MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Prophet rev2 or OB6?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Prophet rev2 or OB6?
orangehexagon
I know these types of posts are annoying but please bear with me.

I'm in a place where I want to downsize the amount of gear I have to something succinct.

Prophet rev2 or OB6?

I demo'ed the OB6 today and I fell in love with the sound and the poly sequencer. I'm in Chicago and for some reason, no one carries the Prophet Rev2... So i can't really demo it in person.

What I want is a powerful poly synth with sophisticated poly sequencing. Not looking to recreate the 80's sound per say. Looking for rich tone to get away from VST's and the hands on sequencing.

Who here has experience with both and can comment honestly on the sonic differences as well as the sequencing differences / modulation differences?

The Prophet rev2 is attractive to me because it's almost half the price of the OB6 (for the 8 voice version), but the OB6 sound really kicked my butt. It also appears to have more modulation options available.

From what I've heard the P08 doesn't have the same girth and brazen sound as the OB6, so I'm curious to know if the rev2 improves upon that?

Additionally, I know the rev2 and OB6 can be triggered externally for the sequencer. Does anyone know that if I trigger it with something not like a steady pulse, as in a more complex rhythmic pattern, does the sequencer jive well with that? Looking to open up the complexity of the poly sequencer.

Also, can I use my Octatrack to send MIDI to either to parameter lock different clock divisions to the arp and sequencer to create ratcheting and such? Based on the manual there is MIDI CC for the clock divider, but I'm curious to know how well it works in a real use case.

Cheers and much appreciated your input. w00t

Help me decide between the two cool

P.S. The type of music I've been making is of the psychedelic variety, lots of poly sequencing, contemporary classical in a sense, with a lot of focus on sound design.

Last note: A friend of my mine offered to sell me his Prophet 08 for $1k, but I'm not entirely sold on it's sonic palette (only based on internet comments). I'm not made of money, it's a bit enticing.
anselmi
orangehexagon wrote:
The Prophet rev2 is attractive to me because it's almost half the price of the OB6 (for the 8 voice version), but the OB6 sound really kicked my butt. It also appears to have more modulation options available.

I´m in the same situation
taste in sound is hard to evaluate, but the OB6 got this immediate charm that you experienced...yes, it´s that good, no tricky games there

the rev2 sounds more clean, clinical, you name it...less full, less warm...can sounds great anyway

about the modulation options and features in general the Rev2 eats the OB6 for breakfast...the rev2 got a full featured modulation matrix, more LFOs, more EGs, and a very complex sequencer

the OB6 modulation options are more at hand but are confined to what you saw in the panel...this gives you a fair amount of nice timbres and sound design possibilities beyond the most classic substractive approach

so for me the OB6 is more immediate in everything, less complex, more centered in tone...the rev2 is more a sound design synth with loads of features and an overall great sound, but lacks the little bit of sonic magic of the OB6...this ultimate wow factor, you know

Quote:
From what I've heard the P08 doesn't have the same girth and brazen sound as the OB6, so I'm curious to know if the rev2 improves upon that?

Dave Smith claims that the 08 patches can be loaded into the rev2 and will sound the same, but I never liked the 08 and I really like the rev2, so I dunno...maybe the fx...or maybe both synths are callibrated in a different way, but for me there is a real audible difference between them
Muse FTW
These are two completely different synthesizers.

One caps out at 6 note polyphony, the other with 8 (or 16 depending on the version).

OB6 has less modulation capabilities than the REV2 by far, but what it lacks in modulation it makes up with its sound. REV2 has its own modulation matrix and 4 LFO's (IIRC). OB6 only has one (or 2 if you sacrifice the second oscillator).

Both have poly sequencers, but the REV2 also has another sequencer mode where you can change parameters per-step.

I have a Prophet 6 (similar to the OB6) and a Prophet 08 (similar to the REV2).

The Prophet 6 is my workhorse and my favorite synth, but it doesn't have as wide of a sonic palette as the P08. While the P08 can get warm, it won't get as warm and thick as the P6 IMO. The same comparison holds true with the OB6 and the REV2.
Ambientdreaming
I had an OB6 and it sounds lovely to me. It does have less modulation options than the REV2 but man it sounds so lush because of that filter.

I have never played a REV2 but you should also play it live to see if you like the sound.

Both great synths.
orangehexagon
Thanks for the insightful replies.

