MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Manhattan analog steiner vcf
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Manhattan analog steiner vcf
DonKartofflo
Anybody got one of these babies yet?
I recall it being a prototype for quite some time and yesterday i saw
matttech stocking them so i figured now is the time to ask for first-hand experiences.

matttech
Yeah, just got these in....not tried it yet, but it’s based on the Steiner Parker SYNTHASYSTEM VCF - also found in the Livewire Frequensteiner - but with some enhancements.

...but generally a very faithful version of that original design, and done with approval from Nyle Steiner, who gets royalties from the sales.

I’ll upload some better pics of it in a bit....but you can see some of them here:

https://matttechmodular.co.uk/product/steiner-vcf/
The Junglechrist
Very curious about this one as well !
matttech
some pics....nice and shallow this one too

pieter
Are those two identical outputs?
DonKartofflo
Its very pretty!
So this is the synthasystem vcf, the same as the minibrute and frequensteiner, right?
So then theres also the synthacon vcf which is supposed to be different?
Im a bit confused as i love both the minibrute filter and the frequensteiner but im not sure of the nomenclature...
matttech
Based on the SYNTHASYSTEM, like the frequensteiner

I think the minibrute one is quite different, and possibly a newer design unrelated to the vintage ones.
deltaAquarii
very nice, looking forward to hear some sound examples.
DonKartofflo
matttech wrote:
Based on the SYNTHASYSTEM, like the frequensteiner

I think the minibrute one is quite different, and possibly a newer design unrelated to the vintage ones.

I was under the impression the minibrutes filter was based on yves usson's
Diy project for a vintage steiner filter seriously, i just don't get it
But he probably made quite a few changes while adapting it gor the mini hence the difference in sound you mentioned
technicoloraudio
I love Manhattan Analog, but I wish they’d throw some cv control over resonance. Huge SVVCF fan though, I’m sure this daddy is top notch as well.
MindMachine
technicoloraudio wrote:
I love Manhattan Analog, but I wish they’d throw some cv control over resonance. Huge SVVCF fan though, I’m sure this daddy is top notch as well.

Then it would be a different filter.
Isaiah
I believe the Arturia synths use an adaption of the Steiner SynthaCON VCF.
The MA Steiner filter is based on the slightly different SynthaSYSTEM VCF.
matttech
Isaiah wrote:
I believe the Arturia synths use an adaption of the Steiner SynthaCON VCF.
The MA Steiner filter is based on the slightly different SynthaSYSTEM VCF.

I think you might be right actually

In my mind there are the "gnarly" Steiner filters - such as the Blue Lantern Diode VCF, which usually have the 3 different inputs for the different modes - and which I understood to be based on the SYNTHACON

looks like the Arturia ones were a recently-enhanced modern take on this design too.

....and the less gnarly and aggressive designs - such as the Frequensteiner - which have the switches for the modes, and I thought were based on the SYNTHASYSTEM
Gordon Cole
Killer - he finished it - I remember talking about this when he was still working on it.

Let's hear some examples
negativspace
Hey folks, glad to see some interest in this thing! w00t

First of all, let's clear up a few things about the design. It's a straight-up reissue of the Synthasystem VCF, built on Nyle Steiner's and David Ingebretsen's modern schematic for the DIY version that's available elsewhere. (Nyle was kind enough to share his original drawing with me, though, and there's really no material difference.)

The Frequensteiner is "based on" the Synthasystem design as I understand it, but I don't know how divergent it is or is not. I know that it sounds fantastic, but based on my (very) limited first-hand experience with one, it doesn't sound identical. Having built and tested ~60 of them now, mine are very consistent from unit to unit, so I wouldn't necessarily chalk that up to natural variation either. Also it's been about a year since I played with a FS, so... memory and such.

Second, yes, the two outputs are parallel as in the original design. This filter doesn't output all filter modes at once like a SVF, rather they're accessed on the input side, so it's not like you could have them all available on their own output simultaneously like you do with some other designs. We did try a version with 3 individual-mode inputs early in the beta phase but I think all agreed that it was pretty underwhelming. I liked the switched-mode version better from a panel design standpoint too, so that's what we went with.

