MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

USB "B" to 5 pin DIN converter of some sort?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author USB "B" to 5 pin DIN converter of some sort?
Rex Coil 7
My wife has one of these Yamaha workstations (model PSR-E363) that only has USB "B" I/O as far as MIDI is concerned.

What I want to do is give her the ability to use the synth to control other MIDI gear. For example, she has a Korg Odysssey (only has MIDI in via 5 pin DIN). It would be great to use the Yamaha's keyboard to play the Odyssey.

The Yamaha also sends audio out via the USB "B" connect.

So I'm looking for a NO COMPUTER solution, some type of breakout box of sorts that will accept a USB "A" cable into it, and provide MIDI 5 pin DIN output from the USB input.

A big bonus would be if that "box" also had audio outputs that are derived from the same USB input, but it's not a requirement. She's presently using the Headphone output as the main audio out into her mixer, and it seems to be working fine that way. The audio quality from the headphone out is the same as the USB audio out, thankfully.

Soo ... whatchya got for me there? To summarize, I need a box of sorts that will "convert" USB "A" to MIDI 5 pin DIN ... full on MIDI I/O that is. I say USB "A" since cables that go from USB "A" to USB "B" are very easy to locate, so the idea is to plug a standard USB cable into the Yamaha's USB "B" output, then plug the USB "A" end of the cable into the breakout box which would then convert the output to 5 pin DIN (MIDI).

Any help?

Thank you! thumbs up
mskala
Try this: http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml

Devices like the PSR-E363 need to be plugged into a USB host, which means a computer. There's no truly "NO COMPUTER" way to do what you're asking for. But the Kenton box is a very small special-purpose computer meant for this kind of situation so that you don't need to use a laptop or similar.
imcmahon
also if the thing is class compliant for both midi and audio, you can cobble together a raspberry pi solution that'll do what you want all around, both breaking it out to serial DIN midi as well as providing the audio. May be more latency in the audio than you'd like though
Rex Coil 7
mskala wrote:
Try this: http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml

Devices like the PSR-E363 need to be plugged into a USB host, which means a computer. There's no truly "NO COMPUTER" way to do what you're asking for. But the Kenton box is a very small special-purpose computer meant for this kind of situation so that you don't need to use a laptop or similar.
Now now, lest we not pick nits! You know precisely what I meant when I said NO COMPUTER! If we're going to go there, an abacus is a computer as well, as are a pair of dice.

Aren't you the cute one. lol

And thanks for the heads up on the Kenton. Funny thing, I'd actually looked at Kenton's offerings and rolled right past that item. Thanks a ton for bringing it to my attention, that will do very well! And it helps that I'm not only a fan of Kenton's products but also a decades-long user as well.

Super great stuff, thanks once again.
Rex Coil 7
imcmahon wrote:
also if the thing is class compliant for both midi and audio, you can cobble together a raspberry pi solution that'll do what you want all around, both breaking it out to serial DIN midi as well as providing the audio. May be more latency in the audio than you'd like though
I'd thought of that months back, to the point that I created a ~project~ in Mouser collecting parts required for the job. I thought I'd take a stab at asking the membership here before I went DIY.

Thank you for the suggestion, I'm big on learning things and my best days are those that I've learned something new. Today has been a good day!

thumbs up
tioJim
I had exact same problem with my Roland FP30 digital piano and use the Kenton, works a treat.
Rex Coil 7
tioJim wrote:
I had exact same problem with my Roland FP30 digital piano and use the Kenton, works a treat.
Excellent, thanks!
cnicht
http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-midi-converter?utm_source=google&utm _medium=googleshopping&utm_campaign=googlebase&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwrqll siv2AIVQirTCh1VJgeOEAQYAiABEgK7TvD_BwE
Rex Coil 7
cnicht wrote:
http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-midi-converter?utm_source=google&utm _medium=googleshopping&utm_campaign=googlebase&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwrqll siv2AIVQirTCh1VJgeOEAQYAiABEgK7TvD_BwE
Wow .... modern manufacturing methods have made available toys that just ten years ago were the property of only the most deeply involved geeks.

Thanks!
fitzgreyve
for a DIY solution, I second the hobbytronics - works well (I'm using it with an Akai MPC Mk II keyboard).

the only small "gotcha" is that by default it is set up to not pass real-time midi (clock etc) to the USB device - this needs to be activated if needed.
cereyanlimusiki
I would also recommend this one as it is giving you more flexibility that you might ned lol ( Check Raspberry Pi USB Host mode )

https://www.retrokits.com/shop/rk004/
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1