I was thinking that if I were to get the OB6, I could use the Octatrack to send MIDI to the OB6 for additional LFO's and parameter locked sequences.

I think I might be trying to justify the price of the OB6 to myself here and I should just get that haha
orangehexagon
Has anyone been using the OT with the OB6?

I imagine they would pair well together, but curious about real-world and hands-on experiences.
Ambientdreaming
I am a big fan of the Octatrack and you can use it for additional options with the OB6, like the LFOs and the trig conditions as well.
orangehexagon
Ambientdreaming wrote:
I am a big fan of the Octatrack and you can use it for additional options with the OB6, like the LFOs and the trig conditions as well.

But have you used it with the OB6?
orangehexagon
Muse FTW wrote:
These are two completely different synthesizers.

One caps out at 6 note polyphony, the other with 8 (or 16 depending on the version).

OB6 has less modulation capabilities than the REV2 by far, but what it lacks in modulation it makes up with its sound. REV2 has its own modulation matrix and 4 LFO's (IIRC). OB6 only has one (or 2 if you sacrifice the second oscillator).

Both have poly sequencers, but the REV2 also has another sequencer mode where you can change parameters per-step.

I have a Prophet 6 (similar to the OB6) and a Prophet 08 (similar to the REV2).

The Prophet 6 is my workhorse and my favorite synth, but it doesn't have as wide of a sonic palette as the P08. While the P08 can get warm, it won't get as warm and thick as the P6 IMO. The same comparison holds true with the OB6 and the REV2.

Thanks for the input. Most of what you said, I already described in my post. I'm aware they're different beasts, but at the end of the day they're both analog poly synths with powerful feature sets and sounds... so not that wildly different.
Ambientdreaming
orangehexagon wrote:
Ambientdreaming wrote:

But have you used it with the OB6?

I did not but it would be an amazing powerhouse for the OB6 Desktop, unless you're into playing the keys as well. I think it helps make up for some features the OB6 is missing like the powerful Elektron sequencer, more effects, LFOs and those trig conditions.
dequalsrxt
orangehexagon wrote:
Additionally, I know the rev2 and OB6 can be triggered externally for the sequencer. Does anyone know that if I trigger it with something not like a steady pulse, as in a more complex rhythmic pattern, does the sequencer jive well with that? Looking to open up the complexity of the poly sequencer.

With respect to the rev2 - yes, and the gated sequencers also respond to external gates. But it does want gates to open the envelopes. (I'm guessing the ob6 poly sequencer works the same.) This is what sold me on the rev2, it's super cool - not something you could easily replicate with other gear. I'm only a week in on the rev2 though. I swear I had some issue with it not responding consistently to incoming gates, but it's not something I've replicated since and has otherwise been lock solid. I've been feeding it gates my modular and sh-101. Ya know, I have not tested yet if the lfos respond to gates at all, or if they only lock to midi bpm. Note that the sequencers do not send midi out.

I wanted a p6 or an ob6 because they always sounds great in the store, but I picked up a rev2 on an impulse buy. I think it was a better decision for me. I feel like if I had [another thousand dollars] the p6 or ob6, maybe I'd turn them on, play a chord and be like wow, awesome and then not know what to do with them. I also feel like they might bully my other gear. With the rev2, it doesn't have that instant wow factor, but then I patch it how I want and it sounds great and plays well with others.
orangehexagon
dequalsrxt wrote:
orangehexagon wrote:

With respect to the rev2 - yes, and the gated sequencers also respond to external gates. But it does want gates to open the envelopes. (I'm guessing the ob6 poly sequencer works the same.) This is what sold me on the rev2, it's super cool - not something you could easily replicate with other gear. I'm only a week in on the rev2 though. I swear I had some issue with it not responding consistently to incoming gates, but it's not something I've replicated since and has otherwise been lock solid. I've been feeding it gates my modular and sh-101. Ya know, I have not tested yet if the lfos respond to gates at all, or if they only lock to midi bpm. Note that the sequencers do not send midi out.

