MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sequencing ideas for Mother 32 and 0-Coast please
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Sequencing ideas for Mother 32 and 0-Coast please
Righty
Hello. I got a lot of great help and ideas on patching the Mother 32 and 0-Coast and am going nuts trying and discovering things. However, I am coming up short creatively on what to do with the two in terms of sequencing. I also have a Korg SQ-1 so you would THINK I could come up with something neat, but I am not. Suffering from a sequencer block you might say.

if you have time, anyone have some ideas on how I might do some interesting things in terms of using the Mother 32 sequencer with the 0-Coast short of both playing the same thing. Then, what would be some interesting ways to bring in the SQ-1?

P.S. While I have Logic and Ableton, I want to keep the DAWS out of this for now. Not there is anything wrong with them, just want to learn more about the hardware and what it can do.
eltrasgu
feel like that a lot of time with the sq-1 or the 303... I also have a machinedrum so you can imagine.

A couple of years ago I decided that I wanted a fancy sequencer like a rene or metropolis... Ended almost buying a dark time before buying other stuff (machinedrum for example) and than went for a sq1. I don't regret it but I think that I need something else more complex, not exactly those examples I gave. At the moment I am looking to the shaktmat knights gallop and other clock/trig options.

I need a sampler and I need a better sequencer so I want a octatrack, I was all the time giving excuses that I can have a cheaper and better sampler, I looked to all the akai stuff and actually all the big brands but I still can't find a better answer.

So, is it something like the octatrack, digitakt and maybe AR the best options for a sequencer to all purposes? I'm missing too much modules?
My point is that a sq-1 and a lot of modules are better options when we already have a more versatile sequencer.
charliejones
Beatstep Pro?
Righty
Appreciate the gear tips, and you can bet I am thinking "Oh I just need a Rene or Metropolis," but am really looking for ideas on what I can do sequencing wise with a Mother 32, 0-Coast and SQ-1.

For example, I set up a sequence with the Mother playing some repetitive sequence, then have the SQ-1 play a sequence into the 0-Coast and the M32 is synced to the SQ-1 clock. With this maybe I try odd number sequences in one or the other or both and see what happens in a pseudo-random kind of thing.

Or, I'll set up the 0-Coast do some random thing along with a sequence with the Mother (Haven't figures out how to do random with the Mother yet, but I understand that is possible).

I guess this is weird. Almost asking to help me find some approach that will help me be more creative, when I should probably just experiment more. I'm just sort of hitting a wall inspiration wise.
Righty
Edit. I actually did something I like. Maybe a little original. I'm a jazz guy so I set up a number of walking swingy bass line sequences in the Mother. Then I used the SQ-1 to sequence the 0-Coast, but in a random pattern and then started with all but one or two gates on. Added gates and then took some away, slide and the effect was some kind of machine insane interpretation of a avante garde bepop solo over the bass lines. Oh, I cheated a bit. Added some jazzy sort of drum loops from Ableton. On top of that I tried a number of patches with the 0-Coast and or using the Mother 32 LFO patch out to modulate different things in the 0-Coast.

I guess my little funk is over since I did something I ended up liking. For probably the first time I was "jamming" with my semi mods and wiggling at the same time.
soundshaper
I have a hard time with step sequencers. When I try to program sequences into the Mother-32, it feels like I have my hands tied behind my back. It’s pretty cryptic. I can hum exactly what I want and can immediately play it on my keyboards, so that’s usually what I end up doing; using a real-time recorded sequence in Ableton or my iPad.
drainyoo
Another thing to try is you sequence one, and play the other one with a MIDI keyboard. Or sequence them both, but each using different timing, for example one at 1/4 and the other faster at 1/16.
Righty
soundshaper wrote:
I have a hard time with step sequencers. When I try to program sequences into the Mother-32, it feels like I have my hands tied behind my back. It’s pretty cryptic. I can hum exactly what I want and can immediately play it on my keyboards, so that’s usually what I end up doing; using a real-time recorded sequence in Ableton or my iPad.

Oh I hear you, there are limitations. I'm just trying to work within those limitations. This may seem stupid and obvious, but I have a keyboard controller and via midi can easily play my notes into the Mother 32 when it is keyboard mode. It is a much easier way to get your ideas into it.
Righty
drainyoo wrote:
Another thing to try is you sequence one, and play the other one with a MIDI keyboard. Or sequence them both, but each using different timing, for example one at 1/4 and the other faster at 1/16.

