MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Ryk M185 Sequencer - per step repeat and gate mode
Ayab
PCB run for Ryk M185 Sequencer with step repeat switches and gate mode switches for each stage, plus random & pingpong modes.

Over on electro-music there is the opportunity to add your name to the list for a further run of pcb’s for the excellent M185 sequencer by ryktnk. For details see:

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27157&postorder=asc

On the last page of the thread (p.35) ryktnk has stated that he will order a run of pcb’s if there is enough interest and that serious orders should be confirmed to him by private message.

I am not connected to the project, am just keen to see another run of these boards produced and he ok'd this message!
groove
Ayab wrote:
PCB run for the M185 Sequencer with step repeat switches and gate mode switches for each stage, plus random & pingpong modes.

Over on electro-music there is the opportunity to add your name to the list for a further run of pcb’s for the excellent M185 sequencer by ryktnk. For details see:

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27157&postorder=asc

On the last page of the thread (p.35) ryktnk has stated that he will order a run of pcb’s if there is enough interest and that serious orders should be confirmed to him by private message.

Do you know if there is any source for the slide switches? I have been unable to source them anywhere.

edit: I see, it is suggested to use pots. That is too bad, I wish we could get the switches for it.
masterofstuff124
people in the EM thread pointed out there are small alpha rotary switches. I could see that working well.
JohnLRice
There are a few posts about using rotary switches, which seems to me the obvious choice over pots. Not mentioned are the excellent but expensive Grayhill switches like these:
http://www.grayhill.com/products/rotary-switches/

PWM
Ayab, thanks for the heads up! Ryk, PMed
ZZ Ardoz
ooh - thanks!
Bamboombaps
im into this but will need a euro panel if anyone is doing them and also-

lord barcode please bless us with your panel pcb making skills

http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/m185_panel_wiring_387.pdf
julian
I posted this screen grab to the electro music forum earlier -

Its a file from way back (last modified 2011!) right at the end of the previous building time, when Ryk had run out of switched, but some people still had pcbs. I was working on a panel (which never actually got cut) for the rotaries.

At the time, i made a bunch of euro panels, eg -

and a bunch of 5u, eg -

(neither of the above are my builds, or my photos, i just cut the panels)

There were two versions of each format panel, one for the 2.0 and one for the 2.1 o/s versions. A later "mod" added per-step portamento switches, and i would include this on the relevant panels in any future run.

If there was enough interest, i may print the panels, rather than engrave them - all just depends on numbers and final details.
megaohm
Please, someone preordering request that a reset input be added!
Super fun module but the omission of a reset input cuts it's usefulness in half.
It's the one thing that bummed me out about this module (well..and the wiring, too. lol ).
sduck
I just checked the docs to see if a reset jack could be easily added, but it seems the reset button is also used to enter the portamento programming mode, so adding a jack in line there might confuse things. So it's something that's definitely worth asking for.
megaohm
sduck wrote:
I just checked the docs to see if a reset jack could be easily added, but it seems the reset button is also used to enter the portamento programming mode, so adding a jack in line there might confuse things. So it's something that's definitely worth asking for.

I built a few of these previously and for one version I tried to get a reset function. I remembering the reset button is like pressing the forward and reverse buttons at the same time (don't have scheme in front of me).
Thought it would be an easy mod but didn't get it to work.
STILL think it could work but need to look again and perhaps try harder!

But I think you're right that it might conflict with other things.
It's a shame because a reset input on a sequencer module is pretty essential.
Ryk may be able to work this out if he can be convinced it is worthwhile.
I don't know anything about programming chips so I'm just speculating it's doable.
julian
This is a very very rough preview (as in i know the text is not centred, etc.)

I think that all the components fit into 42hp (just 2hp wider than the euro panel in the photo above)

There is very little line work etc above - the finished item will look "prettier" but this is just to be sure everything fits.
Ayab
Glad some folks are interested. Will let you know when I hear if the run is going ahead - but I will probably just be repeating what is over on electro music.

Megaohm - have requested the reset function input jack and will let you know answer.

Julian - I would go for one of your euro panels - way beyond my diy efforts! Look forward to seeing you final design for rotary controls if this all goes ahead cool
julian
I just posted in electro music.

This is the style ill be aiming for with the m185 panels -

I really like the panel colour / line work / knob combination (neither the build, nor the photo is mine - i just cut the metal)

Im trying to talk John up to laying out a pcb for the front panel components too, but he's not biting just yet! ; )
Ayab
There is some news from Ryk on his M185 Sequencer project over on Electro-Music.com

Ryk will be supplying the sliding potentiometers if required and also may be doing control panel pcb's

I was especially excited to hear that there will be more options per step to give the sequencer further possibilities.
Bamboombaps
I'm pretty much all in for this now I think. Hope the wirings not too crazy
NS4W
Looks great! Will ordering be at electro-music or here a well?
efexor
Wow,i'm interested.
Ayab
Ordering will probably be on Electro-Music only
Ayab
Ryk has just posted on electro-music:

"Good news !

I found a source of new 8way slide switches, they are a bit smaller
than the previous ones.

The big difference is these are PCB mount, the old ones had threaded
holes and could be panel mounted.

Any one have a preference ?"
Ayab
To keep fellow wigglers up to date:

Ryk has posted over on Electro-Music:-

"Hi
Sorry for the delay.
The new PCB layouts are nearing completion, it has taken
a while as I have redesigned a lot of the circuitry, mostly
for ease of build but also to offer some more functionality
and future midi implementation . . .
Wiring the boards will hopefully be less painful, as there is
know provision for cable headers.
-ryk"

Exciting that more functionality and midi implementation is being added!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1