MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

RECORD - some observatiosn so far
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Alyseum  
Author RECORD - some observatiosn so far
VintageTravler
Hey all,

I have one of the RECRD devices because I wanted a quick way to capture what is going on as I just jam out without the need for a computer all the time. In looking around I decided to pick one of these up.

Here are some observations after using it for a short time:
Pros:
1) you have a few diffrent recording formats - great for many, I prefer using the wav file format myself, but hey - great to have the options
2) very strait forward, press record and go on about playing... press stop, playback, and repeat as you like.
3) small enough that I don't mind having it in the case --- well, just in case I want to record.

Cons:
1) I wish it started the recording in wav format and not OGG as the defualt, but that was simple enough to fix.
2) I was surprised I could not listen to the output at the same time the input was connected but not recording
3) It was not always consistent about playing the output while recording so I ended up using mults to go into the record and then over to my headphones out module.
4) I often have a small dump file on the SD card every time I go to copy files back to my PC

Summary:
Nice to have onboard as I know othere devices can record - such as the Disting mk4 and other --- but I like not tying up a that type of device to record when I just want to only record and not use/resample/etc. as i'm playing.

Thanks,
Brett
automat
Some observations from my side
* how do you set the date on the player? Right now file dates are set to sometime in 2060s, which I am not happy about
* on my Mac, I was unable to make MP3 recordings work. I now recorded OGG which worked but the signal seems very hot. I will need to further reduce the input (it was set to 0; I'll try -5 DB which is the next available setting)
* the user manual is an insult
* as Brett already mentioned, the first thing that came to my mind is to put Record in the out and simply record whatever is happening, more or less. This doesn't work as the outputs are only on when you actually record. I think that makes the whole thing much less useful. Also, I had instances where nothing was on the output even though the recording worked. So, in essence the output is only useful once you have already recorded something. That isn't really my use case. My use case is to have a fallback record mechanism that simply records everything I do.
* having to go through an unmount process to be allowed to remove the SD sucks, not only because I have seen products where it isn't necessary, but also because a) the key combination to eject is FN+STOP, the key combination to delete a recording is FN + Play. You see how easily one could confuse these. I for one have to look them up every time. b) after eject, pressing any button will re-scan the SD, which theoretically is good, practically, unless you are very very very careful, since you have to release FN and STOP at the same time, it can happen that the release of the last button will re-scan the SD, which means it is in fact not ejected, which means in all likelihood that the file is corrupted (at least that is my assumption with the MP3s that didn't work.

So what could be a simple and straightforward little module is actually quite terrible in its UI. Product management has failed on this one. Luckily, all of this could be fixed in a firmware update. Here is what the UI should look like

a) be clear about the use case. First use case is to always be able to record what you are doing. Optimise for that use case. Make sure the file limitations are gone (banks? why? they are here because of playback, and because you only have two digits in the display. Playback isn't the first use case of a device that is called RECORD. Otherwise, call it PLAYBACK. Hope you get that)
b) make sure that nothing you do resembles the key combination that deletes a track. Even better, just don't allow to delete a track. One can always do that on the computer. The whole sex appeal of RECORD is that I don't have to think about the recordings, having up to 2TB of space.
c) who needs to be able to switch between recording formats on the panel? Have people set it in the init file, and forget about it. It doesn't matter once it is set. With the led's and space you save, provide some more dedicated buttons for stuff people actually need. A mixer between input and playback would be awesome.
d) make sure that outputs are a mirror of the input unless I press PLAY

I haven't played around with the start/stop inputs yet, but given my experience so far I doubt that they do what they should. Sorry if this sounds overly negative, but so far that is my experience and it is not great.

PS: why does search in the PDF not work? Bad as the manual is, not being able to search through it doesn't improve its utility.
alyseum
Thanks Vintage Traveler & automat for your comments the ideas to improve the product.