Thanks! Yes, this is the kind of thing I am trying and can lead to interesting things. I am trying to "pay my dues" and do as much as I can with what I have before I go buy a Metropolis, Rene or who knows what. At the same time when I do I may look back and say to myself, why the heck did you wait so long you moron? I REALLY want to do more with randomness and manipulating sequences in every way imaginable. Even so, I do think bumping up intol walls with my current stuff will help me understand what it is I really want/need.
Righty
I might be posting to myself, but I'm used to it!

While the Mother 32 or SQ-1, even together, might not approach a Rene, Sequencer 1, Metropolis... I continue to plug away and you can do some interesting things with them. Though a little insane, you can have the Mother 32 sequencer play while it receives CV and Gate from the SQ-1. Also, am using the 0-Coast random out to the SQ-1 sync in (while it is triggering the 0-Coast and Mother 32 as listed above). The effect is similar to "long hair" experimental music. I do like the slide on the SQ-1 and it and the 0-Coast can do some neat things - with cycle on and EOC or Slope patched to TIME, plus overtone and multiple way up, the 0-Coast will let out these random almost crazy avant garde saxophone type blasts on any note with set with a slide on the SQ-1.

All this is pointing me to a sequencer with randomness and multiple channels, perhaps like the Harvestman Stillson Hammer mkII? Or am I missing something on other sequencers? Maybe it is point me to having two or more sequencers?
electricanada
Righty wrote:
I might be posting to myself, but I'm used to it!

While the Mother 32 or SQ-1, even together, might not approach a Rene, Sequencer 1, Metropolis... I continue to plug away and you can do some interesting things with them. Though a little insane, you can have the Mother 32 sequencer play while it receives CV and Gate from the SQ-1. Also, am using the 0-Coast random out to the SQ-1 sync in (while it is triggering the 0-Coast and Mother 32 as listed above). The effect is similar to "long hair" experimental music. I do like the slide on the SQ-1 and it and the 0-Coast can do some neat things - with cycle on and EOC or Slope patched to TIME, plus overtone and multiple way up, the 0-Coast will let out these random almost crazy avant garde saxophone type blasts on any note with set with a slide on the SQ-1.

Post some clips.

Do either of your sequencers have cv input? Try patching the output of an envelope or lfo in there.
piearesquared
I use the 0-Coast and SQ-1 together all the time, and while sometimes it gets frustrating given that you have a maximum of 16 steps (32 if you play the sequences back and forth, I guess), you can come up with a lot of ideas with that combo, here are some things I use when I am trying to come up with something new:
    - Cycle the slope section, patch EOC > SQ-1's sync input (that way you can make the SQ-1 go much slower or much faster pretty easily), tap a tempo on the 0-Coast and patch Random out > Slope circuit's time that way the SQ-1's tempo varies randomly
    - Use step jump, honestly love that feature and you can play some interesting melodies on the 0-Coast that way by holding a step then letting the sequence play a bit, hold it again...etc
    - Let the SQ-1's channel A sequence the melody while channel B sequences the OVRTN/MLTPLY circuit for some movement, less monotony
    - Build long sequences and then play little sections of them, building up to the full thing using the SQ-1 active step feature.

Sorry couldn't be of much help on the M32 front as I don't have one.

Here are a couple of videos where I use some of these techniques:

Righty
electricanada wrote:

Post some clips.

Do either of your sequencers have cv input? Try patching the output of an envelope or lfo in there.

Too shy for clips!

I have been patching the lfo and envelope of the M32 to the 0-Coast - fun!
Righty
piearesquared wrote:
I use the 0-Coast and SQ-1 together all the time, and while sometimes it gets frustrating given that you have a maximum of 16 steps (32 if you play the sequences back and forth, I guess), you can come up with a lot of ideas with that combo, here are some things I use when I am trying to come up with something new:
    - Cycle the slope section, patch EOC > SQ-1's sync input (that way you can make the SQ-1 go much slower or much faster pretty easily), tap a tempo on the 0-Coast and patch Random out > Slope circuit's time that way the SQ-1's tempo varies randomly
    - Use step jump, honestly love that feature and you can play some interesting melodies on the 0-Coast that way by holding a step then letting the sequence play a bit, hold it again...etc
    - Let the SQ-1's channel A sequence the melody while channel B sequences the OVRTN/MLTPLY circuit for some movement, less monotony
    - Build long sequences and then play little sections of them, building up to the full thing using the SQ-1 active step feature.

Sorry couldn't be of much help on the M32 front as I don't have one.

