MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

5U at Winter NAMM 2018
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author 5U at Winter NAMM 2018
JohnLRice
It will probably only be Moon Modular (at booth 10507) and STG Soundlabs? Maybe COTK? Please add information and sightings here. cool

suitandtieguy
i'll be there. apparently in 10702.
JohnLRice
suitandtieguy wrote:
w00t thumbs up
gregae
suitandtieguy wrote:

With anything new? hmmm.....
Dave Peck
See you all there!
coyoteous
suitandtieguy wrote:

But, but... that's like over 8000 years in the future, right?

"We have just folded space from Ix
Many machines on Ix
New machines..."

- Third-Stage Guild Navigator
defutura
coyoteous wrote:
suitandtieguy wrote:

But, but... that's like over 8000 years in the future, right?

That's nothing for a Time Lord like Suit... Doctorin' the Tardis
dhergott1
Cool!
coyoteous
Ha... that makes sense.

How about a crossover: Dr. Suit (sWHOt?) at NAMM 10,702 on Ix?
boothnavy
still working out the details...
JohnLRice
boothnavy wrote:
still working out the details...
w00t SlayerBadger!
coyoteous
Why no Moog this year... keeping it to Moogfest or?

I know it's expensive... I had an inside with a particular giant company-eating guitar manufacturer in the last millennium (got use travel, hotel and badge a few years if one of their people had to cancel, they overbooked, etc.), and I know it was super-expensive for them back then (they had a gigantic booth, though).

I'm kind of thinking whatever year that was when COTK, Moon and Moog were there, was probably the peak of 5U at NAMM... I've heard rumblings that ER there might be less.

Maybe Knobcon and Superbooth are replacing NAMM and Messe for modular?
BTG
It's hard to imagine the economics of NAMM being positive for boutique 5U manufacturers. Traditionally NAMM was a place for manufacturers to find resellers/distributors/retailers. Given that most of these manufacturers already have USA dealers, I'm unclear of the value for them to go to NAMM. Even a small booth/hotel/airfare for an international manufacturer would be $10K+.

If the goal is press coverage, I think Knobcon, Superbooth, etc. are likely far better deals.
Dave Peck
I heard that neither Moog nor Dave Smith Instruments will be at NAMM this year. Maybe this means no new products releasing from either company until next year, or at least until the next big show like Music Messe or Summer NAMM?
Mark11Audio
Dave Peck wrote:
I heard that neither Moog nor Dave Smith Instruments will be at NAMM this year. Maybe this means no new products releasing from either company until next year, or at least until the next big show like Music Messe or Summer NAMM?

I've heard the same thing... that both Moog and DSI will not be at NAMM this year...

as for new gear... you just never know... hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi
Dave Peck
Oh you big tease, you... Miley Cyrus
josaka
first off let me say I love the idea that people are out there wanting to press the flesh and go 1 on 1 with the public.. I also think its great to be able to actually touch and try the modules/systems..

but.. (as with a post above) I have to question the financial side.. personally I would be persuing a video option at least as well.. take grove audio..
makes top stuff !!(I just ordered a low pass filter and a PM resonator !!)
..but there is not one video of either of these out there by them..(I do reasearch like a mofo!)
..I just cant help thinking of numbers reached vs effort involved and returns.. people going to namm and potential converts cant be that high.. most people going may already roughly know what they are going to check.. there cant be more than say 100? converts (correct me if I am wrong)

spending a little making a flashy video could reach thousands instantly.. and raise awareness and gearlust exponentially.. (I am sure that JLRs videos and posts here have done more for moon than any of these meets.. not the type of videos I am on about but they are brilliant for hearing what the modules do and give you a good idea what they sound like! thanks John!)

videos are particularly good for the gearlust folk who are freash to the scene (the biggest potential customer?) these people most likely dont live within range of these meets and would rather watch a video get worked up and buy a module rather than spend money/time going to a place like namm/nobcon/etc if I lived around the corner I might go but I am always busy...but even when I am busy there is time to check some module videos on downtime... as an example

I still think its amazing people make the effort however.. if I lived local to any of these things I may go.. but I am pretty sure I am like most (90%+) that dont live within ranges time/budgets/desires/ of these things..
just a thought. smile
Dave Peck
Keep in mind that the major reason nearly all companies go to NAMM is not just to meet face to face with the end customer, it is to set up business with dealers and distributors and other manufacturers etc. That's the reason it is not open to the general public.

Of course a lot of people who go are both there for business and are also potential customers themselves, so that kind of direct customer interface certainly happens, but it's not the reason for the show. For example, I'm an engineering consultant with a lot of background with companies that design and manufacture pro audio gear, so I get a lot of my clients by meeting with them at NAMM about business opportunities. And I'm also a synth geek from way back so I get to check that stuff out too, but that's not the primary reason I'm there.

But yeah, boutique synth manufacturers would do themselves a favor if they would consistently put decent videos showing off their gear on their web sites.
johny_gtr
Dave Peck wrote:
Keep in mind that the major reason nearly all companies go to NAMM is not just to meet face to face with the end customer, it is to set up business with dealers and distributors and other manufacturers etc. That's the reason it is not open to the general public.

Of course a lot of people who go are both there for business and are also potential customers themselves, so that kind of direct customer interface certainly happens, but it's not the reason for the show. For example, I'm an engineering consultant with a lot of background with companies that design and manufacture pro audio gear, so I get a lot of my clients by meeting with them at NAMM about business opportunities. And I'm also a synth geek from way back so I get to check that stuff out too, but that's not the primary reason I'm there.

But yeah, boutique synth manufacturers would do themselves a favor if they would consistently put decent videos showing off their gear on their web sites.

I don't know about situation with US dealers but in Europe it's better to buy form a manufacturer (especially for me with 0 VAT It's peanut butter jelly time! )

I had a chance buying a module from a dealer who told me that power cable will be included. As a fact I received a module without power cable, no reserve in cables, no connectors for crafting a cable in my city (and waiting time 2-3 weeks). Only one advice that I received from them about MU was about "Do you know that this can not be fitted into eurorack" d'oh! seriously, i just don't get it
JohnLRice
Bowman
suitandtieguy wrote:

Hmmm........ so we can expect a voltage controlled Time Travel module? hihi
trentpmcd
JohnLRice wrote:

great! applause nanners
XXXEsq
I'll be there for a short while on Sunday. Neither Moog nor DSI making an appearance. :( I'm mostly going for guitar gear this year.
JohnLRice
Klangzaun
Hmmm.... ? How can Gert be there and shipping a Quad Gate Delay to me end of January? I guess he can travel in time and space with his modules....
lol
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 1 of 6