MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Anyone make CP/ half panels, just panel, for System 15 case?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author Anyone make CP/ half panels, just panel, for System 15 case?
sanders
Hi, I apologize if there's already topics like this-- I searched but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I know there are 5u users, and probably suppliers(?), who have made CP sized front panels. I'm hoping to find someone who could sell me a row of CP sized utility panels for the lower row of a system 15 case. I have one I'd like to begin filling up this year.

I got the case fairly cheap, some years back, knowing I'd eventually like to put together a "portable" 5u system. I know COTK sells beautiful CP modules, but, I sort of prefer making my own modules if and when it's possible to do so.

I have the piano hinge thing that goes at the bottom of the CP panels. I would love to find an 8 space panel that correspond to the bottom row of a typical sys15 with power switch, etc. But any utility CP panels will work, and would be awesome.

JohnLRice
Hi,

I think your best bet would be to contact Ben at http://www.resynthesis.shop/ as I'm sure he can make what you need. thumbs up

Keep in mind that two different heights of CP panel have emerged. Take a read through this thread and make sure you are getting CP panels that will work the best in your case:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120103
EPTC
JohnLRice wrote:
http://www.resynthesis.shop/

Wow, what a groovy site!

John, what sort of thing have you used Ben for? (If you don't mind saying) - Love that he does custom panel requests.
sanders
Yes, thank you, I'll get in touch with him. I remember he used to have some half panels listed on his site.

I wonder if Free State FX in the US does any CP panels; I might ask them too.
JohnLRice
EPTC wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
http://www.resynthesis.shop/

Wow, what a groovy site!

John, what sort of thing have you used Ben for? (If you don't mind saying) - Love that he does custom panel requests.
The only thing I've purchased directly from Ben was a single MU sympleSEQ module (fully assembled) and it was very nice! thumbs up And . . . I have heard that he was/is the panel supplier for several modular manufacturers. Ninja
boothnavy
I have some. Fabbed from the original Moog drawing. Let me see how many and what size. Pm me if you are interested.
Rex Coil 7
Why can't you commission someone (or do it your self) to just make them up in Front Panel Designer? It's just metal with some holes in it.

Hell I'll do it for ya ... I just need accurate hole intervals on the strip hinge to make it fit properly. Give me the accurate dimensions of all of the hole placements, and also give me about a week or so to do up the FPE files (I have a lot going on at present .... moving my 84 year old mother into an assisted living complex .. her choice by the way .. managing the sale of her home, and so forth ... also have a few other synth and guitar projects happening that I owe to people).

No charge. cool

I'll just send you the approved design on a Front Panel Express file, you pay them, they send you metal with holes in it.
Synthoholic
Before I got CP mixers I asked Seb (Mos-Lab) for 6 blank cp and it was going to be like 60 bucks each to have them made from RE:Synthesis. Needless to say I just went ahead and ordered the mixers.
Rex Coil 7
I've spent minimal time on this, but so far an 8 space wide x 5.625" x 3mm thick panel is less than $50.00.

I'm using published Dot Com conventions for the width, which means (8 spaces x 2.125") 17.00" minus 0.010" for a total width of 16.99". That said, the dimensions I'm using are 16.99" x 5.625" tall x 0.1181" thick (3mm). Price says $50.71 for black anodized. If you want raw aluminum it's $41.35.

Honestly I can't see this going beyond $75.00 after mounting holes are included, and $75 bucks is a pretty high overshoot on my part.

So for comparative pricing benchmarks using $75.00 for a blank 8 space wide CP panel is probably a fair place to begin.

I would go with blank, raw, unfinished aluminum myself. That said, an 8 space CP panel would cost ~around~ $42.00 plus shipping. Add some holes to bump the cost up just a few dollars.
Rex Coil 7
.... (continued thoughts from my post above) ....

Let's call it $5.25 per MU space.

That's for 3mm thick (0.1181") raw aluminum. Go with 2mm thick and it goes down to $4.66 per MU space. 2mm thick would be fine, considering that all Doepfer Euro panels are 2mm thick, and Euro is 5.25" tall.

That said 2mm thick x 5.625" tall CP panels would work fine without the broke edges for support.

I'm posting these figures to provide a comparative index to be used as a pricing benchmark.
synthnut
Hi,
Just dropped by Muffs and realised my ears were burning!
I can do custom CP panels, that's no problem. Can be in Moog lower hole pattern for piano hinge fitting or the Moon/Mos-Lab lower hole spacing.
Produced in photo-chemically etched, matte black anodised aluminium with folded sides, these EXACTLY the same as used by Moon, Moog, Mos-Lab etc ;-)
Not listed on the site, but anything from one unit to eight units wide is do-able...

Keep wiggling!

TTFN,
Ben
www.resynthesis.co.uk
boothnavy
I also have a few of these in stock. Fabricated directly from the original Moog drawing. Powder coated black. $25 + shipping.
EPTC
I'm not sure if this is discussed here, but what about a powered skiff or small box for CP sized modules? Does that exist? Would love that.
Mark11Audio
EPTC wrote:
I'm not sure if this is discussed here, but what about a powered skiff or small box for CP sized modules? Does that exist? Would love that.

While an interesting concept... I'm fairly certain it becomes a "supply vs. demand" and I'd bet not much of a demand... even if they were made available. Just my .02€ Mr. Green
Rex Coil 7
EPTC wrote:
Totally within the range of the current "median DIYer". Since the CP panels/modules are only 3/8" of an inch taller than Euro, you could easily do a few things to get this done.