There is no RTC in the RECORD, how to update the clock? Never this feature has been requested

The firmware has already evolved since version 0.9, many have written to request features, including banks that has been quite complicated implemented because 99 tracks seems insufficient for many users. Now it's too much, it's always difficult to make everyone happy.
In version 2.2 there is bank 00 which is the old system of 99 tracks.
For the user manual, there is page 11 a table that summarizes all the functions, I can not be simpler and I do not understand how the manual is an insult, perhaps is too long?

The init file is generated when inserting a blank SD, so it is difficult to edit each SD with the correct format
In addition, 3 LEDs clearly indicate the chosen format. what should be a plus?

In the next release, removing the erasure of a track, YES!
With almost 10K tracks it's not necessary to erase via the module, thank you

the start / stop inputs work, they are described in the user manual (be careful, there are two modes)

Willi
automat
Thanks Alyseum for taking feedback into consideration. I have been a product manager for more than a decade, I know that side of product development very well. My biggest gripe is that you don't know what you want (no offence, that is entirely normal in PD). If you call a product RECORD, then its first priority should be to get the recording functionality right. Everything else is second. That clearly wasn't the case with RECORD. But I made my points.

alyseum wrote:
Thanks Vintage Traveler & automat for your comments the ideas to improve the product.

There is no RTC in the RECORD, how to update the clock? Never this feature has been requested

I see. Well the key point here is that given your focus should be on recording (everything one does on the modular), the best way to label the recordings is using the date. But no RTC means you can't do that, so I get it. It is a big omission in my playbook for this use case.

Quote:
The firmware has already evolved since version 0.9, many have written to request features, including banks that has been quite complicated implemented because 99 tracks seems insufficient for many users. Now it's too much, it's always difficult to make everyone happy.

It is impossible to make everyone happy, which is EXACTLY why you need to think about what the product is for before you start. Adding features typically makes things worse (unless your use case definition is razor sharp).

So your point, 99 tracks isn't enough, of course not. But the reason why you have a problem is because you decided that PLAY is also important, and you decided to have a display with 2 digits, so you needed to come up with a crutch. That made the product worse, not better.

If you do it again, ditch the PLAY functionality, ditch the 2 digit display, add a RTC and ensure that the thing records! Everything else is secondary. Or use a 5 digit display ;-)

BTW, mp3 recording doesn't work for me at all.

Quote:
In version 2.2 there is bank 00 which is the old system of 99 tracks.
For the user manual, there is page 11 a table that summarizes all the functions, I can not be simpler and I do not understand how the manual is an insult, perhaps is too long?

I am a bit sorry of this statement because I did not back it up, but the fact that I can't search within the PDF means it is hard to state what I want to say. Yes it is way to long, and it repeats the most basic things on every page, but doesn't explain WHY certain things are the way they are.

Quote:
The init file is generated when inserting a blank SD, so it is difficult to edit each SD with the correct format. In addition, 3 LEDs clearly indicate the chosen format. what should be a plus?

Good point. However, with 2TB of data I don't see that one needs a lot of these. It is also easy to copy the init file and then insert a new SD card into your computer and copy your template init file to the card.

The issue is that displaying the recording format is not relevant to a user, because a user choses the format she needs and than simply uses that. Less is more.

Quote:
In the next release, removing the erasure of a track, YES!

+100 for that.

Quote:
With almost 10K tracks it's not necessary to erase via the module, thank you

the start / stop inputs work, they are described in the user manual (be careful, there are two modes)

Willi

Really the other thing you need to implement is ensure that eject works or even better that it isn't needed. When I am not recording I should be allowed to remove the SD card without problems.

If for whatever reason you believe that the awkward key combination and two second press and additional waiting time is needed before the card can be removed, at least add a counter that ensures that accidentally letting go of one of the two buttons, or accidentally hitting another button before one has actually removed the card doesn't trigger a scan of the card slot.

If I eject the card, you can safely assume that it takes at least 1 second before I will reinsert it. That in itself would probably make card removal much safer.

Anyways, hope this was helpful.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Alyseum  
Page 1 of 1