MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

patch cable plug cleaning?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author patch cable plug cleaning?
southphillysynths
I just bought a lot of patch cables that are all pretty oxidized.

What's the best way to clean them up? should I use emery paper something else?
dot matrix madness
Personally I wouldn't use cables where the tips show signs of rust. You might get them cleaned but it's likely that the corrosion continues. Thus you might end up spreading rust into the jacks of modules.
Bodo1967
dot matrix madness wrote:
Personally I wouldn't use cables where the tips show signs of rust.

+1. The only way would be to have the plugs professionally re-galvanized, but that might just be a tiny bit over the top wink hihi .

If you can, return them. Otherwise throw them away or replace the plugs if the cable itself is worth it.
southphillysynths
no signs of rust on them just sort of foggy and dull
Shledge
I use isopropyl alcohol to clean mine - good for getting rid of grease or most contaminants.
fuzzbass
southphillysynths wrote:

This probably still is oxidation, the loss of metal. The only actions that would improve their appearance would in fact remove more metal. Is there a problem with them functionally?
megaohm
southphillysynths wrote:

I get that, too.
Don't throw them out!

I do the same as Shledge -
Clean/wipe with alcohol.
southphillysynths
fuzzbass wrote:
southphillysynths wrote:

This probably still is oxidation, the loss of metal. The only actions that would improve their appearance would in fact remove more metal. Is there a problem with them functionally?

they do work, just are crackly when moved. My shiny erthenvars are not like that at all. I also worry that my jacks will get dirty using these cables.

Not sure if I should bring it up with the seller, I think I can get them clean but its going to take a while to clean 60 cables worth of jacks...
BugBrand
Deoxit D5 is what you want.
southphillysynths
BugBrand wrote:

I use that for everything, will give it a try
BugBrand
southphillysynths wrote:
BugBrand wrote:

I always think that you shouldn't use D5 except on things like jack sockets (metal contacts) - not on pots etc. [slightly thinking someone on SDIY posted some detailed further notes in the last couple of years]

"DeoxIT® D-Series contact cleaner dissolves oxides and sulfides that form on metal surfaces. This restores the contact’s integrity and leaves a thin microscopic layer that protects the metal. Special additives improve conductivity and prevent dissolved oxides from re-attaching, keeping them in suspension and allowing them to be easily dispersed by the mechanical action of the contact."
shootingtigers
I use Servisol super 10, it's a conductive switch lubricant/cleaner for contacts but I'm not an expert so YMMV...
PrimateSynthesis
Any contact cleaner should work. I generally use CRC QD.

Do not use it on live contacts. It's flammable Dead Banana

There are different types of electro and electroless nickel plating. Some are better for plugs than others. I have some modular-brand patch cords with no-name plugs that constantly need cleaning. While my other cords with Neutrik plugs almost never need cleaning.

(And yes you just can't use any contact cleaner on pots. Some will work fine on some pots, but some will damage others. And most contact cleaners don't contain lubricants, making it a two-step process.

Unless you are restoring very dirty pots, and know exactly what you are doing, what you want is "control cleaner".)
GGW
Use some type of electronic contact cleaner as suggested above. D5 is good, I have some stuff named "Super PPE". Get a small cotton ball and spray on it, and then rub and spin the plug in the pad. If they wind up shinny and work fine, you should be good. I wouldn't be throwing them away unless there is apparent rusting.
fuzzbass
southphillysynths wrote:
BugBrand wrote:

+1 for Deoxit D5.

I have a 20 year old Mackie 1604 that had old mixer disease. There was not a single audio path through it that had not gone all flaky. Despite many warnings to the contrary, I gave the thing a bath in Deoxit D5. The problem was entirely with all the rotary pots and tactile switches, which on the Mackie are not sealed. I didn't disassemble the board. I just pulled the knobs off and sprayed the Deoxit right down the shafts or buttons and twiddled them. And .... friggin like NEW! I don't know how long it will last, but for now saved from the junk pile, for the cost of 1/2 can of Deoxit.
ashleym
I "repaired" my hob extractor fan switches with a few doses of Deoxit.

Check your sockets too. Then debate with yourself why you didn't use It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! Rockin' Banana!
southphillysynths
Ended up using blue magic. We use it at the shop I work at to clean guitar frets

worked like a charm! All cables work like new

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Magic-300-Metal-Polish/dp/B002UJ1DD2/ref=p d_lpo_vtph_263_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BJGSZ8Y3JA8TEZ00HTME
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1