MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Time to completely redo my pedalboard, suggestions needed
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Author Time to completely redo my pedalboard, suggestions needed
piearesquared
I feel like I have gotten what I wanted out of my current pedalboard and I want to sell off almost all the pedals I have in order to finance the revised board. The kind of music I make on my own is ambient/experimental with a bit of post-rock/shoegaze thrown in every now and then and I play in a sludge metal band that goes into doom territory. My guitar is a Classic Player Jazzmaster and I am hoping to get a Reverend Double Agent some time in the future.

I have done a fair bit of research, but I am extremely open to suggestions, recommendations etc.

This is my current board

and here's what I have so far for the updated board
Jason Brock
Looks like a nice update. For shoegaze you could probably use a fuzz/muff. I don't see one, unless it's the big pedal on the bottom that I don't recognize.
Shaw
I think every board needs an Eventide H9... at least one. It is capable of so much that it frees up space for more “unique” sounding pedals.
smetak
I was going to mention the Superego, but see you already own one - just take notice that EHX has released a new version:

https://www.ehx.com/products/superego-plus

Heard it in a recent gig by Oren Ambarchi - quite a pedal (but, again, the Superego will probably fit the bill - love the pedal, especially for ambient).

As a suggestion, I would trade the Belle Epoch for an EchoRec (also by Catalin.) - have both, but find the EchoRec really up there. The same with the bitcrush - the Malekko Scrutator is decent, but, man, nothing compared to a Geiger Counter, especially for different textures.

Oh, no looper? Couldn't live without a looper. At least a small Ditto.
forestcaver
I lve shoegaze and wouldnt want to be without a Fuzz Face (really easy diy as well), I also reckon an Orange Squeezer is awesome as well....
building
ehx freeze?
smetak
building wrote:
ehx freeze?

He already has a SuperEgo, which makes the Freeze redudant.
building
here's a demo: https://youtu.be/IDFOWh49HaM
tuj
Go look at Fuzzhugger for your fuzz/dirt needs.
pulse_divider
I’d recommend an Afterneath for the feedback loop of the Superego
Sinamsis
I just did this myself. Haha. I took some time away from the modular and focused on putting together some post rock sort of stuff. I too play a Jazzmaster. Actually a couple, one Warmoth with Bare Knuckle Nail Boms that are coil tapped and one parts caster JM with Novaks. I also occasionally use a reissue Starcaster that I've modded the hell out of, including Fralin wide range humbuckers and a Gretsch 5422 with TV Jones filtertrons.

Check out the Chase Bliss line of pedals. Tonal recall is fantastic. I always like to have one analog delay and one digital delay. The Avalanche Run is a fantastic digital delay and reverb. Tonal Recall would play well with it. I also have two Walrus Bellwethers that I use with my synths and they are pretty nice. My only complaint is that they don't go fully wet. You really can't have too much delay haha. I ended up settling on a Tonal Recall and Empress Echosystem. The benefit of the Echosystem is having the option of running delays in parallell or series. I would look at a compressor. I also like the Walrus option for this. I'm a HUGE fan of the EHX HOG II. It's huge but does so much. Volume, wah, filter, pitch. It could replace the Super Ego and Whammy Wah. I think the Rat is awesome. I have a thing for dirt pedals. My go to are the Walrus Iron Horse (I think it's Rat like, though they say it has nothing to do with a Rat) and a Chase Bliss Brothers. I also think that in terms of fuzz pedals, Blackout Effectors is top notch. I have a Very Special Twosome Deluxe that I love. I also use a Great Destroyer, Baby Thundaa and Fat Fuzz Factory. With that much dirt, I think it's nice to have a noise gate. And maybe some more reverb.

