MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Bitwig 2.3 !
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Bitwig 2.3 !
KaOsphere
https://www.bitwig.com/en/18/bitwig-studio-2_3.html

Do not have time to apply for beta testing but seems to be a nice update.

Now, is it going to be released before my sub expires... seriously, i just don't get it

[EDIT : Yes it has been confirmed that this update will be free for everyone ! ]
PatrickW
This update solves for me the only real thing that I missed after my shift from Ableton to Bitwig : better pitchshifting algorithms.
I'm extremely happy I moved over to Bitwig 5 months ago.
Now that I see what Ableton 10 is going to offer, I'm even more happy.
About every novelty in Ableton 10 is already old news in Bitwig 2.2.
digidandy
But still no Audiounit support. :(
PatrickW
digidandy wrote:
But still no Audiounit support. :(

When I switched to Bitwig, I thought I would miss the AU support.
It turned out I did not.
Every "serious" plugin has a VST version and the VST format seems more flexible than the AU format.

What I still miss though, is the "freeze" functionality, preferably the way it is done in Reaper.
The "Bounce" function that is now in Bitwig is a not that powerful.
droningsphagettimonster
I tried it today and it was cool until i realized, unless im mistaken and thats what im hoping, that there is no way to step record midi notes from keyboards nor mute midi data tracks. Seriously, how can you guys work pass not having the midi muted to all your hardware? Those features are absolutely crucial. zombie
PatrickW
droningsphagettimonster wrote:
I tried it today and it was cool until i realized, unless im mistaken and thats what im hoping, that there is no way to step record midi notes from keyboards nor mute midi data tracks. Seriously, how can you guys work pass not having the midi muted to all your hardware? Those features are absolutely crucial. zombie

I don't know about the keyboard step recording, since I never used that way of recording.

Concerning the muting of midi to external synths, I simply deactivate the HW plugin of the track to mute it with a shortcut.
There are probably some other ways to do it, but it works just fine for me this way.
KaOsphere
You can mute midi datas with a right click or you can use a note receiver on the track to mute/unmute tarck midi datas or other midi sources for the track... Is that waht your looking for ?

For step recording, I have to admit I use step sequencers...
droningsphagettimonster
thanks for the tips, its big help! i was just kinda shocked to realise that those standard features that I use all the time in reaper not accessable in the way i'm used to. after couple of days, the bitwig environment has almost become second nature. its much more fun than reaper, thats for sure!
PatrickW
thanks for the tips, its big help! i was just kinda shocked to realise that those standard features that I use all the time in reaper not accessable in the way i'm used to. after couple of days, the bitwig environment has almost become second nature. its much more fun than reaper, thats for sure!

I'm using Bitwig for exactly 3 months and I'm only now starting to grasp how powerful Bitwig really is.
The way how the controls are build in and can control about anything, including every CC parameter of an external synth and even CV equipment ...
It is implemented in a really clever and elegant way.
If I need an extra LFO or ENV on an external synth, it's only a few clicks away.
And the way you can route audio and midi from about everywhere to about everywhere is really powerful.
In Ableton, I had a lot of frustrations when I wanted to get audio from a certain point in the chain and send that to somewhere else.
The only way I found was to split the chain in two or more tracks, which made the whole project one big mess after a while.

The biggest challenge for me was to get my eyes used to the layout.
At first, I found it overwhelming.
But after a while, I found out the logic behind it and it all started to make sense.
beliefsystemrecords
updated to 2.3 now. it still feels unfinished to me. they really really need to improve the piano roll. almost every other daw allows for drag painting notes except bitwig it seems. it makes working extremey slow and frustrating.
droningsphagettimonster
after couple of days i'm unable to go back to reaper. i hated the mouse system first but now its much more smooth than reaper. making music on the computer is just as fun as with hardware now. hyper

i find the piano roll to be actually pretty handy, being able to pre-quantize live recordings and make fine adjustments afterwards is not so bad. you've got couple of mouse tools in bitwig. can't say the reaper paino roll is under any circumstance better than bitwigs at least, except the step recording function, but i'm sure bitwig will add that later. there are indeed some features still missing, but than, there are some clever workarounds.

its still a young daw, but seems to have gone such a long way in just few years, and so many happy users now, my hopes are high!

does anyone recommend a proper midi controller with a good script for bitwig? macshine jam seems to be it, but its missing knobs, i'd like pads and knobs, not just pads....
poppinger
My "update subscription" or whatever it is they changed it to just expired. I love Bitwig - it's my primary DAW and the modulator system is really quite useful.

Honestly, I really don't want any more synths or effects or touchscreen features or anything at all apart from the whole fully integrated modular system they teased from the start. I think I'm going to hold off on reupping until that is actually implemented. Maybe they'll get to it in version 3. Or version 5. Either way, I will have a DAW that I click with whether they add that feature or not.
poppinger
does anyone recommend a proper midi controller with a good script for bitwig? macshine jam seems to be it, but its missing knobs, i'd like pads and knobs, not just pads....

