MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

LPG tech question
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author LPG tech question
anselmi
when you put the 292e in "gate" mode it behaves like a proper VCA

Does it still use a vactrol or it´s a different circuit, more like the ones in classic VCAs? hmmm.....
moylando
Still Vactrol in gate mode.
anselmi
moylando wrote:

really?

so how this mode avoid the slow response associated with vactrols and the hi frequency damping? seriously, i just don't get it
makrel
anselmi wrote:
moylando wrote:

really?

so how this mode avoid the slow response associated with vactrols and the hi frequency damping? seriously, i just don't get it

There's no avoiding of slow response. That's why I sold my 292e. Some people seem to find it musical, when you get e.g. this short "ringing" after closing the gate, but it aint my thing.

Everything else about the 200e series is exactly my thing.
anselmi
makrel wrote:
There's no avoiding of slow response. That's why I sold my 292e. Some people seem to find it musical, when you get e.g. this short "ringing" after closing the gate, but it aint my thing.

OK, but are we all agree that when you switch it to gate mode the ringing time is WAY slow than in combo mode...or it´s just an aural illusion because of the hi frequency damping?
J3RK
anselmi wrote:
makrel wrote:

OK, but are we all agree that when you switch it to gate mode the ringing time is WAY slow than in combo mode...or it´s just an aural illusion because of the hi frequency damping?

The response time for VTL5C3 and especially VTL5C1 (latter not used in 292s) is actually pretty fast. You can get response into low "typical" VCA territory / low audio depending on the circuit. Where "both and LP" modes differ is that they have the capacitors in circuit. This will create a bit of slew. Vactrols do have a natural decay, but IMO it's the whole circuit that creates the sound of an LPG. It's reproducible using non-optical circuitry too.
anselmi
J3RK wrote:
The response time for VTL5C3 and especially VTL5C1 (latter not used in 292s) is actually pretty fast. You can get response into low "typical" VCA territory / low audio depending on the circuit. Where "both and LP" modes differ is that they have the capacitors in circuit. This will create a bit of slew. Vactrols do have a natural decay, but IMO it's the whole circuit that creates the sound of an LPG.

great to know...thanks for throw some light over this topic

Quote:
It's reproducible using non-optical circuitry too.

I know...0-coast has this kind of circuit...also Streams, the LPGish module from Mutable Instruments do the same stuff

so I guess vactrols has nothing to do with the LP part of the circuit, right?
J3RK
anselmi wrote:
so I guess vactrols has nothing to do with the LP part of the circuit, right?

It does a little bit. If you hit it with a big/fast pulse/transient, it will still have a small amount of this trail/decay. When it's in circuit with the filter caps though, it's more pronounced. I have a version that's just a single buffered RC pole using the vactrol as the control element, with no resonance, and it exhibits this as well. Kind of an exponential attack followed by reverse-log decay. That's mostly coming from the RC element as you say, but the response of the vactrol also plays a part. It takes a bit more circuitry to mimic this using OTAs or other types of circuits whereas the vactrol kind of does it naturally with less parts.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1