MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How can i clock slave a Verbos Voltage Multistage?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author How can i clock slave a Verbos Voltage Multistage?
FatRocky
Hi
How can i clock slave a Verbos Voltage Multistage that has different stage times?

i mean im using the b sequence cv to set different stage time for the a sequence via TIME CV (some sort of funky bass) and want to slave to a stable clock from modular or midi gear so it can play in sync with some beats

Do i need the Verbos Sequence Selector for that?
luketeaford
Stop the internal clock and send the external clock into the Advance input. Then when you modulate time with Row B, you are changing the duty cycle of the gate which changes the shape of the envelope you get from ref out (which is a falling ramp wave for some fraction of duty cycle.
stickmann
Does the Multistage ignore a trigger from the Advance input if the Ref output is still high or something? I was under the impression that the idea of the Advance input was to immediately advance to the next stage.
luketeaford
stickmann wrote:
Does the Multistage ignore a trigger from the Advance input if the Ref output is still high or something? I was under the impression that the idea of the Advance input was to immediately advance to the next stage.

That is what happens -- advance moves the clock but the time input is separate from the clock. It appears to be used for the internal slewing so when clocked externally TIME still controls the slide and ref rates.

If you want to slow the external CLOCK down with the VMS time input, there's no way to do that (but you could use a row of CV to modulate the external clock).
stickmann
I've been thinking about if this is possible without an overly complicated patch but I'm not able to come up with a solution to maintaining the rhythm generated by modifying TIME using CV B outputs without an involved process.

You would probably have to use the REF output and some logic / comparator that is mixed with the clock you want to sync to. You want the VMS to ADVANCE to the next step if the REF output is low and you receive a trigger from the sync clock. The tricky part is that you also need to make sure that the VMS stays synced up when the REF output is low, so you would have to wait for the next trigger from the sync clock.

I think an easier path might be to take your main sync clock and divide it so that you guarantee the longest stage (longest REF decay envelope output) never completely finishes. This would guarantee that the sequence advances with short stages via the internal VMS clock but will remain in sync by triggering the stage to advance if the stage would go out of sync. So, for example, if you had a standard 4/4 beat and your sync clock sends out 16th note triggers as the clock, then divide it by four so you only get a clock sync on every down beat. You still have some play between each downbeat while maintaining sync by advancing the VMS stage with your main clock. It isn't perfect but I think you could take an improv sequence and get it to sync up this way without losing the rhythm you generated with TIME / CV B.

I'm just throwing out a few ideas, I can't say for sure if either of these would really work.
luketeaford
stickmann wrote:
I think an easier path might be to take your main sync clock and divide it so that you guarantee the longest stage (longest REF decay envelope output) never completely finishes.

I'm playing with that now -- it sounds nice, but I think you can do the same thing (depending on the range of your tempos) just with the VMS tempo control.

Another option is to run the VMS and put the clock you want to sync it to in the ENABLE input. This makes the VMS move forward according to its own temp but only when the master clock is high.
FatRocky
i think i got something !
The suggested methods above didnĀ“t work

but instead of sending master clock to ADVANCE INPUT, i sent only a division of it for the START INPUT and and used the individual 8th STAGE OUTPUT to trigger the STOP INPUT,,, then the VMS sequence starts with the master clock division (like a reset) and stops when the sequence ends. The internal clock is independent from the External Master Clock, but i adjust the TIME control and the individual step lenght (via TIME cv ) to match the external master clock and other slaved sequences in a musical sense.
Not the most optimal thing but it reminded me of my old Korg SQ10

CV goes to quantizer of course

Cheers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1