MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

oh my - modcan phase/timbre 06 a/b
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author oh my - modcan phase/timbre 06 a/b
sandyb
i just got hold of a phase/timbre for my small A series system.
what a great module! the phase part is cool but the timbre mod sections are absolutely awesome! the only other module of this type i have is the doepfer one (which i like when used subtly) but this one really has some crunch to it. i had great fun feeding it with a couple of fm'd modcan oscillators and a joystick.
i know - sounds or gtfo. i'll try to put something up later.

electrik noize
this is probably the module i'm going to miss the most after selling the modcan rig.

square or sawtooth wave into a filter with lots o rez and then into this guy = Dead Banana
ignatius
i LOVE this module. it's so stupidly simple but multi function and sounds fucking great.

you NEED to send drums through the timbre mods. big fat 808 style kick drums into input 1A sound just insanely awesome..

i use this module in every patch.
BlueOctopus
I have one of these in B, absolutely love it!
rezzn8r
Yes, sounds please!
I've been on the fence about adding this one to my system for a while. I already have some phasing. Would the timbre mod circuits sound anything like the stg wave folder?
zerosum
Quote:
i know - sounds or gtfo. i'll try to put something up later.

Yeah man, What The Fuck? lol
Do you know what blue balls are? how about blue ears? hihi

I'm sure its a fun module, its been on my list for a bit.
ignatius
first sound you hear is metalbox/cgs 8008 bass drum going into phase timbre mod then QLPG being modulated by something i can't remember.

later in the track at about 7:33 you can hear it again in isolation more or less w/slower modulation... continues through the rest f the track.. more or less

http://soundcloud.com/ignatius/modcan-metalbox-modular-patch

it sounds good on everything.. i've processed drums through it, raw waveforms.. everything sounds killer through it. it has multiple variations on the circuit in one module.. inputs w/different character and out put w/different character plus a magic knob w/modulation smile buy one.. you want it. it's maybe my favorite modcan module... though its hard to pick just one.. so, maybe top 3.
sandyb
i've been busy and forgot. apologies. i have no idea what "blue balls" are. unless we're talking about snooker or very cold weather perhaps.
i will try to do something at the weekend.

thanks ignatius for your sounds thumbs up
russma
via Wikipedia:

Blue balls is the slang term for a congested prostate or vasocongestion, the condition of temporary fluid congestion in the testicles and prostate region caused by prolonged sexual arousal in the human male.

So for the sake of zerosum's balls, post some sounds already!

MY ASS IS BLEEDING
dude
idiotboy wrote:
via Wikipedia:

Blue balls is the slang term for a congested prostate or vasocongestion, the condition of temporary fluid congestion in the testicles and prostate region caused by prolonged sexual arousal in the human male.

So for the sake of zerosum's balls, post some sounds already!

MY ASS IS BLEEDING

lol

yeah i have been on the fence about this one as well. i always wanted a comparison between it and the stg wavefolder and maybe the toppobrillo one as well. are they even in the same ballpark?
ignatius
i'll also try and post some simple demos of oscillator waveforms being processed by the timbre mod section of the phase timbre mod

from the modcan manual:

Description: The Phase Shifter / Timbre Modulator module is divided into two separate sections. The Phase
Shifter section is a 6 pole 1080 degree phase shift with resonance and voltage controlled shift. The Timbre mod
section adds harmonics to simple waveforms such as sine or triangle or any waveform for that matter. The complexity
of the output is related to the source input. The Timbre Mod section is divided into 2 sections but there are 3
different effects from moderate shaping to full out distortion

Input 1: for timbre modulator “A” is AC coupled
Input 2 : for timbre modulator A is DC coupled. Subtle differences in
tone can be heard between these two inputs depending on the source
signal. Both inputs can be used simultaneously for ringmod type sounds.
Shape : sets the amount of rectification on waveform. Simple waveforms
such as sine or triangle benefit most from timbremod although
others can be used for even more complex sounds
Cv Input : for controlling “ A “ shape amount

Input for Timbre Mod "B"
Output for Timbre Mod
Cv Input : for controlling “ B “ shape amount
Output 1B : adds the most complexity to source waveforms
Shape B : sets the amount of rectification on waveform. Simple waveforms
such as sine or triangle benefits most from timbre mod although
others can be used for even more complex sounds. Timbre Mod B differs
from A in the degree of change that occurs to the source signal with
Output 2B : is a more subtle version of 1B
electronicpresskit
funny, I feel the opposite...I love the phaser but feel the timbre mod section, although nice, doesn't quite hit the mark. I always thought it was Bruce's take on the Serge Wavemultiplier, and while it sounds good, it's got a harder edge to it that isn't quite as musical as the Serge.

The Modcan phaser in this thing destroys the Serge dual phaser though. I'd kill to have a dual Modcan phaser with a slightly expanded feature set!
sonix
Bruce told me the phaser is inspired from the roland 100M.

Am surprised the timbre doesn't sound well!
electronicpresskit
sonix wrote:

oh that's good to know! I wonder just how similar it is to the roland 172. hopefully I can find out...curetronic appears to have populated pcb clones available!
sonix
electronicpresskit wrote:
sonix wrote:

oh that's good to know! I wonder just how similar it is to the roland 172. hopefully I can find out...curetronic appears to have populated pcb clones available!

Can't tell you that,i never have had or heard the modcan,i just got the info from Bruce.
parasitk
I posted clips of the timbre section a while back: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=19177#19177

I like the way it sounds quite a bit! seriously, i just don't get it
sandyb
here's some quick noises with the "unmusical" modcan 06a.
simple sweeps with an AD envelope. i used input/output 1 for all of them.

modcan 06a

my favourite thing so far is putting fm'd oscillators into it.

sandy
parasitk
Lovely!
rezzn8r
thanks, sandy
that helped make up my mind. I've decided I have too many mixers in my system, so I should be able to squeeze in a P/T 06B.
thumbs up
btw, I think the Cicada in the tree outside my window enjoyed your demo, too. It seemed to be responding to some of the timbre transitions. hihi
zerosum
It's peanut butter jelly time! applause
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1