MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

RESET on the fly with a Q119
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author RESET on the fly with a Q119
kindredlost

This video has a user doing "on the fly" step reset with a Q119. I found this to be a pretty neat trick.

Simply run one of the output voltages from one of the rows out back into the start input jack. This will reset the sequencer at whatever step you turn up.

This works whether the Q119 is using an external or the internal clock.

-David
JohnLRice
That is a good trick!

As a side note, when I had my Q119, I thought so much about doing the mod to gain access to all of the individual gate outputs that I still keep thinking about getting one so I can do my mods! hyper I really wish Roger A. would put one toe into the DIY camp and at least make available a PCB for this, populated or not, to make the process a no brainer!
kindredlost

Extra stuff happening...

The Q960 doing a similar reset function. Both sequencers are slaved to the internal clock of the Q119.

The ratchet sound is with a Q128 switch and a Q963 trigger bus off the Q960.

The upper sound is the Q960. The bass sound is the Q119.

The second row of the Q119 is used for rest function of the notes, by running a cv out to another Q128 switch and picking up the gate out of the row. Sending this to an EG.

A similar thing is done with the third row of the Q960 sequencer. The voltage out is sent to a Q961 interface then to a mixer to be mixed with the main gate pulse and a high speed hard sync'd oscillator for ratchet. This is sent to the EG for final triggering.

There are 2 EG's, 2 filters (Q150 for Bass and Q107 for upper notes) and 2 amps. Seven oscillators are used. Four for the voices, one for the ratchet timing and two for modifiers. Three mixers for mixing waveforms and trigger and a final for the two voices. A final fixed filter bank is used for EQ.

Two delays. Lexicon MX200 and T.C. Electronic D-Two.

Besides just the reset feature, a lot can be done with two voices here.

Using the trigger bus for selecting which step to ratchet, rests on demand, and mixing of the rest with the main pulse to create accents.

I had a Q118 Instrument Interface in the patch for a while which would set up a threshold for accent triggers from a mix of the main pulse and rest pulse, but was extra stuff that would never have had time for in this demo. I was amazed that the Q109 envelopes were actually responding to a longer gate from the pulse and a shorter gate from the rest pulse to make a nice accent. I should make a demo of that next. A pretty neat function.

-David
JohnLRice
Excellent demo of this technique, David! SlayerBadger!
sduck
JohnLRice wrote:
I really wish Roger A. would put one toe into the DIY camp and at least make available a PCB for this, populated or not, to make the process a no brainer!

I've been wishing the same thing for a while. I really really really want a 960 in motm format, but can't seem to find any diy version of the schems or a pcb.
JohnLRice
sduck wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
I really wish Roger A. would put one toe into the DIY camp and at least make available a PCB for this, populated or not, to make the process a no brainer!

I've been wishing the same thing for a while. I really really really want a 960 in motm format, but can't seem to find any diy version of the schems or a pcb.

You could always just get one and make a Front Panel Express panel for it and swap out the knobs? Or on the cheap, just drill new mounting holes in the DotCom panel? MY ASS IS BLEEDING thumbs up
jjq
Thanks for this trick Guinness ftw!
sduck
JohnLRice wrote:
sduck wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:

You could always just get one and make a Front Panel Express panel for it and swap out the knobs? Or on the cheap, just drill new mounting holes in the DotCom panel? MY ASS IS BLEEDING thumbs up

Yup, I'll probably end up doing the former if I can't sweet talk a pcb out of ol' Roger.
suitandtieguy
You're going to have to take a trip to the lost continent sometime. It's not so bad.
sduck
suitandtieguy wrote:
You're going to have to take a trip to the lost continent sometime. It's not so bad.

I know what you're saying, and the ship hasn't sailed yet on that one. I've actually been there before, and it wasn't a bad place at all.
bwhittington
Very nice patch, David. Simple, yet clever.

Cheers,
Brian
acorkos
thanks for posting!
kindredlost
acorkos wrote:
thanks for posting!

You're welcome. It seems Roger has linked to this video on his Home Page at synthesizers.com. I'm still surprised that I actually saw it in the video by the guy on YouTube. He did it pretty quickly and what I heard I wasn't ready for. If it had been a Q960 then I wouldn't have thought a thing about it even though that feature is an option (RF) on the Q960.

It seems that this is actually common knowledge for older dotcom Q119 users but I never ran into it anywhere until I saw that video. This has opened up the Q119 for me as a more versatile sequencer. I had considered selling it off after only having owned it for a short time, but now it is a keeper. For anyone doing Berlin School step sequencer style music, it makes the Q119 as viable as the Q960 IMO. The only real difference is on the Q960 you don't have to "burn" a row to do the reset trick.

-David
mikeyg1977
Hi all!

Thanks kindredlost for posting my video with the 'reset trick for Q119' but as it was explained on the s.com yahoo group, the trick has quite a history. I myself was taught the trick by this YouTuber - http://www.youtube.com/user/marsupialmicron

Hope you enjoyed the video! smile
JohnLRice
mikeyg1977 wrote:
Hi all!

Thanks kindredlost for posting my video with the 'reset trick for Q119' but as it was explained on the s.com yahoo group, the trick has quite a history. I myself was taught the trick by this YouTuber - http://www.youtube.com/user/marsupialmicron

Hope you enjoyed the video! smile

w00t Welcome! w00t
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1