MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Introducing ADDAC214 VC Rotator
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Introducing ADDAC214 VC Rotator
ADDAC System
What better way to celebrate the new year by announcing our newest module, the ADDAC214 VC Rotator?!?

Direct link to product page

MODULE SPECS
-------------------

6HP
50mA +12V
50mA -12V

DESCRIPTION
-------------------

The VC Rotator is our newest addition for routing audio, CVs, gates and triggers. A typical switch module, like our ADDAC206 can only switch one source to multiple destinations, or multiple sources to one destination.
This can be great if you're messing around with one voice, or one sequence. But what if you want more? Or better yet, what if you want to mess up your drums? Or switch about your audio sources to different processors?

The ADDAC214 solves this elegantly, at merely 6hp. It has four inputs and four outputs, so instead of 4:1 or 1:4, the VC Rotator swaps its 4 inputs to 4 outputs. You can also group it into 2 sections of 2:2.

All four inputs get routed to the four outputs based on the on-board CV and Clock controls. This is indicated in the following four (4) states:
    1. An input is routed to the output with the same number - 1:1, 2:2, 3:3, 4:4

2. An input is routed to the output with the number offset by 1 - 1:2, 2:3, 3:4, 4:1

3. An input is routed to the output with the number offset by 2 - 1:3, 2:4, 3:1, 4:2

4. An input is routed to the output with the number offset by 3 - 1:4, 2:1, 3:2, 4:3

The Direction parameter determines if the Clock input moves the rotation forward or backwards, while the Reset input resets the clock to the first step.

FEATURES
-------------------

4 Inputs
4 Outputs
Direction Switch
4 Monitor LEDs
CV Rotate with Attenuverter
Clock Input
Reset Input

Hit us up if you have any specific questions! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
Paranormal Patroler
It's up on Modular Grid.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/addac-system-addac214
eremitalf
SUPER interesting. This is gonna be great for generative stuff and modulation.
ersatzplanet
Are these switching to the different outputs or are the fading between different outputs? In other words, what kind, if any, click prevention on the audio switching?
ADDAC System
ersatzplanet wrote:
Are these switching to the different outputs or are the fading between different outputs? In other words, what kind, if any, click prevention on the audio switching?

Hi ersatzplanet, good question! The ADDAC214 contains an analog anti-pop circuit so it should work nicely when switching between audio sources.
ersatzplanet
ADDAC System wrote:
ersatzplanet wrote:

Hi ersatzplanet, good question! The ADDAC214 contains an analog anti-pop circuit so it should work nicely when switching between audio sources.

You should have that front and center on your media about this. That is a VERY salable bullet point when it comes to switches.
JohnLRice
I'm looking forward to my custom black one, hopefully arriving sometime in February? hyper

Photoshopped approximation of a black one:
monads
Looks ACE!!! Thinking of ordering one as well.
Azarius
Cant wait to grab one of these! Any word when they are shipping?
JohnLRice
Azarius wrote:
Cant wait to grab one of these! Any word when they are shipping?
Should be any time now? I was told 5 weeks ago it would be 2 to 3 weeks for a red one and 4 to 6 weeks for a custom black one.
ADDAC System
Hello!

We're shipping it already!
smile

For now it's only available directly from us, for ordering just drop us an email or fill in the order form on our website:
http://addacsystem.com/order

All the very best
Andre
rytamura
Quite interested in this module! The anti-pop feature in switching is super!!

By the way, is the I/O section "buffered"? I mean, does it work fine even if pitch CVs running through it?
Midiot
Is the 214 only available as a kit ?

As a kit, frankly it looks easy....only adding headers, pots and jacks and other mechanics.
JohnLRice
Midiot wrote:
Is the 214 only available as a kit ?

As a kit, frankly it looks easy....only adding headers, pots and jacks and other mechanics.
It's available assembled from ADDAC for $200 or as a kit from Thonk for $150. (plus shipping etc)
tenshun
Got mine in today!

Cant wait to run some drum sequences through it
JohnLRice
tenshun wrote:
Got mine in today!
thumbs up

I COULD have had mine today if I hadn't been sleeping when the delivery guy came! d'oh! cry
Paranormal Patroler
I ordered mine. Can't wait! hyper
JohnLRice
I got mine today! w00t Too tired to try it, need to sleep first . . . .

JohnLRice
My first quick somewhat simple test. I'm taking the 4 outputs of the Synth Tech E102 and passing them through the ADDAC214 before going to the Instruo QPQ. I have the main output of the Erica Synths Black Clock driving the Division6 SQ816 sequencer and then two other outputs at higher multiplications going to a center off routing switch and then to the ADDAC214 clock in. At first the ADDAC214 isn't rotating and then by selecting 2x or 4x clock speeds to rotate at the QPQ channels get new voltages more often and as a result fire gates more often.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bfv2atHgxOl/
JohnLRice
Not a demo at all but some decent quality recordings of the ADDAC214 used in various randomly wiggled patches:

1) Initial Test starts at 0:00
A typical 4 voice patch I do with this system is to process a CV sequence through the E102 shift register and then through the QPQ to provide CV and gates for the Voices. In this case the ADDAC214 is inserted between the E102 and QPQ so that when clocked at a faster rate the QPQ gets channel updates more often and fires the Voices more often. I'm using a modified Doepfer A-182-1 Switched Multiple + Doepfer A-180-2 Multiple to switch between the different Clock outputs. Delay used was the Synth Tech E580 Resampling Mini Delay.

