MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Anything like Rollz or Plumbutter Ultrasonic in Eurorack?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author Anything like Rollz or Plumbutter Ultrasonic in Eurorack?
williamjturkel
I have a Plumbutter 2 that I am considering selling (or better, trading for a Fourses and some other modules) but before I do, I am trying to find analogs to most of the circuits in Eurorack. Does anyone have any suggestions for replicating the functionality of the Ultrasound in eurorack? Peter’s description is that it “takes any sort of signal, and attempts a Nyquist resampling to bring out any unheard ultrasounds”. Could I use Drezno, maybe by adjusting the ADC and/or DAC clocks?
pugix
Ultrasound is a simple switched capacitor filter. The only other one I know of is the CGS Bi-N-Tic. But I don't know if anyone is making these in any format.

http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs57_bintic.html

I drew a schematic for the Rollz-5 Ultrasound here.

http://pugix.com/synth/rollz-5-schematics/

And you can see Peter's schematic for Plumbutter.

http://www.ciat-lonbarde.net/plumbutter/labrolzpapersz.pdf

It would be cool to have an Ultrasound IFM module.
williamjturkel
Thanks! So it is not just that Ultrasound brings ultrasonic patterns into audible range, but also that it blocks existing audible patterns? If that is the case, Drezno seems a less likely possibility.

I had heard of Bi N Tic and seen a few demos on YouTube. I will investigate further.
cygmu
pugix wrote:
Ultrasound is a simple switched capacitor filter. The only other one I know of is the CGS Bi-N-Tic. But I don't know if anyone is making these in any format.

FWIW, Elby makes a Bi-N-Tic in Eurorack.
http://www.elby-designs.com/contents/en-us/p352.html
Ras Thavas
The beloved (well, by some of us) Bionic Lester by the Harvestman is a eurorack dual multi-mode switched capacitor filter. Much smoother sounding than the Bic-N-Tic, tho can still get weird with aliasing and dual clock voltage control horrors.
williamjturkel
Ras Thavas wrote:
The beloved (well, by some of us) Bionic Lester by the Harvestman is a eurorack dual multi-mode switched capacitor filter. Much smoother sounding than the Bic-N-Tic, tho can still get weird with aliasing and dual clock voltage control horrors.

On the plus side, I’m now totally convinced I want a Bionic Lester. On the minus side, they’re nowhere to be found. seriously, i just don't get it Hopefully the BL II will be announced at NAMM 2018!
numan7
there is also the WMD Synchrodyne and its Expander which are primarily a switched capacitor mmf but provide a lot of other functions besides that - a little universe of synthesis unto itself.

cheers
williamjturkel
numan7 wrote:
there is also the WMD Synchrodyne and its Expander which are primarily a switched capacitor mmf but provide a lot of other functions besides that - a little universe of synthesis unto itself.

cheers

Synchrodyne has been on my radar for a long time, too thumbs up
VauxFlores
I picked up an Elby Bi-n-Tic a while back and it's close, but not quite spot-on to the Ultrasound sound. You can get some crunch similar to an Ultrasound, but the schematics are fairly different so I find I use it as an entirely different monster.

As a heads up, if you go for the Elby version, it's a.) a pretty deep module - def not skiff friendly and b.) 15 HP, so planning is a must if you're looking to optimize your horizontal.

Every once in a while I get the notion to hack together a 4 hp, super-simple version of the Ultrasound - one knob and CV-in controlling frequency as the only controls, but it hasn't moved past one or two sketches. Just don't have the time and would hate to impose on Pete if he's thinking about going this route at some point.

Will definitely mention this to him next time I see him, report back once I do.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1