I wanted a p6 or an ob6 because they always sounds great in the store, but I picked up a rev2 on an impulse buy. I think it was a better decision for me. I feel like if I had [another thousand dollars] the p6 or ob6, maybe I'd turn them on, play a chord and be like wow, awesome and then not know what to do with them. I also feel like they might bully my other gear. With the rev2, it doesn't have that instant wow factor, but then I patch it how I want and it sounds great and plays well with others.

thanks for the input!
dequalsrxt
Sure thing, it's a topic that's been on my mind. Oh, something else that should be mentioned about the rev2 is that you can't use the poly sequencer and gated sequencers at the same time.
dubonaire
Have you looked at the DSI Comparison Chart?
umma gumma
I would lean towards an OB6 desktop, and then use a 61 key controller with it

what I really want is an OB12 or OB16, but with more modulation possibilities & another LFO...or two
Sinamsis
I had a Rev 2 and own a Prophet 6. Also own a Prophet 12. The Rev 2 blows the Prophet 6 (and OB6) away in terms of mod options. There's no comparison. Also, the gated step sequencer (four of them actually) in the Rev 2 are incredibly powerful, as alluded to above. Programming in slight variations per step is awesome. In the end I got rid of it, because I didn't have space and I wanted to get the keyed version of the Prophet 12 back. When using the analog waveforms the Prophet 12 got pretty damn close to the Rev 2 (I couldn't really notice the difference honestly). The waveform modulation sounds identical to me. The Prophet 12 does lack the gated step sequencer which bums me out. But the built in analog distortion, tuned feedback and delay did it for me. Also the slewing of LFOs and the linear/exponential FM options on the Prophet 12 were a big plus.

The core sound of the Prophet 6 is wonderful. But the modulation choices are so profoundly limited compared to both the Rev 2 and Prophet 12. It's really nice for simpler sounds. But when it comes to really complex modulations... that's just not possible. Honestly, to my ear, when I get into really complex patches I start to lose any appreciation for VCO, DCO whatever.

The other thing to consider is voice count, which really does make a difference with long release times and stacked sounds (which the P6/OB6 can't do).

In terms of responding to CCs, I was just playing around with the Prophet 6 and DT the other day and it was fantastic. The other cool thing is that the DSI synths switch presets VERY quickly, so you can do some P locked program changes. I'm not sure if the P6/OB6 are any different in that respect, but I do find they're pretty snappy to change programs.
orangehexagon
Sinamsis wrote:

In terms of responding to CCs, I was just playing around with the Prophet 6 and DT the other day and it was fantastic. The other cool thing is that the DSI synths switch presets VERY quickly, so you can do some P locked program changes. I'm not sure if the P6/OB6 are any different in that respect, but I do find they're pretty snappy to change programs.

Awesome! that's the kinda stuff I love to hear
dubonaire
orangehexagon wrote:
Sinamsis wrote:

Awesome! that's the kinda stuff I love to hear

On this forum I don't think you will find a more experienced or balanced DSI user than Sinamsis. I rate his advice.
Sinamsis
dubonaire
Ha, thank you. I'm a junky. I find they make wonderful stuff, and despite a few hiccups (Tempest OS, encoder problems) their customer service is amazing. I really have tried to distill my DSI synths down to the bare minimum as I find variety both in UI/workflow and in sound engine/etc are more ideal for me. I think that's the one negative thing I would say about DSI stuff. It's a pretty comprehensive collection, but the synths are mostly similar in workflow and while the they do sound different, there is a lot of sonic overlap from time to time. So you just have to really look closely at the feature set of each instrument and find what's best for you. I've tried to collect them all. Ha, unless you're independently wealthy, it's not worth it. You won't end up with a dud no matter what you choose.

If you're looking at an OB6 and Rev 2 you're comparing apples and oranges. Take a long hard look at what features you value and decide based on that. If you're looking for complex sound design though, which is what I favor, the Rev 2 or Prophet 12 really just have so many more features. I could spend hours at my modular making weird sounds, but when I'm sitting in front of one of these synths, I don't feel significantly limited despite the fixed architecture.
Sinamsis
Oh and regarding P '08 and Rev 2.... I've owned both... I think the best value is the Rev 2, and $1000 seems a little steep for a P '08. I think I sold mine for $900 when the Rev 2 was announced. In hindsight, I'm guessing they've tuned the LPF of the Rev 2 closer to the P12 than the P 08. I don't find them all that different, though people seem to think the Rev 2 has a more pleasing sound. To me it has that characteristic Curtis filter sound, which I love. The added features of wave shape modulation on all waveforms, sub oscillator, and the option of eventually upgrading to twice the voices without having to buy a whole other synth were well worth the upgrade to me. A 16 voice analog poly is nothing to sneeze at. If you're tight on cash get an 8 voice desktop Rev 2 and upgrade it when you have the chance, if you care to do so. I personally didn't use the FX section of the Rev 2, but the addition of a digital HPF is nice.