Most importantly, I think everyone should have something like a Boss ES 8. I don't really play live, but the flexible routing has really increased my creativity. Being able to reroute where my dirt pedals are, doing things like placing a tremolo after a dense reverb, moving modulation before or after dirt. It's awesome.

smetak
pulse_divider wrote:
I’d recommend an Afterneath for the feedback loop of the Superego

Exactly what I have!
smetak
Sinamsis wrote:
I just did this myself. Haha. I took some time away from the modular and focused on putting together some post rock sort of stuff. I too play a Jazzmaster. Actually a couple, one Warmoth with Bare Knuckle Nail Boms that are coil tapped and one parts caster JM with Novaks. I also occasionally use a reissue Starcaster that I've modded the hell out of, including Fralin wide range humbuckers and a Gretsch 5422 with TV Jones filtertrons.

Check out the Chase Bliss line of pedals. Tonal recall is fantastic. I always like to have one analog delay and one digital delay. The Avalanche Run is a fantastic digital delay and reverb. Tonal Recall would play well with it. I also have two Walrus Bellwethers that I use with my synths and they are pretty nice. My only complaint is that they don't go fully wet. You really can't have too much delay haha. I ended up settling on a Tonal Recall and Empress Echosystem. The benefit of the Echosystem is having the option of running delays in parallell or series. I would look at a compressor. I also like the Walrus option for this. I'm a HUGE fan of the EHX HOG II. It's huge but does so much. Volume, wah, filter, pitch. It could replace the Super Ego and Whammy Wah. I think the Rat is awesome. I have a thing for dirt pedals. My go to are the Walrus Iron Horse (I think it's Rat like, though they say it has nothing to do with a Rat) and a Chase Bliss Brothers. I also think that in terms of fuzz pedals, Blackout Effectors is top notch. I have a Very Special Twosome Deluxe that I love. I also use a Great Destroyer, Baby Thundaa and Fat Fuzz Factory. With that much dirt, I think it's nice to have a noise gate. And maybe some more reverb.

Most importantly, I think everyone should have something like a Boss ES 8. I don't really play live, but the flexible routing has really increased my creativity. Being able to reroute where my dirt pedals are, doing things like placing a tremolo after a dense reverb, moving modulation before or after dirt. It's awesome.

Amazing pedal board!

On the dirt side of things, I have a Brothers, but don't know if it could fit the bill for a post rock/shoegaze set up - true that I haven't messed enough with it (bought it a while ago, but still haven't had the time to fully explore the effect), but from the initial settings, hard to hear where you are going to get those cutting-edge Kevin Shields tones out of it. The Ottobit, on the other hand, would be useful, especially messing with the filter.
smetak
Incidentally, speaking of fuzz, I'm a big fan of this:

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com.br/2014/10/ace-tone-fm-2-fuzz-mast er.html

Hand in glove for post rock stuff.
Sinamsis
smetak
Being able to run the two channels of Brothers in series or in parallel makes it super versatile and I find it gets pretty intense. Also I like to use the right channel with a lower gain as my dirty clean sound and then hit it with something heavy in front like the Iron Horse.
smetak
Sinamsis wrote:
smetak
Being able to run the two channels of Brothers in series or in parallel makes it super versatile and I find it gets pretty intense. Also I like to use the right channel with a lower gain as my dirty clean sound and then hit it with something heavy in front like the Iron Horse.

Interesting suggestion - still have yet o achieve the "intense spot" in regard to the effect.
piearesquared
[/quote]Can't believe I forgot to add email notifications to this post, thank you all for your replies, definitely gave me a lot to think about. Hope I can sell my pedals for a decent amount to help fund the new board

Jason Brock wrote:
Looks like a nice update. For shoegaze you could probably use a fuzz/muff. I don't see one, unless it's the big pedal on the bottom that I don't recognize.

Yeah the big pedal is a custom built pedal that a friend of mine built for me. It's basically three pedals in the same enclosure (each with its own input and output), the three pedals are a fuzz/oscillator, tremolo (which goes into audio rate) and like a very short tape wobble delay thing.

Shaw wrote:
I think every board needs an Eventide H9... at least one

I would love to have any Eventide pedal but they just cost way too much for me to able to get one.

