MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DDSR
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author DDSR
BugBrand
Wishing you all Happy Christmas!

Richard's 'show your bug' post reminded me that I wanted to share pics of this new prototype which is very fun to play.

It has taken me a few years of trying out various shift-reg ideas to arrive at something I think is quite playable - I still haven't mastered it into full control, but it chucks out all manner of interesting rhythm (via the gates) and clocked modulations (via the D to A outs).

It is dual / mirrored. I tried out a single one in 1FW and found it too cramped.
Each Shift Reg has clock and data inputs.
Data goes through an XOR gate which can recombine one of the gate outs to provide looping.
The Data and XOR switches (with Logic HI/LO and external feed) allow the data to behave in various ways.
Each side has two Digital-to-Analogue circuits summing the step outputs to give stepped waveforms (0-10V). [one sums four of the steps, the other sums all eight - so each output gives different results]

While I show it here in a standalone enclosure, I'm imagining it more with other modules - can work with things like the (soon) Chirper, but I'm dreaming of complimentary modules to build up full frames in a slightly different way to the SynthVoice.

Things like demos and block diagram after Christmas.
tIB
Ooh interesting- I probably need to hear a demo so I can figure it exactly what it does... I'm thinking funk?! Happy Christmas Tom!
leeski
Wow! woah thumbs up
ninGiaBoom
That's the Bugbrand i know and i we're not worthy appreciate the most: future proof and overall cool stuff that you rarely find around hyper
Happy holidays everybody

Merry Christmas and Cheers Guinness ftw!
chrisdermo
Wowza! love
a100user
Great to see something new Tom. Would love to see and hear in action.
fredguy
Looks like hours of rhythmic fun. Can't wait to hear demos.

Happy holidays to all in bugland w00t
depth20
OMFG!!!! Would Love such a thing in a seperate enclosure!!
numan7
Lotsa Love what a beautiful arrangement of led indicators - really looking forward to seeing DDSR in action!

cheers
Illwiggle
Wow exciting stuff Tom!! Very inspiring, for real.
T. Jervell
Looks very promising indeed nanners
Very very cool!! Nice Work Tom thumbs up
Happy holidays.
indexofmetals
hi Tom,

I can see plenty of uses for this! Looking forward to more details.
BananaPlug
Nice to see this. Looking forward to details and demo. I like the decision to make it a dual but I can’t stand mirrored layouts. They work against “muscle memory.”
chrisdermo
This looks like it'd be so fun with a chirper, are those buttons at the bottom where it says data jam?
shortsleeves
chrisdermo wrote:
This looks like it'd be so fun with a chirper, are those buttons at the bottom where it says data jam?

I think these are LED's rather than buttons.

Cheers,
Lukasz
T. Jervell
shortsleeves wrote:
chrisdermo wrote:

Cheers,
Lukasz

Are you sure? Looks like buttons to me (the two red ones above the red+green leds). Makes sens re: the discusson on double knots pusbuttons/BugBrand sequencer talk, in another thread. But who knows. I’m sure Tom will chime in over the holidays Guinness ftw!
chrisdermo
T. Jervell wrote:
shortsleeves wrote:
chrisdermo wrote:

Cheers,
Lukasz

Are you sure? Looks like buttons to me (the two red ones above the red+green leds). Makes sens re: the discusson on double knots pusbuttons/BugBrand sequencer talk, in another thread. But who knows. I’m sure Tom will chime in over the holidays Guinness ftw!

Yep that's what I thought! Makes sense in conjunctions with the toggles higher up?
KNYST
Very cool.

Happy hollidays!
BugBrand
Thanks! Good to hear there's some interest - I will try to do some clear demos later this week (the plays I had before Christmas went complex too quickly because of the fun of playing - though I may extract some snippets)

I updated the original post with a Block Diagram (single Shift-Reg) which hopefully clarifies inc. about the JAM button.

Mirrored layout - while I understand the theory of not liking such an approach, I'm not sure it is a problem in actuality.
BananaPlug
This just was not computing for me but the block diagram helps a lot. It's finally dawned on me that those knobs are Switches! That explains the 1-8 numbering. I'm still a bit muddled about the right hand end of the digram.
Quote:
Each side has two Digital-to-Analogue circuits summing the step outputs to give stepped waveforms (0-10V). [one sums four of the steps, the other sums all eight - so each output gives different results]

So do the 1-8 switches cause the D to A bits to be latched when the selected stage of the shifter is high? Functioning like an S&H?
hmmm.....
Tom explained and I realize I'd misunderstood direction implied by diagram's kinky lines between knob and D to A.
BugBrand
You may be overcomplexifying!?

It is an 8 stage shift reg. Data is sampled on the rising clock edge and each clock event shifts the outputs along one. [so like a clocked logic delay]

The rotary switches select stage 1 through 8.
The D-to-A is independent of the rotary switches - just summing (via R2R network) combinations of the 8 shift-reg outs.
chrisdermo
Doesn't quite compute for me either BUT I don't fully understand shift registers anyway, but an confident a demo would clear that up same as it did for double knot. Glad it has buttons for jamming with the rhythms looks like so much fun!
BananaPlug
chrisdermo wrote:
Doesn't quite compute for me either BUT I don't fully understand shift registers anyway, but an confident a demo would clear that up same as it did for double knot. Glad it has buttons for jamming with the rhythms looks like so much fun!

I'm sure it'll be fun, but the visuals may be sending the wrong messages. The choice of jack color: I'd think "stepped waveforms (0-10V)" would be on blue jacks and red jacks would only be gate signals. Repetition of legends is minimized but the horizontal white lines (spanning this dual module) can inadvertently imply functional connection rather than similar purpose. On the other hand vertical white lines do indicate functional connection.

Hope I'm not getting too far into the weeds. Just trying to help. nanners
phisynth
looks nice ! Is it comparable / different from the rungler part (and bits out on the expanded version) of the benjolin circuit ?
Tajnost
Looks exciting! Looking forward to hear it soon)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> BugBrand Devices Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3