MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

[Buchla] Question for System 1 / 4-panel powered boat owners
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author [Buchla] Question for System 1 / 4-panel powered boat owners
cr
I was planning to mount my boat into a 19" rack. Now that I got the boat, I was quite surprised to see that the power input, ground and on/off switch are on top of the boat instead of the back. Is there any creative solution that comes without losing an extra 1U of rack space? Inspiration / pictures needed!
Thanks!
kbrush
Buchla format?
cr
kbrush wrote:
Buchla format?

Yes ... I should have said so, sorry!
cr
This is what it looks like now ... not fully satisfied yet, but it's the best I could come up with.

Removed the bottom of a 4U wooden rack I still had and installed rubber feet instead, which gave me about 2 inches of free space at the top. It's peanut butter jelly time!
missingtwin
Now flip the boat over and put the space you’ve made for power at the bottom. Mount the modules in the boat upside down. Maybe that would look a little better.

Another idea. Just unscrew and remount the power board inside the boat so that the power cable can stay connected within the confines of the boat itself. Run the power cable out of the back of the boat (just cut a hole). You’d lose the power switch functionality but could just keep it switched on and turn the boat on and off with a surge protector/power strip.
cr
missingtwin wrote:

Another idea. Just unscrew and remount the power board inside the boat so that the power cable can stay connected within the confines of the boat itself. Run the power cable out of the back of the boat (just cut a hole). You’d lose the power switch functionality but could just keep it switched on and turn the boat on and off with a surge protector/power strip.

That is a great idea!

As long as I use the Buchla as a standalone unit or with external Midi I should be fine, but as soon as I combine it with any of my Euro stuff, I would also need the ground plug, right?
cr
Seems to be working. w00t

makrel
cr wrote:
missingtwin wrote:

That is a great idea!

As long as I use the Buchla as a standalone unit or with external Midi I should be fine, but as soon as I combine it with any of my Euro stuff, I would also need the ground plug, right?

Hi there. Here's the ex boat owner smile
In my experience, you'll be fine without using the banana ground jack next to the DC power input, as long as you make sure to have at least one audio patch cable connected between a Buchla module and the external gear. The audio cable connects chassis ground between different devices, just like the banana ground jack, so you won't notice any difference.

Nice work by the way.

(I'm gonna play with the 291e next week - best Christmas ever)
island
cr wrote:
Seems to be working. w00t

Very well done thumbs up applause applause
cr
makrel wrote:

In my experience, you'll be fine without using the banana ground jack next to the DC power input, as long as you make sure to have at least one audio patch cable connected between a Buchla module and the external gear. The audio cable connects chassis ground between different devices, just like the banana ground jack, so you won't notice any difference.

Great info!
By audio patch cable you mean a standard 3.5mm Euro plug?
makrel
cr wrote:
makrel wrote:

Great info!
By audio patch cable you mean a standard 3.5mm Euro plug?

Yes. A standard 3.5mm plug is what I use in both ends, when connecting Buchla to Eurorack.
By the way, it does not have to carry any audio signal in order to function as a chassis ground connection.
For example, you could have a dummy cable permanently between e.g. the audio output 4 on your 292e to e.g. an (unused or used) eurorack multiple. But it could be any Buchla audio jack to any Euro audio or cv jack.
Let me know if you have any questions
cr
makrel wrote:

For example, you could have a dummy cable permanently between e.g. the audio output 4 on your 292e to e.g. an (unused or used) eurorack multiple. But it could be any Buchla audio jack to any Euro audio or cv jack.

Thanks man! That was exactly what I was wondering about.
cr
missingtwin wrote:

Follow-up question (I'm all thumbs, unfortunately):
Unscrewing the power board is easy, but there is no way to "remount" it in a different way. Will I be fine with a "flying busboard"?
missingtwin
It’s not ok to just have the board loose in the boat. It could cause a short by touching the back of the boat.

Remove the board and stand offs. Place the board in its new position in the boat and mark the new hole locations on the boat with a pencil.

Drill new holes in this positions. Then remount the board with the standoff’s in its new location.
cr
missingtwin wrote:
It’s not ok to just have the board loose in the boat. It could cause a short by touching the back of the boat.

Remove the board and stand offs. Place the board in its new position in the boat and mark the new hole locations on the boat with a pencil.

Drill new holes in this positions. Then remount the board with the standoff’s in its new location.

Thanks for the advice! Drilling new holes is a bit above my head though ... I'd be sure to completely wreck the boat. I think I'll go with the upside down version for the moment!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1