Sinamsis wrote:
You really can't have too much delay haha

Truer words have never been spoken, that's why my revamped board has 5 delays and zero reverb, I don't know I just fell out of love with reverb in the past year or so. Your board is incredible though! It's like the best of each type of pedal with almost infinite room for experimentation. Chase Bliss is definitely a company whose pedals I would like to check out, the red knob tonal recall and the Warped Vinyl (instant Boards of Canada!) are particularly appealing to me

smetak wrote:
Heard it in a recent gig by Oren Ambarchi - quite a pedal (but, again, the Superego will probably fit the bill - love the pedal, especially for ambient).

As a suggestion, I would trade the Belle Epoch for an EchoRec (also by Catalin.) - have both, but find the EchoRec really up there. The same with the bitcrush - the Malekko Scrutator is decent, but, man, nothing compared to a Geiger Counter, especially for different textures.

Haven't heard the Echorec, will definitely give it a listen. As for bit crushers, I am torn between the ottobit Jr. and the Geiger Counter as a replacement for the Scrutator, which one do you think offers more flexibility or sounds better? Also, LOVE Oren Ambarchi! I usually use Ableton for looping I think it's much more useful to me given that I have terrible timing than a pedal, like in this video here:
Sinamsis
Hands down the ottobit jr. I have owned both, and the Geiger Counter twice now. The Ottobit is great and does cool stutter stuff so it might make the count to 5 redundant. The Geiger counter can be intense and often is. I just found it harder to control and difficult to remember what everything does. The LPF, albeit digital, does a good job of warming up the Ottobit if that’s what you want. It is an amazing pedal. Also with full MIDI implementation which for me is huge. For me it was a no brainer. Others may disagree. But the ottobit hits the spot for me. Here it is in a brief rendition of one of my favorite Mogwai songs.
Ottobit
smetak
piearesquared wrote:
Can't believe I forgot to add email notifications to this post, thank you all for your replies, definitely gave me a lot to think about. Hope I can sell my pedals for a decent amount to help fund the new board

Jason Brock wrote:

Yeah the big pedal is a custom built pedal that a friend of mine built for me. It's basically three pedals in the same enclosure (each with its own input and output), the three pedals are a fuzz/oscillator, tremolo (which goes into audio rate) and like a very short tape wobble delay thing.

Shaw wrote:
I think every board needs an Eventide H9... at least one

I would love to have any Eventide pedal but they just cost way too much for me to able to get one.

Sinamsis wrote:
You really can't have too much delay haha

Truer words have never been spoken, that's why my revamped board has 5 delays and zero reverb, I don't know I just fell out of love with reverb in the past year or so. Your board is incredible though! It's like the best of each type of pedal with almost infinite room for experimentation. Chase Bliss is definitely a company whose pedals I would like to check out, the red knob tonal recall and the Warped Vinyl (instant Boards of Canada!) are particularly appealing to me

smetak wrote:

Haven't heard the Echorec, will definitely give it a listen. As for bit crushers, I am torn between the ottobit Jr. and the Geiger Counter as a replacement for the Scrutator, which one do you think offers more flexibility or sounds better? Also, LOVE Oren Ambarchi! I usually use Ableton for looping I think it's much more useful to me given that I have terrible timing than a pedal, like in this video here:
[/quote]

You're the man behind "Pie Are Squared" clips - really dig your stuff! Excellent and most melodic use of the 0-Coast to date (must confess that I've attempted to copy your patches with the SQ 1, but with nil results) - because of your videos, I got in line for ordering a Lyra 8 - great stuff, mate! Hope you post more soon! Excellent work!

Hum.....to choose between a Geiger Counter and an Ottobit - tough. They are quite different pedals, despite both being bitcrushers.

Although some are dissed by the Ottobit's digital filters, I do like them quite a bit and the pedal is extremely versatile, way beyond just being a bitcrusher, an incredibly complex machine - with the stutter, sequencer and midi capability, tweakable to hearts desire - I got mine a few months ago, but haven't even begun to scratch the surface. Quite an amazing effect.

