MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

5U Sequencer Experiments (2018)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author 5U Sequencer Experiments (2018)
JohnLRice
I thought it might be fun if everyone used this thread to post audio and video clips of tests and demos of sequencer patches? Not completed pieces, just things that sound or look interesting with prominent use of sequencers. hyper I think making it limited to a yearly thread would be good and posts should only be things created in that year because . . .well, it would become an instantly massive huge thread if we all posted every sequencer test an demo we've done over the last 10 to 20 years! Mr. Green And while it is still 2017, we can all cheat a little and start things off for the 2018 thread by including anything created in December 2017.

I was testing my largest system after some module rearrangement and also investigating a couple issues I've been meaning to look at so I video recorded some of the patches, even though there are some issues and flubs.

The main issue it turns out is that rows 1 and 2 of the Moon 569 sequencer aren't tracking the transpose input well anymore, like they don't make it an octave without going out of tune! eek! seriously, i just don't get it Row 3 is perfect and row 4 is almost as good. Weird. I'm not sure if parts have gone bad, it just needs calibration, or it's some other issue. I didn't really demo the problem in this video, just talkin' shop here! hihi

Dcramer
we're not worthy Sweet!
BTG
Please let us know what you find out with the 569
JohnLRice
Thanks Dcramer cool

BTG, It turns out it was just an issue with the 569LE lag expander! I removed the 569LE from the system and all the rows started working correctly again. w00t I was going to write Gert but looking at the side of the 569LE there are 4 trimmers and I think, how hard can it be? hihi So I put it back into the system but leave it hanging out the front so I can hear the affect the trimmer has on the pitch and power everything up. The trimmers have sealant on them so I start to scrape it off and with the first chunk that comes off I hear the pitch change! eek! hmmm..... Weird because the trimmer screw still has sealant on it and I don't think it moved yet. So I check the tracking and row one is perfect now! I check row 2 and it is still bad so just to see . . . .I give the area by trimmer 2 a light wack with the back of the screw driver and now row 2 is tracking correctly! confused seriously, i just don't get it applause I don't know if the issue was a bad solder joint, oxidation on an IC pin or IC socket contact, some foreign matter inside the trimmer, or some foreign matter sitting on the PCB etc. But it's working well again and I'll know what to look at first if it happens again. smokin'
Flareless
I happened to be farting around with a sequence patch when John posted this thread. I fixed it a bit plus added a second sequence and a duophonic track. There has been no processing outside of the synth. Output was recorded through a Yusynth Stereo VC Panning Mixer.

Not terribly musical but it has a good beat and you can dance to it.

The duophonic keyboard portion is controlled by a PAiA MIDI2CV8 module switched to Duophonic mode (Mode 7). It is driving a Music From Outer Space VCO and an Oakley "1 of 3" VCO. Both are then processed by a Yusynth Minimoog filter.

A second, grittier, voice generated by a CGS01 Sub Oscillator running through a Thomas White LPG and modulated by a Jupiter Storm is laid over the thick backbone .

The first sequence is generated on a Q960 driving a pair of Dotcom Q106s. They are running through a Yusynth Arp 4072 filter. That's being modulated by a Galilean Moons envelope with its Attack and Decay each modulated by different envelopes. This makes each filter sweep unique.

The second sequence is driven by a Music From Outer Space 16 Step Sequencer running through a pair of PAiA 9720 VCOs into a CGS49 Dual Wasp filter. This sequence fades in at about 1:44 and ends the piece.

Clocking for the sequencers was driven by an Oakley Dual LFO which was then processed by a variety of time slicers including a CGS22 Master Divider, Yusynth Clock Divider and CGS06 Burst Generator.

There is a lot more to the patches than listed but this covers their primary guts .

[s]https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/380976152[/s]

Direct Link if embedded SoundCloud stops working

EDIT: Thanks to JLR for the Soundcloud tip thumbs up
JohnLRice
Flareless wrote:
I happened to be farting around with a sequence patch when John posted this thread. I fixed it a bit plus added a second sequence and a duophonic track. There has been no processing outside of the synth. Output was recorded through a Yusynth Stereo VC Panning Mixer

[s]https://soundcloud.com/lowerwestsidestudio/duo-sequence-bop-perform ed-by-just-the-5[/s]

Direct Link if embedded SoundCloud doesn't work

Cool stuff, thanks for sharing. cool

So FYIs on getting Soundcloud to work on Muffs. In the standard link that gets created a dash is added between every separate word in your title. For some reason on Muff's if your title has more than 3 or 4 dashes in it the player wont show up! (I'm not sure of the exact number of dashes but 3 or less always seems to be OK) So if you make sure your Soundcloud titles have four or less separate words or YouUseCamelCaseTitles so it's only one word, you wont have to worry. There is a workaround for multiple words though . . .

[s]https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/380976152[/s]

You "just" need to post a link using the file's ID number instead. I say "just" because it's a little involved to find the ID number. So below is all you should need, just replace the tracks or playlist ID number with the one you want:

There is some information/instructions I posted for someone else in this thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2721410#2721410
Rex Coil 7
Perhaps those trimmers just need to be moved around a bit (and then recalibrated again, of course). After sitting in one position for ~years~(?) I would guess they're now rebelling ...

... "let us move! .. our joints and bones are stiff from being frozen in one place and *shyte* has built up around our contacts and wipers ... it is time, young Skywalker, to allow us to move and stretch a bit .. after which we shall provide many more years of loyal service".

Heheh ...

JohnLRice wrote:
Thanks Dcramer cool

BTG, It turns out it was just an issue with the 569LE lag expander! I removed the 569LE from the system and all the rows started working correctly again. w00t I was going to write Gert but looking at the side of the 569LE there are 4 trimmers and I think, how hard can it be? hihi So I put it back into the system but leave it hanging out the front so I can hear the affect the trimmer has on the pitch and power everything up. The trimmers have sealant on them so I start to scrape it off and with the first chunk that comes off I hear the pitch change! eek! hmmm..... Weird because the trimmer screw still has sealant on it and I don't think it moved yet. So I check the tracking and row one is perfect now! I check row 2 and it is still bad so just to see . . . .I give the area by trimmer 2 a light wack with the back of the screw driver and now row 2 is tracking correctly! confused seriously, i just don't get it applause I don't know if the issue was a bad solder joint, oxidation on an IC pin or IC socket contact, some foreign matter inside the trimmer, or some foreign matter sitting on the PCB etc. But it's working well again and I'll know what to look at first if it happens again. smokin'
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1