MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Plumbutter 2 for idiots
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Author Plumbutter 2 for idiots
Mr. Sound Boy King
Quick start guide to Plumbutter 2.

BLACK - ground

BROWN - pulse out & clock / trig in

GREEN - clock / trig in

BLUE - cv in

PURPLE - fm in

WHITE - audio out

RED - pulse out

ORANGE - cv out

GREY - random out

YELLOW - ultrasound out

SWITCH UP - gonz

SWITCH MIDDLE - bypass

SWITCH DOWN - trad

RED BUTTON - bit on

WHITE BUTTON - bit off
batchas
Mr. Sound Boy King wrote:

I do not understand what the RED and WHITE buttons do.

I do not understand what the GONZ / TRAD switches do.

I do not understand the auxiliary inputs.

It's all in the manual: http://ciat-lonbarde.net/plumbutter/

(all written in parenthesis are my comments)

GONZ VERSUS TRAD
As I said, start out in TRAD and then move on. This switch strictly affects the audio portion of the onboard synth in each module.

For AVDog, TRAD means FM input makes the oscillator vary in frequency, as a triangle wave, and GONZ means FM input makes the oscillator vary in duty cycle, in a gradient between triangle and saw wave.

For Gongue, TRAD means FM input makes the resonance vary in frequency, as a damped sine wave, and GONZ means FM input makes the resonator vary in timbre, as its phonemes sweep together and apart.

Deerhorn also has a switch which has the same feel of GONZ versus TRAD but without the label. All switches have an off position, which is important for AUXILIARY INPUTS.

AUXILIARY INPUTS
(you can affect each synth - AVDog, Deerhorn, Gongue - plugging an external source in the AUX IN)
on the 3 major modules, each switch has three positions: up, down, and off (middle). you can put it in the middle to turn the module off conveniently, like a mute button. also, in AVDog and Deerhorn, which take program input, putting this switch off allows the program input to have complete throughput with no onboard synthesizer. Gongue needs to be set at gonz or trad, because its auxiliary input goes straight through the audio filter.

RED BUTTON (add a bit in the sequencer) / WHITE BUTTON (remove it)
To input data with your thumb, press the (red) button(s) on the front. (press white to delete/remove). One is called "andoff" and the other is "oron", meaning clear and set bits respectively. This module is very intuitive and if you just use it you will get it, you can see the bits moving up the smokestack.

use the man with red steam sequencer as a pulse divider - if you want to trigger events at a slower rate than the slowest rollz, patch from a 4-roll into the clock input of the man with red steam, then set it to loop using one of the orange jacks. Turn on a bit using the red button and you will only get the trigger every 5-8 pulses of the rollz oscillator.
batchas
Mr. Sound Boy King wrote:
Quick start guide to Plumbutter 2.

Plug brown jacks into other brown jacks.

Plug brown jacks into green jacks.

Plug orange jacks into blue jacks.

Plug orange jacks into purple jacks.

Plug red jacks into brown jacks.

Plug grey jacks into brown jacks.

White jacks = audio out.

THE MAN WITH RED STEAM QUICK NOTES

Plug orange jacks into the purple jack.

Red = pulse out.

Blue = CV input.

Purple = FM input.

Plug brown jacks into green jacks.

You can plug any OUT in any IN. I think this is where to start. Cause with all the colour combi you write here you gonna be lost pretty fast and most of all will never understand what they exactly do. I think.

I'd recommend read the manual, a few time if needed, for each part.
You don't need to read it if you understand what colour means what.

Know where are TRIG OUT, TRIG IN. FM IN etc. To get a feeling like on every modular of what is doing what. Cause IMO the PB is extremely intuitive once you know what is a IN and what is a OUT, which is easy to remember with the color code and for which each function is described in detail in the manual.

Do you know what I mean?
To keep it simple:
IN: blue, violet, and green. Easy to remember, these are the cool colors present on the PB.
OUT: orange, red, and yellow. The hot colors.

AUDIO OUT: white.

GROUND (to ground to other gear): black banana jack.

And the grey output: "Grey has a special meaning, as noise or another kind of off-beat or rebellious signal".

Of course you can also say I don't want to know, I stay with my color combinations. That's an option, I'm only giving an advice which works great for me.

And also very important IMHO is the GREEN input which is TRIG IN or CLOCK IN. So you don't only take only the BROWN signals to go into the GREEN, but also the other outputs, the ORANGE for instance (mainly in my case) which will trig the GREEN.
Like said, any OUT to any IN, knowing what they do, so you can tame it pretty quickly.
Mr. Sound Boy King
Thank you for the awesome replies.

I guess I'm hoping to put together something like the Tetrax cheat sheet from another thread which has helped me 1,000x.

(https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2bbj1gpalWUTGhNeWJyemtSZWM/view)

So, essentially a handy guide to what colors do what, as suggested by you folks. Does this work?

BLACK - ground

BROWN - pulse out & clock / trig in

GREEN - clock / trig in

BLUE - cv in

PURPLE - fm in

WHITE - audio out

RED - pulse out

ORANGE - cv out

GREY - random out

YELLOW - ultrasound out

SWITCH UP - gonz

SWITCH MIDDLE - bypass

SWITCH DOWN - trad

RED BUTTON - bit on

WHITE BUTTON - bit off

Does this look correct?

I'm stilling missing the following points:

I do not understand this vocabulary for yellow: "a pure ultrasound square wave that is the reference for the Nyquist resampler."

I also do not understand what a "bit" means in this context. Is "bit on" the same as saying "sequencer step on?"

If The Man With Red Steam is an 8-step sequencer, why does it only have the four RED pulse outs?

TMWRS drives me nuts -

Thanks again for any advice.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Ciat-Lonbarde  
Page 1 of 1