Third - and this is important to me - this release is done under full license terms with Nyle and David, which is also why the name Steiner and the Steiner waveform logo are present on the panel. They both get paid for each one that sells. It is also the first module of many from the Synthasystem I intend to release, but one thing at a time. I'm only a one man (and a half, now) company. cool

As far as demos go, I'm presently working out an agreement with Ben Wilson for one of his very excellent videos but that's not going to happen tomorrow, or even next week, due to his workload. I have PC hardware issues that have prevented me from recording anything (public or private) for a while now, but I will try to kludge a workaround to record something for you in the meantime.

For now, I know this isn't a proper demo and I'm not trying to pass it off as one, but the Synthasystem VCF features prominently in this track. It's one of my old DIY builds, but it's the one that served as the prototype for these and it was in fact copied meticulously for the retail version. It's very representative, if you can pick it out:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/negativspace/wingless[/s]

And finally, huge thanks to Dakota Melin (dksynth) for his work on the PCBs. I don't know if I'd have had time to get this released without you!
grape tony
This looks great

Love all the Steiner filters and clones differently.
Currently selling my Frequensteiner if any one is interested wink

Manhattan makes A+ quality stuff and really excited about this
matttech
Thanks for the detailed explanation Jason thumbs up
huffnPuff
Sounds very nice. Does the level control drive the filter when fully open?
negativspace
Yeah, it depends a bit on the amplitude you hit the inputs with but it will dirty up a bit. (My fairly low-level Miss10 VCO doesn't do much to it but the hotter Z3000 does.) Haven't had a look at the scope yet to see what's going on exactly, but in testing a batch (with the Z3k) last night I could hear a bit of a texture difference between full-CW and halfway-up on the input pot.

Edit: OK, looking at it a bit closer, it looks like it won't clip until you add resonance - but with a squelchy high-res patch you can definitely push it into a gentle clip at high input levels. (Past ~12:00, which matches up with what I was hearing.)
DonKartofflo
That demo piece was super peaceful, just the right music for this time of the day (night) we're not worthy
windspirit
Looks great grin. Will DIY versions be available at some point?
negativspace
Thanks! And yep - with David's permission there will be a DIY option. It's a half-SMT project so it'll be super easy to build, too.

Thonk should have some PCB/panel sets but none have gone out to anyone else yet. I need to sit down and get some photos of one from a builder's perspective before I really open it up, but a couple of those + a quick BOM ought to suffice. Sorta the modular equivalent of "just add water."

Except don't add water, that could potentially create a number of issues. d'oh!

If you're chomping at the bit to get one built, I'll make sure they're up at my web store for purchase ASAP.
FrogStar
Hi,
This looks so fantastic!
Thanks for offering a DIY.
Does this have any “challenging to find” components, like the dual gang pot on the SVVCF? If so I’ll buy the kit tonight. If not I’ll buy the cob/panel.
Thanks again!
negativspace
Nope, nothing at all fancy in this one aside from the rotary switch. Mouser's showing 47 in stock (#688-SRBV131502) so unless you all go a bit ham on me there should be enough to go around. hihi

Plan B, and I used this one in one of my prototypes so I promise it will work, there's an alternate switch with a shorter shaft (#688-SRBV131803) that's currently out of stock. It looks like it will be restocked literally any day, though, so if/when the others run out, grab one of these.

Dual pots for the SVVCF should be available from our guitar-pedal DIY friends over at Build Your Own Clone. (BYOC) thumbs up
Infrablue
Just saw this thread today. He did such a great job on this filter in every way.

After reading this thread I decided to go wire up a patch and do a video demo.

It's not elegant and gorgeous like Negative Space's (so nice!), but more just pushing some limits clumsily and exploring. 2nd half is totally dry as well.

I'll have it up tomorrow perhaps? I hope.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3