MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Old way to make real audio glitch
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Author Old way to make real audio glitch
noisefield
Hi !

there are a lot of glitch pedal and effect now but what are your way to do glitches
I mean, before all this pedal what was your process guys ? Are there some old hardware that make good glitches ?
for now i use a modded cd walkman (nicolas collin mod) and know that some cd players can do the thing but are there other stuffs ?

tks
gentle_attack
This isn't answering your question in regards to old ways, but an Octatrack can make all manner of glitchy clicks and pops you have time to fool with:

Retrig amount #
Retrig rate
Very short length
Pitch
Start Point
End point

Throwing LFO/Env on all of these , along with Plocking the rest of them, gets you there.
Navs
Some old delay/samplers can be triggered, but I guess that's getting close to just getting a modern pedal. The Electro Harmonix SMMH delay and Cathedral can be modded to chop up the input signal, for example.

An obvious method is to break your CDs - try sandpaper or needles woah
subbasshead
- scratched/cut/prepared CDs, see Yasuno Tone example here:
https://flypaper.soundfly.com/features/compact-discs-instruments-pione ers-cd-sound-art/

- radio/shortwave/EMF
all old tech

- circuit bending

- data bending

- scratched/cut/playout groove of vinyl (can get v.nice stereo imaging)

this is stating the obvious but : these generate glitches, what you do with them is up to you... ie sampling/resequencing/playing them.....
but its different to 'glitch plugins' which take existing audio and process it
memes_33
back in the day (early 2000s), i would just stretch audio, process it, pitch it, cut it up, stretch it more, etc. in digital performer or ableton. you can do some crazy shit like turn drum parts into bass lines. the bass/synth line for this song was from a drum loop mangled and pitched in ableton live:

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 album=3022954122 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small track=784470845]

this one was a cymbal part pitches/stretched to form the bass/synth lines as well:

[bandcamp width=100% height=120 track=4286952812 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 tracklist=false artwork=small]

ableton sampler can do some cool stuff with applying automation/envelopes to loop start and end points as others mentioned as well.
huron
https://pitchfork.com/features/resonant-frequency/9730-a-glitch-in-tim e-how-ovals-1995-ambient-masterpiece-predicted-our-digital-present/
slumberjack
overload you daw with information and tasks to do.
widdly
You can get glitchy and sometimes granualar sounding stuff by feeding too many notes into some synths. Max and puredata are handy for generating too much midi. A DX7 can get some interesting effects from this moethod.

Some HW romplers and samplers have bugs if you have too much pitch modulation going on where they jump between the sample sets producing some glitchy wierdness. Some casios and the kurzweil k2000 can get this effect.

A lot of Minidisc players have seemless shuffle play. If you record a whole lot of very short fragments onto a disc you can set it to play in shuffle and get random nonesense.

Guitar pickups in front of CRT's or near electric motors make some cool sounds. Unplug the guitar, turn up the gain and fiddle around with wthe actual plug.
frated
Send audio rate cv in MI branches or similar modules.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques  
Page 1 of 1