Here are a couple of videos where I use some of these techniques:

Thanks man, I like both, but especially the second video. I do a lot of those things (some very recently), but " channel B sequences the OVRTN/MLTPLY" is really clever. Thanks again.

It's funny, this stuff is starting to "click." TO\o me, it is very similar to when I learned guitar or other instruments. You start out essentially clueless, but wanting to do it all, and then you hit various levels of "Oh, I get this now" and "Yes, this makes sense and I actually know why I want to be doing this..."

Not to push something, but you might like this guy on Reverb who makes 3D printed stands for the SQ-1 and other synths. I have one for my Mother and 0-Coast (SQ-1 sits in front) and it changed my world.
wireangel
Hey Pie,

When syncing the SQ1 to EOC on the ) Coast slope, I get a double trigger. Just noticed this today, when the cycle was pretty slow, so I'm guessing the SQ1 saw the second threshold jump of the gate going negative and assumed it was a trigger.

Have you noticed this?

You can get some interestingly lopsided timing by using asymmetric slopes, but it's a little annoying on the whole.

As for bang for buck...SQ1 is unbeatable for either 0 Coast or M32 as I have both. Great to interact/play with too. you can learn a lot about sequencing with that little box.

$$ better than Seq 1, Stillson Hammer 2 (owned both and I love the SHII), My main euro seq).

Reminds me of my old ARP seq.
JakoGreyshire
piearesquared wrote:

You can actually get up to 56 steps out of the SQ-1:
Also, check out the other videos this guy has.. They are great!

SQ-1 transpose demo:

piearesquared wrote:
-snip-

I Love doing that too!! Here is my video with me doing that a little bit for the first 50 seconds or so:

As for the Mother-32 check out this thread:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=190962&highlight=

The mother-32 can do drums, bass, and lead lines all by itself with some clever patching. See the Moog music inc video in the thread link above.

Here is my video response from that thread for posterity here in this thread:

In this video I am using a filter and an envelope that is not part of the M32 but, using more than one sequence in the mother you can make a whole song right in the mother.. I plan on doing this soon..

If you are not brave enough to post youtube clips you could just upload crappy videos on youtube as unlisted so the whole world doesn't crap on you, and then post videos here so we can help you explore deeper. I think some of us are curious to see what you are getting out of it... I know I am..
BenJBX
I'm not familiar with any of these devices but can you mix the sq1 CV output with an lfo or a sample and hold wave and route the output to something else? Then you get 2 sequencer tracks for the price of 1.

And try putting a pulsewave lfo into the sq1's clock input and modulting the frequency for sound fx, robot voices and so on.
Halos
Has anyone tried a Rene with an 0 Coast? There’s a picture of them together with a heart around it in the manual.. that seems promising...
Righty
Halos wrote:
Has anyone tried a Rene with an 0 Coast? There’s a picture of them together with a heart around it in the manual.. that seems promising...

I am a long way away from that, but my eventual goal is to get a rack and start adding modules 1 at a time. My first module will almost certainly be a sequencer. Of course there are endless posts on which one to get, but I would have to imagine that is a nice combo. Even so, the videos posted here show there is definitely untapped potential in what I have right now. I guess I'm tryin to "delay gratification" and/or "pay my dues."
Righty
JakoGreyshire wrote:
piearesquared wrote:

You can actually get up to 56 steps out of the SQ-1:
Also, check out the other videos this guy has.. They are great!

SQ-1 transpose demo:

piearesquared wrote:
-snip-

I Love doing that too!! Here is my video with me doing that a little bit for the first 50 seconds or so:

As for the Mother-32 check out this thread:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=190962&highlight=

The mother-32 can do drums, bass, and lead lines all by itself with some clever patching. See the Moog music inc video in the thread link above.

Here is my video response from that thread for posterity here in this thread:

In this video I am using a filter and an envelope that is not part of the M32 but, using more than one sequence in the mother you can make a whole song right in the mother.. I plan on doing this soon..

If you are not brave enough to post youtube clips you could just upload crappy videos on youtube as unlisted so the whole world doesn't crap on you, and then post videos here so we can help you explore deeper. I think some of us are curious to see what you are getting out of it... I know I am..

Dude, I am so sorry I have not checked back in so long. THANK YOU for all these, these are absolutely great and I have no idea how I never found them in all my searches. I'll try to get a camera up and running and post something someday!
JakoGreyshire
thumbs up Cool, go with the flow…. Have fun!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1