I think there's a pretty well specified Push for Bitwig script floating around if the Push hardware floats your goats.
SB-SIX
What would you be able to do with the full modular system as opposed to what can be done now?
poppinger
SB-SIX wrote:
What would you be able to do with the full modular system as opposed to what can be done now?

Well, I think building a synth was one thing that appeared in the pre-beta teaser video that you can't really do now.

The modulator system as it exists now is pretty powerful, so the answer is "not much more" to be fair, but the interface behind it would make so much more sense if you had something fully patchable rather than having to bus control voltage signals around between channels. There are ideas I've had that I've not bothered trying out because I wasn't sure the results would be worth the hassle of setting up Audio Receivers everywhere.

I'm not excited about their new instrument Phase-4 or something like Treemonster because those are the sorts of instruments and effects they implied you could build yourself. I already have good instruments and effects, and I don't need those from a DAW.

What I want out of a DAW is new and interesting ways of making the instruments and effects I already have interact with each other. A modular system helps with that. Phase-4 and new effects don't. The thing that redeemed 2.3 for me was additional modulators, so maybe if they add some more interesting ones I might be tempted, but otherwise I will be 100% happy and content with Bitwig as it is until they add something that seems worth the money for another subscription. I guess I'd rather see what I'm buying for my money rather than hope and pray that development goes in a direction that excites me. Downfall of going to a subscription-style system I guess.

Feel free to mark this thread and laugh at me when I come crawling back after they add something cool in the next big update. hihi
KaOsphere
poppinger wrote:
My "update subscription" or whatever it is they changed it to just expired. [...] I think I'm going to hold off on reupping until that is actually implemented.

Same boat here, I'm happy with what I have. I'll get a new sub when something sexy will show up...actually I'm hoping for something that gets rid of tracks...Mhh..Errr...Modular.... smile

Regarding controllers, I've been very staisfied by Nektar panorama P1 integration in bitwig...Feels a little plactic on the build side, but you get what you pay for. Used along a Komplete Kontrol s61 mkI and more recently a Touché.
blacklight
The more time goes on the more I am starting to consider bitwig as a daw, (currently on ableton 10), never really liked max fore live, I am much better at building reaktor stuff If I do need to. The whole modulation prospect seems nice, is there anything like a DC offset that I can directly output to my ES-3?

From what I read the fundamentals are pretty solid, how is version support with frequent updates? do the old files break?
poppinger
blacklight wrote:
The whole modulation prospect seems nice, is there anything like a DC offset that I can directly output to my ES-3?

Yeah they do. There's a 1v/oct oscillator calibration device similar to the Silent Way voice module and a CV out (which is just a DC offset.)

danielrdehaan did a video covering the basics here:

Regarding file versions - I've never had issues opening old projects.
droningsphagettimonster
felt like turning back to say: bitwig is off the hook. its already boosting my productivity levels so much. hyper hyper hyper
PatrickW
felt like turning back to say: bitwig is off the hook. its already boosting my productivity levels so much. hyper hyper hyper

Same feeling here love
droningsphagettimonster
I just came by this on the internet, but I've aint got Reddit account, so I couldn't ask there. Does anybody know how to install those devices? I've managed to download them but those are not the same files ar VSTs (.dll if I recall right, those are .bwpreset). https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitwig/comments/83ohuj/this_guy_made_some_fan tastic_bitwig_devices_and/

I REALLY want that saturator. Do those work just as well as the other devices? eek!
timc3
I just came by this on the internet, but I've aint got Reddit account, so I couldn't ask there. Does anybody know how to install those devices? I've managed to download them but those are not the same files ar VSTs (.dll if I recall right, those are .bwpreset). https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitwig/comments/83ohuj/this_guy_made_some_fan tastic_bitwig_devices_and/

I REALLY want that saturator. Do those work just as well as the other devices? eek!

Thanks for reminding me to play with them, but to answer your question on a Mac you put them in ~/Documents/Bitwig Studio/Library/Presets/

(I used Git to actually clone the repo but you can just download if you want to)

I am not sure on Windows or Linux because I don't have BitWig installed on those (I should try one day as I actually have Windows and Linux boxes) but it would be a similar place.
droningsphagettimonster
timc3 wrote:

Thanks for reminding me to play with them, but to answer your question on a Mac you put them in ~/Documents/Bitwig Studio/Library/Presets/

(I used Git to actually clone the repo but you can just download if you want to)

I am not sure on Windows or Linux because I don't have BitWig installed on those (I should try one day as I actually have Windows and Linux boxes) but it would be a similar place.

Thanks alot! But I happen to be a windows user. hihi
timc3

try: C:\Users\(your user name)\Documents\Bitwig Studio\Library
droningsphagettimonster
timc3 wrote:

try: C:\Users\(your user name)\Documents\Bitwig Studio\Library

thanks alot! i'll give it a go after i install 2.3.2 today. thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]