A.) Design your own CP panels (here I go beating that Front Panel Designer drum again) that have the required smaller mounting holes to accommodate 2.5mm screws and nuts used in Vector Rail. Use standard Euro dimensions so as to be able to use an already available skiff.

B.) Take it one step further and make your own skiff using Vector rail (it makes it super easy to deal with module mounting issues). Make the spread between the rails to handle 5.625" panels (CP sized panels). Design your own panels with the smaller mounting holes needed when using Vector rail.

C.) You can also just make your own stinkin' CP skiff! Heheh. Some 1x4's, a little bit of plywood for the back, wooden mounting rails.

If "A" or "B" are to your liking, essentially all you need to think about is you're sortof just making 15 volt modules/circuits put in Euro panels. Euro is 5.25" tall, CP is ~roughly~ 5.625" tall (depending on hinge or no-hinge design, there is a +/- to the dimension). Euro and CP are very close, so close that I'd bet few folks would ever catch on. If nothing else, using a 3U height sure makes some things more convenient for faking up a row of CP.

Just some ideas.

cool

EDIT: D.) Pay some poor sumbitch to do the whole thing for you. hihi
coyoteous
Remember frac is 3U, too... I have my Blacet/Wiard frac rack currently racked under some 5U, and it looks pretty 'CP.'

My Moon RP fills out the CP row at the bottom with mults bringing it to 4U (14U total height).

OK, here's a secret idea I was keeping to myself and that I may still do... Dotcom rack frame people that want CP: drill an extra hole in each ear (ouch!), in just the right places, and boom!

You gots your CP rack frame right there.

Back to the OP: excellent case, congratulations!
Rex Coil 7
This entire thing takes me right back to something I have been banging on about for a few months now.

We need an ISEP dealer in the US!

For those unaware, "ISEP Rail" is just like Vector rail except it's larger and uses 6-32 screws (just like Dot Com frames do). Essentially, ISEP rail is "Vector Rails for 5U modules".

If ISEP were available here in the US, then these issues of how to make rows of CP would be handled keenly.

I've been looking into dealing ISEP, and I would also offer side plates ... some as rack ears (made in any "spread" so that ears would be available in CP format, or 5U format). And there would be "flat ears" that would permit easily mounting the plates against the inside of a cabinet ... again with spreads in CP and 5U.

Since the ISEP rail just like Vector, and sliding nuts are available for ISEP, MOTM or MU would make no difference .... just slide the nuts to deal with any width module.

Yup, I do believe that ISEP rail, sliding nuts, rack ears and flat ears for both CP and 5U would make life a crapload easier for the DIY enthusiast that wants to have their Skiff, their CP cab, or any other "Moog/5U inspired" project come to life. All of that type of stuff is already available for Euro, and look at the variation of design that soooo many Euro users have used!

The proper hardware can inspire creation.
cool

I suppose there's no reason I couldn't also offer side plates ("flat ears") and rack ears properly spaced for any of the lesser used formats. They would be rather easy to make, to be honest. ISEP provides the rest needed to make a cabinet of any configuration after the side plates and/or rack ears are made.

Someone was going to provide me with some infos regarding importing ISEP .... if I can make it all "go" I may just go ahead and become a US dealer, as well as manufacture flat and rack ears of various sizes and configurations. Haven't heard from that person just yet, but I'm sure they're busy.

Movin' On ..... nanners
Mark11Audio
coyoteous wrote:

OK, here's a secret idea I was keeping to myself and that I may still do... Dotcom rack frame people that want CP: drill an extra hole in each ear (ouch!), in just the right places, and boom!

BRILLIANT F***ing idea !!!! woah thumbs up
Rex Coil 7
Mark11Audio wrote:
coyoteous wrote:

BRILLIANT F***ing idea !!!! woah thumbs up
It would also require cutting the rack ears down to 3U+, otherwise you have a 5U rack ear on each side of a row of modules that are scarcely larger than 3U.

At the end of the day it would be less involved to simply make your own rack ears from angle aluminum, then screw in the cross rails that were taken from the Dot Com rack frames. You're out $65.00 for the Dot Com rack frame plus the cost of the aluminum. Essentially, you're paying $65 bucks for two module rails with threaded holes in them.
coyoteous
Mark11Audio: Thanks! (I'm probably in the low integers for good ideas to hundreds of bad ones... the latter often proven bad by disastrous attempts at 'proof of concept'... 'what could go wrong?')

Rex Coil 7: All true, but with my racks made of rack rail, it can just leave a little 'garage'/raised/open space at the bottom... or I'd thought about filling it in with a panel, etc.

I ended up with two cases that have CP space... the frac rack is still at the bottom of one my 20U homemade frames, but raised 2U with three 5U rows of boutique MU above.

I have a 2U UCP frame with various cutout panels (as used in touring racks, etc.), that I thought of putting in there... but, I kind of like it open for now.
EMwhite
The right 1/2 of the Model 15 CP row panel is near useless. Yes you need a way to power it on and the trunk lines are handy, but the section with the CV and trigger connections (if you do not have an original Moog keyboard) are not worth their space.

Why not take to Front Panel Express as others have mentioned; when I first read it, I was down on the idea due to the fact that the folded bare aluminum edges would be missed; but frankly, a machined 1/8" on either end would look close enough and you could have a line or two machined which lines up with the module spacing.

Spend a few weeks marking up the ultimate panel with holes for everything you might desire and combine it with an HPGL graphic (see other thread).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1