As an aside, if you're looking to sequence with the OT, at least the Rev 2/P08/P12 have two layers that can be independently sequenced. OB6 and P6 only have one layer.

Bottom line, any instrument you choose will be whatever you make of it. Some may offer you more tools than others. 3 envelopes and 4 LFOs are pretty great though for evolving textures, pad type stuff, longer notes/slower playing, etc. I find if you're playing mostly quicker sequences, with short decay times, the extra mod options kind of lose their impact.

Oh and as a total aside, I've come to the conclusion that I don't really love state variable filters. I'd much rather have an LPF and HPF. That was the main deciding factor for me between the Prophet 6 and OB6. I often think we make this massive distinctions between this synth or that synth. While most have some degree of characteristic sound to them, there really are only so many variations to a LPF and triangle, square and sawtooth waves. Past that, it's the extra features and what you do with them that make a difference.
GuyaGuy
For me, the big draw of the Rev2 and the rest of that line is the modulation--both via the 8x modulation matrix and LFOs as well as via the 16x4 step sequencers. They provide all sorts of near-modular possibilities that you can't even find on most digital synths. Feature-wise it's where it's at. But if you're after a specific Oberheim sound it may not deliver it.
dkcg
Sinamsis wrote:
Oh and regarding P '08 and Rev 2.... I've owned both... I think the best value is the Rev 2, and $1000 seems a little steep for a P '08. I think I sold mine for $900 when the Rev 2 was announced.

I saw one posted and sold within an hour for $650 (desktop version). I think it was Reverb, but it could have been ebay. P8keys might be worth $1000, maybe slightly more, but not much.

With the Rev2 out, I think $1000 is a little high. I was looking at P8's when I saw a open box Rev2 8voice for $1030 shipped. Got it, it was even listed as used, but I haven't found a thing out of place on it. Even the manual was still taped to the bottom of the box.
Sinamsis
GuyaGuy wrote:
For me, the big draw of the Rev2 and the rest of that line is the modulation--both via the 8x modulation matrix and LFOs as well as via the 16x4 step sequencers. They provide all sorts of near-modular possibilities that you can't even find on most digital synths. Feature-wise it's where it's at. But if you're after a specific Oberheim sound it may not deliver it.

Unless it’s the OB Matrix 6 sound you’re after. Haha. In 12 dB mode it gets pretty close.
Gribs
I have a P’08 PE rack mount, a P’12, and a Pro-2.

My ideal combo would be the Pro-2 engine with the dual filter structure and modulation sequencer in 12 voices (or even 8). I would pay the extra money for this for sure.

If you don’t care about polyphony then get the Pro-2. In my opinion the total engine as a package is the best of all of Dave Smith’s designs. I think it is sad that he has not expanded it to more voices.

If you absolutely must have the mod sequencer with polyphony then get the Rev-2.

If you don’t care about the mod sequencer get the P’12. With the tuned feedback and distortion, wave morphing, FM, and various oscillator effects, I think the P-12 is a much better core sound design synth. You really are not missing anything with its hybrid design.
Sinamsis
Gribs wrote:
I have a P’08 PE rack mount, a P’12, and a Pro-2.

My ideal combo would be the Pro-2 engine with the dual filter structure and modulation sequencer in 12 voices (or even 8). I would pay the extra money for this for sure.

If you don’t care about polyphony then get the Pro-2. In my opinion the total engine as a package is the best of all of Dave Smith’s designs. I think it is sad that he has not expanded it to more voices.

If you absolutely must have the mod sequencer with polyphony then get the Rev-2.

If you don’t care about the mod sequencer get the P’12. With the tuned feedback and distortion, wave morphing, FM, and various oscillator effects, I think the P-12 is a much better core sound design synth. You really are not missing anything with its hybrid design.

Dude, you just said in a few sentences what it took me many paragraphs to not adequately express. Ha, well done. I completely agree that if they made a 12 voice Pro2 I would find a way to buy it, regardless of the price (ha, within reason of course). Even if they put that filter set on the Prophet 12, I'd switch out my P12 in a heart beat (that said, I might snag a Rev 2 again if I did that). Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw that one day. Maybe not 12 voices, but more polyphony out of the Pro 2. It would approach Andromeda territory.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3