MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

I'm pretty sure my IO is broken.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> nw2s  
Author I'm pretty sure my IO is broken.
Waz
This module is a dream module of mine, but I think I got a lemon. This coupled with the developer not answering emails has me really considering seeking a different solution.

-This thing gets crazy hot. I can feel the warmth on the front panel. I have a gap in my case. If I reach around to feel the bare pcb when I turn it off after being on for a while, the PCB is very hot to the touch. Almost unbearable.

-All of the LEDs are lit when it's on. When signal goes through, the LED gets brighter. They never turn off.

-Two of the four DB25 screws were cross threaded. Luckily I work in a field where I re-tap threads on a regular basis or I would have returned this immediately. It wasn't a big deal, but this shouldn't have passed QC. I didn't have the hex db25 standoffs on hand to replace the bad ones, so I had to use a professional tap.

-I'm not 100% certain if this is sending line signals to my modular. It seems very quiet. I made a bunch of measurements with my Fluke, but I got distracted by the heat issue. They seemed okayish, but I didn't go further with that. Maybe it's my 18i20 interface.

Does any of this sound not right? Should I return this to Perfect Circuit?
help
Waz
Looks like Scott hasn't been on here since December 7th. I'm just going to return this lemon and get a Snake Charmer. It's bummer... I wanted those outs along side the ins.
monads
Which IO do you have? Unbalanced or Balanced? I have the balanced version, the LEDs should definitely not be lit when not sending any signals unless you've connected something incorrectly?
Waz
Balanced. All of the power headers in my case are shrouded and keyed (built and tested by me). I only have one DB25 going to my 18i20. I removed the phantom switch from my 18i20 so I can never harm any of my modules. Even with the DB25 unplugged the lights are on.
monads
Yeah, sounds like something is wrong with the module then. Did it work this way immediately upon installing?
Waz
monads wrote:
Yeah, sounds like something is wrong with the module then. Did it work this way immediately upon installing?

Yeah. that's why I've had it for a week now. Thought it was normal.
Waz
Shot in the dark here... I am curious if anyone would be willing to measure the noise floor across cold/hot on their IO with no signal going out. So with nothing plugged into the module besides the db25 out, measure one of the ends across tip/ring or pins 2 and 3 on an XLR.

I am getting -53dB across cold/hot and -57dB when referenced to ground. That is a bit high. The noisiest module in my case (Erbe Verb) measures in at -47dB when referenced to ground. I can usually hear the noise on that module when tracking. Also, my Plague bearer in noisy self oscillation measures in at -40ish dB.

I am in no way picking apart the IO. I just want to confirm if I should get a replacement. Maybe the issues I am experiencing are also causing my noise issues?
monads
So what's the latest? Any resolution? I'm hoping you got sorted out.
Waz
I returned it. Perfect Circuit agreed that it was definitely broken. I still haven't heard from the manufacturer. I don't think I ever will... It's best to look elsewhere for this functionality.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> nw2s  
Page 1 of 1