MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Alternative Sequantizer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Author Alternative Sequantizer
Llouwelyn
Hi, I'm looking for an alternative module Sequantizer for my futur system 300 please? What is your suggestion?

Thanks for reply.
J3RK
The Sequantizer is pretty powerful for a one-module sequencer. Are you looking for something to supplement one, replace it? Are you looking for something more random, or just more fully featured? (16 steps or something like that?)

There isn't another official sequencer for this format, so are you looking for something in another format, external, something converted to Wiard 6U, custom?

It just occurred to me that something like this might be nice with a Wiard 300 setup:

http://analoguehaven.com/futureretro/512touchkeyboard/
Llouwelyn
Yes replace it, not foncction random because there is Woggle bug for that, just sequencer/quantizer module maybe another formats yes, 6U module will be great for sure. Thanks
slow_riot
It's a very competitive market out there now and niche manufacturers need to be careful with how they use their limited resources or genuinely risk going out of business, or perhaps a trip to a psychiatric facility. Given the number of excellent standalone or euro sequencers on the market now there is unlikely to be the interest in a 6U seqeuencer to cross the threshold that will justify the risk and time required to bring one to market.

Aside from euro, I've heard good things from friends about Squarp Pyramid, and the Sequentix Cirklon.

Another option to explore is sequencing from Reaktor blocks, or Max/MSP. Most soundcards offer balanced inputs and outputs, and assuming they are DC coupled the only additional hardware you need to interface with balanced modules is a 1/4" TRS to bantam cable.
Llouwelyn
I don't want to return in the Euro-rack but your option from Reaktor is great.
Squarp Pyramide can be a solution also.

Thanks J3RK for your suggestion.
slow_riot
Llouwelyn wrote:
I don't want to return in the Euro-rack but your option from Reaktor is great.
Squarp Pyramide can be a solution also.

Thanks J3RK for your suggestion.

Yes it does somewhat defeat the purpose of a self contained instrument to recommend eurorack modules, but the commercial imperative means that modules outside of the euro format must be unique enough to draw people in.

Reaktor blocks is a gamechanger for me, especially with the ease of moving from a balanced module to a balanced audio device. Latency and user interface is a barrier to really complex cross patching between the 2 domains. But, say sequencing at the beginning of a patch, and processing like reverb or granular at the end is no trouble.
Llouwelyn
I have Gearbox for syncing Daw with Modular.
Maybe there is a solution with Matrix Mixer as Pseudo-Sequencer also.
slow_riot
Any soundcard can output a clock from an audio track.

A DC coupled soundcard can output 1v/oct. There are many Max/MSP, Max for Live and Reaktor patches that are designed to output scaled steps that can then be used by a module. Reaktor Blocks that was added to version 6 has been designed specifically to interface with the analogue domain. Here, I used the "8 steps" block to sequence my oscillators using an Echo Audiofire 4 and a 1/4" TRS to bantam cable.

johnnywoods
I've really enjoyed using the Koma Komplex with my wiard system. They play very, very well together.
sabasan
I think the best solution is just wait as most wiarder done in the past,
meanwhile get some euro as metropolis and rene with some utilities you can get close to sequantizer
Llouwelyn
I'm waiting to received my system 300, there are other solutions, but I will never go back to the Euro-rack. SlayerBadger!
dogoftears
hm, i always thought of the blacet frac stuff as pairing nicely with wiard. therefore i suggest hexzone and binary zone.

but yeah a koma komplex would perhaps be ideal.
J3RK
johnnywoods wrote:
I've really enjoyed using the Koma Komplex with my wiard system. They play very, very well together.

Nice suggestion. I almost forgot about that one. That would indeed be a great Wiard companion.
thee ghost ov n_phay
slow_riot wrote:
the commercial imperative means that modules outside of the euro format must be unique enough to draw people in.

I don't think it really matters how unique a module is, the scene as it is is such a monoculture that very nearly nobody gives one (1) fuck about anything that isnt a euro format module. It is a shame but that's the way it is.

If you want something in 300-format, then you'll have to DIY it yourself, there are no available options other than the sequantizer itself. I built for myself a 300 format version of Fonik's VC pattern sequencer, that's a pretty good piece, with enough differences from the sequatizer that it's worth adding to a 300 setup. the PCB is OOP but you may be able to score one from someone who has one but hasn't built it yet. there mey be other sequencer PCBs that can be adapted. Ken Stone's "Gated comparator" can be easily adapted into an 8-step sequencer with the ability to play more than one step at a time, I THINK it may be possible to adapt that into 300 format too, but haven't done that myself.

If you want a module but don't want euro, then Blacet's "Hex Zone" is a 16-step sequencer with 2 rows, 32 memories, chain memories, and the ability to act as a 16->1 or 1->16 programmable switch. Blacet gear has the same power requiremets as Wiard and some of John's other modules, especially the envelope generator and the programmable mixer work very well and are highly compatible with Wiard gear.

If a standalone sequencer is OK, then the Arturia Beastep Pro is very good, a lot of patterns and chains too, very easy to use, patterns are 16 x 2 each with a velo CV out as well as note CV and gate, also very cheap, a real bargain for what it does.

This is based on stuff I actually own and use, not supposition, I may not post much, but when I do, it's quality smile

BugBrand
thee ghost ov n_phay wrote:
I don't think it really matters how unique a module is, the scene as it is is such a monoculture that very nearly nobody gives one (1) fuck about anything that isnt a euro format module. It is a shame but that's the way it is.

If you want something in 300-format, then you'll have to DIY it yourself

I'd have thought Wiard could be one of the few formats (as lovely complete ecosystems) that can survive on a small scale. And the Stock List page maybe gives hope for a return of the Sequantizer, don't you think?

Quote:
Temporarily unavailable pending replacement with a redesigned module.

Its the only module that says that..
thee ghost ov n_phay
BugBrand wrote:
I'd have thought Wiard could be one of the few formats (as lovely complete ecosystems) that can survive on a small scale.

I hope so! it is a very ergonomic and pleasing format to use.
thee ghost ov n_phay
I hadn't realised that the Sequantizer was currently not available, sorry. I would wait for one, as it stands it's a really good little sequencer, I'm sure that any improvements Cary G might make will be very worthwhile, as they were on the Joystick controller thing.
slow_riot
BugBrand wrote:
I'd have thought Wiard could be one of the few formats (as lovely complete ecosystems) that can survive on a small scale.

Not what the job centre told me today about my business...

cry
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Page 1 of 1