2) LAIR starts at 2:45
This "wiggled drone" is basically 4 VCOs cross modulating each other. Audio Out 1 of all four VCOs are sent to the Mixer and audio OUT 2 of all four VCOs are sent to the ADDAC214 inputs. The ADDAC214 outputs are sent back to the VCOs FM inputs but offset by one, so most of the time a VCO will be modulating the adjacent VCO but as the ADDAC214 rotates the outputs a VCO will be occasionally modulating itself. A Synth Tech E355 Morphing Dual LFO is used to modulate the ADDAC214 rotation and to also modulate the Octasource LFO waveform.

3) Little Dog Sez starts at 9:47
This is a single Voice patch with the addition of a Synth Tech E440 VCF. The Sequencer output for row 1 is sent through a Doepfer A-185-2 Precision Adder then through a 2hp Tune quantizer and then to the E102. The four E102 outputs are sent to the ADDAC214 inputs but unlike the patch in the first piece "1) Initial Test" only output one is taken from the ADDAC214 and sent to a Ladik C102 Dial Lag (not used in this piece) and then to the 1v/octave input of the VCO, so, more of a traditional sequential switch usage of the ADDAC214, but, two of the other ADDAC214 outputs are sent to the modulation inputs of the VCO and the fourth is sent to the 1v/octave input of the E440 VCF. The E440 VCF is also getting additional modulation from the LFO and EG.

4) Sky Sea starts at 11:17
This is an extended exploration of the same patch from the previous video "3) Little Dog Sez" but with slightly different settings and manipulated differently, in particular the Clock setting was left static, the range knob on the Sequencer was used instead of the Doepfer A-185-2 Precision Adder to shift the range of notes and the Ladik C102 Dial Lag was incorporated a bit.

5) Brown Studio starts at 18:10
In this patch the a Synth Tech E950 Circuit Bent VCO + E951 Looping Expander are being manipulated and modulated. Four outputs of the LFO are sent to the ADDAC214 inputs and ADDAC214 output 1 is sent to the E950 FM/Index input. The ADDAC214 rotation is being both stepped by the Clock and also CV'd from another output of the LFO. A sixth output of the LFO modulates the E951 Bank. A second Clock output is patched to the E950 Sync input and a third Clock output is patched to the Rebel Technology Stoicheia euclidean trigger sequencer. The two Stoicheia outputs are patched to the E951 Short and Long inputs. The female vocal is played from a Mellotron Micro keyboard and processed through Montreal Assembly Count To Five delay and TC Electronic Hall Of Fame reverb pedals.

(additional patch details in the video's description)
Summa
So much good stuff in there John!!

SlayerBadger! applause w00t
JohnLRice
Summa wrote:
So much good stuff in there John!!

SlayerBadger! applause w00t
Thanks Summa! This is fun! cool
chaosick
ADDAC System wrote:
What better way to celebrate the new year by announcing our newest module, the ADDAC214 VC Rotator?!?

Direct link to product page

MODULE SPECS
-------------------

6HP
50mA +12V
50mA -12V

DESCRIPTION
-------------------

The VC Rotator is our newest addition for routing audio, CVs, gates and triggers. A typical switch module, like our ADDAC206 can only switch one source to multiple destinations, or multiple sources to one destination.
This can be great if you're messing around with one voice, or one sequence. But what if you want more? Or better yet, what if you want to mess up your drums? Or switch about your audio sources to different processors?

The ADDAC214 solves this elegantly, at merely 6hp. It has four inputs and four outputs, so instead of 4:1 or 1:4, the VC Rotator swaps its 4 inputs to 4 outputs. You can also group it into 2 sections of 2:2.

All four inputs get routed to the four outputs based on the on-board CV and Clock controls. This is indicated in the following four (4) states:
    1. An input is routed to the output with the same number - 1:1, 2:2, 3:3, 4:4

2. An input is routed to the output with the number offset by 1 - 1:2, 2:3, 3:4, 4:1

3. An input is routed to the output with the number offset by 2 - 1:3, 2:4, 3:1, 4:2

4. An input is routed to the output with the number offset by 3 - 1:4, 2:1, 3:2, 4:3

The Direction parameter determines if the Clock input moves the rotation forward or backwards, while the Reset input resets the clock to the first step.

FEATURES
-------------------

4 Inputs
4 Outputs
Direction Switch
4 Monitor LEDs
CV Rotate with Attenuverter
Clock Input
Reset Input

Hit us up if you have any specific questions! SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!

Functionality seems quite similar to something like WMD SSM but smaller and more limited, anyone want to comment on or refute that observation?
monads
They do look very similar based on module similarities. I don't own either (yet) and my guess is which one the user chooses comes down to size vs. compromise if any. Perhaps a user who owns both can chime in? Both modules appear to have their advantages.
JohnLRice

I've owned all three of the above, all great switches! SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo w00t

I feel the ADDAC214 can accomplish everything the Doepfer A-151 v2 can do plus more and the WMD SSM can accomplish everything the ADDAC214 can do plus much more. I've never sat down to prove this to be true or not, I'm just pretty sure I'm correct. hmmm..... Mr. Green

I initially had the A-151 v2 and while it was useful and fun to use I decided to get the SSM because I realized what an awesomely powerful module it is! hyper I moved the A-151 v2 to a smaller case and got the SSM but . . .I didn't have much fun using it as it was more complex to set up then I wanted to bother with for simple switching and it seemed I wasn't interested in figuring it out to do really complex things. It was in my case for a long time unused and as I was trying to figure out what modules to eliminate so that I could put others in, the ADDAC214 came out so I jumped on getting one of those and removing the SSM. I'm sure given enough time I would have learned the SSM but . . . I think this was a good decision for me as the ADDAC214 is "just right". thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> ADDAC System Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2