MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SCI Pro One Clone - Now with preliminary panel design!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author SCI Pro One Clone - Now with preliminary panel design!
home_listening

Hello All,

I had previously posted this in the SDIY facebook group but things are getting to the point where I thought it would be nice to have a thread over here.

Monosynth is an analog synthesizer voice built around CEM integrated circuits. It is more or less (more) a clone of a classic American monosynth produced from 1981 to 1984. The CEM chips have recently been reissued by a number of sources, sparking a number of similar projects.

It fits into a 7" x 17" Bud enclosure a la Serge/Easel, since it is fairly thin you can get away with a 2" depth unit.

Some slight changes were made from the original:

-No Keyboard
-No Sequencer
-Mike Sims style VCA on output rather than CA3280 based.
-Mod wheel is now joystick, which is an attenuverter for + and - modulation.
-Filter envelope to filter is an attenuverter too, I like negative envelope mod.
-Balanced output

The whole thing runs off an 15V AC plugpack so no mains wiring is required. As you can tell from the glamour shots I posted I'm still missing two switches before I can spit out some audio for you, but this is my second revision PCB so I'm hoping all issues were caught in the prototype.

The current synth (with blank white panel) is about to go of to a graphic designer capable of making it look much nicer than I can. I chose a white theme for this particular unit because it reminded me of a blank piece of paper or a whiteboard and thought that would be a nice to design the graphics around. There are no plans to release any acrylic panels, the final unit will be aluminium with a silkscreen. It will not pay any homage to the graphics found on the original unit as I hate black synthesizers.

I am planning on selling these at some point, if Chinese New Year doesn't jerk me around too much it should be the start of March. I will only be selling full sets of:

-PCB
-Front Panel
-Joystick
-All required CEM chips (Alfa Rpar)

Should be close to a 1 click mouser purchase to finish off the parts.

Let me know what you think!

----EDIT---- Preliminary Panel Design Uploaded
lasesentaysiete
cool! I'd be interested in a pcb/panel combo.

Unfortunately(?), I'm not really a vintage synth connaisseur. Which synth is it?
home_listening
Pro One
mqmq
Any sound demos ?
pre55ure
Wow,
I really really shouldn't even be thinking of signing up for any more projects. But I've always wanted a P1.
Will be watching to see what the front panel looks like.
duff
Watching with interest.
autodafe
looks nice. Sounds??
Isaiah
home_listening wrote:

As you can tell from the glamour shots I posted I'm still missing two switches before I can spit out some audio for you, but this is my second revision PCB so I'm hoping all issues were caught in the prototype.
Eric the Red
This is beautiful - can’t wait to see/hear more!
jersupereq
applause
mome rath
very nice; watching topic
dogoftears
beautiful, my favorite classic monosynth.
jimfowler
sign me up.
basicbasic
Count me interested! SlayerBadger!
letness
Also interested, despite my current backlog. Very much looking forward to demos.
HerrX
Definitely interested, a rack P1 is number one on my wish list. It looks great, love the joystick applause
4floorsofwhores
very interested. nice work
JanneI
Nice! I'll buy one!
realitycontrol
Looks good at this stage! Nice job.
TitoCas
looks very interesting! Looking forward for see how much i will cost, and how the panel will turn. Is the cat included?

applause
tobb
home_listening wrote:

Let me know what you think!

nice but why not using the AS3360 for the VCA?
folpon
What a fun project. Count me in. smile
mbroers
just when i think im almost done DIYing i visit muffs and you pull me back in. great project - pro one is my favorite monosynth, very excited to hear demos - count me in for a kit.

im excited to see the final panel, watching and waiting!
csaban
Definitely interested!

A big thumbs up for through hole!
Altitude909
yay!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3