Yet, that said, the Geiger, which is "only" a bitcrusher, has a palette of sound that's hard to beat. You can spend the rest of your life horsing around with the sounds hidden in this thing and you will never get even close to testing them all. True, some are complete chaos, unusable and you can't save settings, but, man, when you hit the sweet spot its bit heaven! All fuzzyness and static one can handle, all in a box. Have it now for a couple of years and still love it - even bought the euro version for a small effect rig that I've mounted.

You can get a tremendous amount from both pedals, which, in essence, are quite different. My best bet would be to watch the Pedal & Effects demo for the Ottobit (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhgILBN7mCM&t=151s - despite some inane comments - it would be nice to see juan alderete grow up -, the review is quite thorough and gives you an excellent idea of what the pedal can do) and attempt to try for yourself a Geiger Counter to see if its your thing (the demos I've seen don't really do the pedal justice - though there are a few very good sound samples on the WMD site that you should give a shot).

Caught Oren Ambarchi last november when he played in Brooklyn with loren connors - a rather short yet stunning set. I took a snapshot of his set with my cheap cellphone (posted the photo here, somewhere in this section - but can't seem to find it) - he didn't work with ableton or any type of DAW - used various pedals, all connected to a Mackie - for looping, he used an an early version of the Boomerang.
Sinamsis
Just got a chance to watch video. Sounds great. What are you using to control the looper in Ableton? I have an EHX 225000 but I feel like I would be better served just using Ableton and programming my Behringer FCB1010 to control it.
piearesquared
Sinamsis wrote:
Hands down the ottobit jr. I have owned both, and the Geiger Counter twice now. The Ottobit is great and does cool stutter stuff so it might make the count to 5 redundant. The Geiger counter can be intense and often is. I just found it harder to control and difficult to remember what everything does. The LPF, albeit digital, does a good job of warming up the Ottobit if that’s what you want. It is an amazing pedal. Also with full MIDI implementation which for me is huge. For me it was a no brainer. Others may disagree. But the ottobit hits the spot for me. Here it is in a brief rendition of one of my favorite Mogwai songs.
Ottobit

Take Me Somehwere Nice, sounds gorgeous man! That song is one of the songs my wife and I bonded over when we first met hahaha. I don't know to be honest how to compare these pedals, the clean-ambient loving part of me feels the Ottobit would perfectly fit the bill whereas the noise-loving part definitely prefers the Geiger Counter. However, the Ottobit's MIDI capabilities make it much more useful. Glad you liked my video, I use the Behringer FCB1010 for looping or when I am lazy I just create triggers to start clip recording and put these triggers along Ableton's arrangement view.

smetak wrote:
You're the man behind "Pie Are Squared" clips - really dig your stuff! Excellent and most melodic use of the 0-Coast to date (must confess that I've attempted to copy your patches with the SQ 1, but with nil results) - because of your videos, I got in line for ordering a Lyra 8 - great stuff, mate! Hope you post more soon! Excellent work!

Thank you so much man, really glad you like my synth videos. Strange you couldn't recreate the patches, if you tell me which ones specifically you were trying to replicate I can PM you the exact patch I was using (pretty sure I have them written down somewhere). And definitely go for the Lyra 8, it is incredible and accompanies the 0-Coast perfectly. You have to bear in mind at the beginning that it is what it is and to not try to expect it to do stuff "regular" do, for lack of a better word.

I haven't watched Pedals & Effects' demo of the Ottobit but The SuperFunAwesomeHappyTime Pedal Show's demo was pretty well done and convinced me of the pedal's capabilities
Sinamsis
For me the benefit of the Ottobit is you can easily take it or you can slam it with some dirt before, after or both and it can take you into Geiger Counter territory. You’re not going to get the waveshaoing aspect really but I would say you can do that elsewhere more efficiently. It’s just not a feature I find absolutely necessary in a guitar pedal. That said if WMD ever releases the updated deluxe version of the GC with presets I’ll probably be all over it.
Johnnyfive
when i was looking for a distortion pedal, i found the new proco rats super harsh and trebly, even though i loved the way the distortion itself sounded, if that makes sense. ended up with an older made in USA rat 2, which sounds a lot more balanced. might be worth considering.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Guitars, Basses, Amps & FX  
Page 1 of 1