MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Serge VCA in other synths?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Serge VCA in other synths?
flabby
Random question just popped into my head..
Has the Serge VCA design been used in any other synths? Or anybody come across something with a very similar sound?
... And while I'm thinking aloud, what about the wave multipliers? Was that ever adopted into anything else?
J3RK
flabby wrote:
Has the Serge VCA design been used in any other synths? Or anybody come across something with a very similar sound?
... And while I'm thinking aloud, what about the wave multipliers? Was that ever adopted into anything else?

There are a few different Serge VCAs. There were some CA3280 OTA based ones, and there were also some discrete ones as well. Some of the more modern ones (that even have been run by Serge himself) are using THAT 2180s I believe as well. So there is quite a wide cross-section of Serge VCAs.

That covers a pretty wide range, many of variations of which are all over other systems. If I had to pick one that would have the most unique characteristics, it would probably be the discrete one. Though, I'm not sure what its performance is like compared to the others. I've never done any comparisons.

As far as the multipliers, Ken Stone has a variation on them, as well as Jurgen Haible's Wavefolder A and B. They are diode based, as opposed to the op amp circuits in the Buchla Timbre circuits, or the simple transistors in the Lockhart folders. All of these (and also Guest's Gilbert folder) have really pleasant sounds to them. I guess it would be down to personal taste though as to what someone prefers. I lean toward the Gilbert one as it sounds a lot like phase modulation (DX style FM).
notmiserlouagain
Hello Jerk
Do youhappen to have a schematic of the discrete serge vca?
A quick web serge (yeah I know, had to) yields nothing...
Thanks
Isaiah
notmiserlouagain
Take a look at the Serge Gain Cells on Ken Stone’s CGS site.
Easy enough to reverse engineer. thumbs up
notmiserlouagain
Thanks!
So they are still in use thumbs up
MindMachine
flabby wrote:

There are a ton of VCM clones/tributes in Euro. The Intellijel Azimuth is very similar in function to a UAP.
flabby
MindMachine wrote:
flabby wrote:

There are a ton of VCM clones/tributes in Euro. The Intellijel Azimuth is very similar in function to a UAP.

Thanks!
I was thinking mainly about fixed or semi modular designs.
fonik
for the random*source modules we replaced the old discrete blackmer gain cell with modern state of the art pre-trimmed blackmer gain cells from THAT. that is exactly what Serge would have done today (i got his word).

others use the THAT VCAs as well (i.e. L-1).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1