wrote:
e.g. 120 BPM means 120 quarter notes per minute, so it would be nice to have an output with 16th notes, so 4 x 120 per minute. and maybe one per bar, so 1/4 x 120. add a bit of UI here and there and voila, instant Pamela wink

yeah, that was what I was intending!
But just for the sake of correctness (please forgive me if I'm being annoying) the beat "lenght" depends on your time signature e.g. in 3/8 you got 1/8 long beats at 120 bpm you got 120/2 quarter notes.

I was just saying something like yeah the micro is there it would be nice to have more options, other than that, the module looks really cool and well done!
av500 wrote:

Thanks. I am already planning an updated version. I will put those outputs in parallel. So you have the 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 and 1/32 outputs parallel on the front.
rizoma wrote:
av500 wrote:

yeah, that was what I was intending!
But just for the sake of correctness (please forgive me if I'm being annoying) the beat "lenght" depends on your time signature e.g. in 3/8 you got 1/8 long beats at 120 bpm you got 120/2 quarter notes.

I was just saying something like yeah the micro is there it would be nice to have more options, other than that, the module looks really cool and well done!

Thanks. I am already planning an updated version. I never used MIDI so far. I will have a look in the specs and add those features.
dhaillant
That's funny, I made a BPM Generator few years ago (2014, time goes fast) with almost the same design. cool

There are some difference though:
I used a potentiometer instead of a rotary encoder. It was ok, but could lead to "flickering" problems (when the pot position was close to two BPM values, some noise can make the UC flip between the two values and add some lag).

The display was based on Serial Shift Decoders. While easy to use (only few pins used), the amount of current drawn is SO huge that it required a big PSU. Even the 7805 needed a heatsink! Dead Banana

But it had several outputs, with several timings:
4 binary outputs (1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8) and some ternary outputs (1/3 1/6 1/12) and even a 24 PPQN!

I made two versions, but never really finished it... sad banana
I use one in my test rack, connected to a 8 step Razmasynth Sequencer. Never made a front panel.
av500
dhaillant wrote:

I used a potentiometer instead of a rotary encoder. It was ok, but could lead to "flickering" problems (when the pot position was close to two BPM values, some noise can make the UC flip between the two values and add some lag).

easy to fix in SW by adding a threshold for switching values
dhaillant
av500 wrote:
easy to fix in SW by adding a threshold for switching values

Yes, good idea d'oh!
I chose the potentiometer solution for BPM CVfication. Linear scale.
delete
dhaillant wrote:
That's funny, I made a BPM Generator few years ago (2014, time goes fast) with almost the same design. cool

There are some difference though:

The display was based on Serial Shift Decoders. While easy to use (only few pins used), the amount of current drawn is SO huge that it required a big PSU. Even the 7805 needed a heatsink! Dead Banana

But it had several outputs, with several timings:
4 binary outputs (1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8) and some ternary outputs (1/3 1/6 1/12) and even a 24 PPQN!

I made two versions, but never really finished it... sad banana
I use one in my test rack, connected to a 8 step Razmasynth Sequencer. Never made a front panel.

Mine was build December 2015. The current drawn can be a problem so I went for multiplexing the LED with some discrete circuitry. And used 12V here. I am already planing a next version. It will have some more outputs and sync in/out. And maybe a LCD display.
dhaillant
Haralds:Werk wrote:

Mine was build December 2015. The current drawn can be a problem so I went for multiplexing the LED with some discrete circuitry. And used 12V here. I am already planing a next version. It will have some more outputs and sync in/out. And maybe a LCD display.

If I was making an updated version, I would use a second ┬Ác for the display instead of the Serial Shift Decoders. That would allow some nice multiplexing too.

LCD is a good idea but plain 7 digit LCD displays are difficult to drive and I never found a small enough dot matrix display to keep low HP width.
dhaillant
My code can be found here: https://github.com/dhaillant/bpm-gen

It's not pretty, but it works well. This is fun!
jeffholder
Did you update it yet?
and does one of you two maybe have some spare pcbs for this to sell? I am looking to build a clock generator for my band, but i can't make pcbs myself.
dhaillant
No update on my side.

I can give one though, in exchange of some software Mr. Green
Grumble
I always wonder why people use this:

Instead of this:
Grumble wrote:
I always wonder why people use this:

Instead of this:

I use the second version for critical CV outputs only. The first one everywhere else. Those 249R output resistor usually does no harm when driving the usual 100k input resistance. I never had an problems with them.
jeffholder wrote:
Did you update it yet?
and does one of you two maybe have some spare pcbs for this to sell? I am looking to build a clock generator for my band, but i can't make pcbs myself.

No update planned. There will be a new implementation. Maybe next year. PM or use eMail on my website for PCB.
jeffholder
thanks! i will contact you.
Eric the Red
If I am reading this right, this BPM Generator can act as a master clock for multiple sequencers. Is that correct?
dhaillant
Eric the Red wrote:
If I am reading this right, this BPM Generator can act as a master clock for multiple sequencers. Is that correct?

That's the purpose.
Eric the Red wrote:

All four outputs are individually buffered. The output resistance is 240R. So you should be able to drive multiple sequencers with every output. As long as they work with +5V triggers.
jimboburgess
It's got all that panel space how tough would it be to add a tap tempo button?
jimboburgess wrote:
It's got all that panel space how tough would it be to add a tap tempo button?

It should be easy. I'll include it in the next version.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1