MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

VC-EGs and touch sensivity
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author VC-EGs and touch sensivity
Putte
I use a rather big 5U system, mostly controlled with a DIY keyboard. The keyboard has a built in Doepfer MKE, connected to a Kenton Pro solo mkII. I didn´t know the keyboard had touch sensivity at first, but I discovered that as I once conneccted it to a old Kawai K3m. I did that without the Kenton box, obviously.

Now I´m a bit curious about the possibilities of using that touch sensivity on my modular. How can I, for example, use it with one of my krisp1 VC/ADSR:s to affect the frequency level on my Q107 filter?

Normally, the trigger output from the Pro Solo goes to two EG:s in my patches. One of them controls a filter. On a krisp1 VC/ADSR, that would be via the GATE IN and the ADSR OUT. Is the answer to my question to add a cable from the AUX jack on the Pro solo to the VCA IN on the EG?
sbuge
From the Kenton Pro MKii manual:
Quote:

20 AUX 1 controller number (default: 16)
- Sets which MIDI controller will control the auxiliary output. The following can be selected:
Clock [CL]
Trig Pulse [tr]
Off [Of]
Pitch bend [Pb]
Velocity [VL]
Aftertouch [Af]
MIDI controllers 0-120
If trig pulse is selected, the aux output will send a short trigger pulse whenever a valid new
MIDI note is received – this can be used to drive the envelope generator on synths that
require a separate trigger for this. (Only usually needed by the Arp 2600 and a few modulars)
If clock is selected, the clock divide ratio (para #41) controls the relationship with MIDI clock.
Set Aux min value to 0 and max to 50, or to produce an inverted output set min value to 50
and max to 0

I do not have Kenton pro soloist (but I have Krisp1/Oakley ADSR) so this is just how I understand this.

In Kenton: If you set AUX to VL value.
AUX output should send velocity output-CV signals. The faster you hit your keys the higher the velocity CV value is.
So if you plug Kentons AUX output to your EG VCA-IN. Velocity CV value scales the ADSR signal in the VCA-OUT & you can plug this signal for example to FILTER CV IN. So the faster you hit keys more filter cutoff is affected.
authorless
Yep, then use the VCA out instead of the envelope out.
ppkstat
If this is the Oakley ADSR with embedded VCA:

Pressure CV from Kenton -> VCA in of ADSR
ADSR -> Q107 CV in

If it's just a basic envelope just run it through a vca and modulate the amplitude with pressure as a CV.
trentpmcd
I do things a bit different. I have done it by using pressure (or foot pedal or mod wheel or...) to control an envelope through a VCA. And when using pressure for vibrato, I'd use a VCA and an LFO. But to change the filter cutoff or the resonance, 90% of the time I add it to the output of the envelope that I am using before putting it into the filter. The effect can be different than using a VCA and tend to like it better for my playing style. Just something else you can try.
Putte
Thanks, all of you. I was close, then, but a bit unsure of how to patch the EG. I would probably have figured that one out, since there aren´t many variations, but It´s allways nice to get things right from the start.

I´ll report after I´ve been to the studio, and tell you how things went.
Stereotactixxx
Just to be clear, by touch sensitivity, do you mean velocity or do you mean aftertouch?
Putte
Right, Stereotactixxx, my fault. Actually, both would be pleasant, but I was thinking of velocity.
Stereotactixxx
Well, for velocity I can just echo what's already been said. For aftertouch, just connect aftertouch CV directly to another filter CV in.
trentpmcd
Putte wrote:
Right, Stereotactixxx, my fault. Actually, both would be pleasant, but I was thinking of velocity.

OK, disregard my previous - I was talking pressure. Velocity would be VCA to control the envelope (unless you have a VC EG, then there a lot of possibilities).
dopefiend
I tend to send the velocity voltage from the keyboard straight to either the VCF (to open it) or to the VCA (for both attack time and overall volume). To give it a slower release, I tend to feed the voltage through a lag processor to give it as much "down" lag as desired.
Putte
Just tried it, and it worked perfectly, except that my double MIDI keyboard does´nt have after touch. I would have preferred that, I think, before velocity sensitivity. After touch is easier to work with on mono synths.

Not sure how useful this will be, but it added a dimension to my modular, so thanks again for the help.
Dave Peck
And if you have an envelope generator with CV inputs for modulating the attack/decay/release times, try routing the velocity to the decay mod input so that faster key strikes will give you slightly longer decay times (in addition to higher overall amplitude of the EG, by using the EG-through-VCA technique described above).

If the patch you are using has an attack time that is not an instant attack, and is something more like a 'string section' envelope, also try routing velocity to the attack time mod input to slightly SHORTEN the attack time while it slightly LENGTHENS the decay time. Combined with modulating the EG overall level, this can give you some really expressive control.
Putte
Like my krisp1 VC-ADSR/VCA, Dave?
Dave Peck
The Krisp EG has a built-in VCA but I don't think the Krisp EG has VC control inputs to modify the envelope times, does it? I was thinking of things like the Moon 511C VC ADSR or the Synthetic Sound Lab model 1230. These types of EGs allow you to use Velocity signals to control the shape/time of the EG as well as the overall level (amplitude) of the EG.

EDIT - Oh, wait, you must mean THIS Krisp VC EG, right?

http://www.krisp1.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&p roducts_id=77

Then yes! Controlling the EG with velocity can really give some excellent results!
Putte
Exactly, with CV for each of the A, D, S and R.
Still remember the day that sexy piece of machinery arrived. I was extremely tired at work the day after. What a wonderful module.

Hmmm, wonder what that loop function. Might be another sleepless night.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 1