MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Neutron The New Behringer Semi-Modular Synthesizer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next [all]
Author Neutron The New Behringer Semi-Modular Synthesizer
nomadjames
I really don't think the red is that bad.
unclebastard
electricanada wrote:
You can hear the Neutron in action here:

https://soundcloud.com/jd73/new-behringer-neutron-jam

I'd like to hear more modular weirdness and complex evolving drones--if it's possible with this box--but this is a start.

Should be, it's got enough patch points, there's plenty to play with, either self-patched or mangled by Euro modules.
alex5556
this beast is a real game-changer. I'm going to sell my mother 32 and grab this one, although I love m32. but it's literally two times cheaper, considering its possibilities. hope it'll well-made and durable.
clipper
dubnspace wrote:
$299!
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/behringer-neutron-paraph onic-analog-and-semi-modular-synthesizer#productDetail

I called it too It's peanut butter jelly time!
now we need some proper demos & a release date hmmm.....
Nutritional Zero
I think the decision to make it red was probably, probably, overall a good decision.

I think everyone would have said "make it Black" but with that particular panel layout it would look just like a Mother-32 to the noobie. They'd go into their local shop, stare at them side-by-side, wonder why one is so much cheaper than the other and choose the more expensive one (ah retail psychology).

I don't like the red, but it helps the product stand out on the market. I would have chosen a kind of mid-depth charcoal colour for it myself.

Personally I've always wanted to build a secondary rig out of lower-cost options that I can travel with, bang around a bit, and allow other people to play (including friends who like to set pint glasses next to synths). But that said, Volcas are simply too dinky for me to get much use out of. This'll do fine.
electricanada
Will this fit in a euro case? Anyone know?
Chopper
Nutritional Zero wrote:
I think the decision to make it red was probably, probably, overall a good decision.

I think everyone would have said "make it Black" but with that particular panel layout it would look just like a Mother-32 to the noobie. They'd go into their local shop, stare at them side-by-side, wonder why one is so much cheaper than the other and choose the more expensive one (ah retail psychology).

I don't like the red, but it helps the product stand out on the market. I would have chosen a kind of mid-depth charcoal colour for it myself.

Personally I've always wanted to build a secondary rig out of lower-cost options that I can travel with, bang around a bit, and allow other people to play (including friends who like to set pint glasses next to synths). But that said, Volcas are simply too dinky for me to get much use out of. This'll do fine.

I agree with many of those points.
I believe they've been busy investigating the eurorack "scene" as well as trying to make a product that will atract beginners in the sense that there is an all-in-one aspect to it that a few of us are after for the reasons you mentioned.
anselmi
Nutritional Zero wrote:

could be like you said but I don't like it because of the RED, I don't like it because of what they do with the RED...

in this very thread there is a pic of a red boomstar 700 that is gorgeous! also I love the look of nord synths (mainly leads) and I own myself a red 101...even the red boutique 01a is really nice...

but this thing is still ugly

I hope the greyscale guy is reading this and making a cool replacement panel
plogbidman
Yes alex5556, this Neutron is a real game-changer. thumbs up
I love my two Phenol Kilpatrick. But i will buy as soon as possible two Neutron too, no problem about that. hihi
Each and every "module" of the Neutron has its ins and its outs. That makes of it in my opinion not only a very good semi-modular but a real small and cleverly designed full modular. For 300$ !!!
That's why it's a game-changer. nanners
dubonaire
anselmi wrote:
Nutritional Zero wrote:

could be like you said but I don't like it because of the RED, I don't like it because of what they do with the RED...

in this very thread there is a pic of a red boomstar 700 that is gorgeous! also I love the look of nord synths (mainly leads) and I own myself a red 101...even the red boutique 01a is really nice...

but this thing is still ugly

My thoughts too. I love my red Nord.
lisa
I stand corrected. I expected it to be $499, well below the Arturia equivalent but well more than the Model B. At $299 it is insane value. Sure to make loads of people really snippy about other companies princing. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

In Europe the pricing seems to hover around 350 euros including sales tax. That is proportionate to about $430. Still really cheap but not as devastatingly mind-blowing.
clipper
the videos are coming: Guinness ftw!

Panason
OK, so Behringer is a German company . Why is it cheaper in the US??
Quote:

I don't like the red, but it helps the product stand out on the market.

Yeah, that's crude lowest-common-denominator marketing psychology.
Noisefan
Thanks clipper and DivKid for the video. I'm quite excited for this original semi-modular while the Moog clone left me feeling a bit uneasy.

I know it won't be out until the end of April or later but I'm already planning how it will sit next to my other gear. I don't really understand the urge to take up a gigantic amount of precious space inside a eurorack case when it will easily sit next to or on top of the case?
plogbidman
I will buy directly two Neutrons. One will go instantly into my eurorack modular. The other one will go on my knees, like an analog red cat, hahaha ! hihi
Funky40
Noisefan wrote:
I don't really understand the urge to take up a gigantic amount of precious space inside a eurorack case when it will easily sit next to or on top of the case?

assoon one is building his own (simple) euroracks,
hasnĀ“t it to be a precious space.
it can even turn into the contrary as one can build up the walls with euro wink
starthief
Noisefan wrote:
I don't really understand the urge to take up a gigantic amount of precious space inside a eurorack case when it will easily sit next to or on top of the case?

I don't have a lot of desk space that isn't already reserved for other synths and controllers, so "next to" isn't going to work.

One of my cases is a Mantis, so "on top of" isn't going to work there.

The other is a 12U server rack stand with no sides, 9U of Euro in Z-rails, a 1U switch panel and 1U audio interface. "On top of" isn't going to work there, either.

My two cheapest options are replacing the 12U rack with a 15U rack, or get a short rack cabinet to stick under that rack, and racking the Neutron.
percussion boy
mick wrote:
ignatius wrote:
am i the only one who thinks it's butt ugly? just gonna assume yes because that's usually the way these things go for me.
In this pic it looks totally different though:

Here it looks really good nanners

and maybe even edible... Wild Cherry analog.
Howie_Doodat
whats the over/under on that thing having terrible tuning problems?
numan7
meh where in the heck are you hearing all that from (it hasn't even shipped yet), Howdie-Doodie, (or are you just trying to stir up some fun)?

anyways, i think you might be confusing the behringer neutron with the earlier versions (rev 1 and 2) of the sequential circuits prophet 5 polysynths.

the main differences are:

* neutron is a monosynth (so it's more like the sci pro one). it only needs to stay in tune with itself - though it does sound like some folks will try poly-chaining them via midi as well as modular means.

* neutron uses cem vcos (like prophet 5 rev 3 and pro one) which are more stable than the ssm and discrete vcos used in the earlier prophets (which were more difficult to keep in tune than the later prophet 5 rev 3s).

* neutron has a functionally complete modular patchbay. so while the prophets do feature their modulation matrix that allows vco xmod, pitch envelopes and filter fm - all of that and more can be easily patched on the netutron.

* neutron has a new multi-mode filter design ('moffat') from one of the behringer-midas engineers. afaik, the prophets all used ssm or cem filters.

cheers
sutekina bipu-on
^ Great post. If i totally fall in love with the neutron sound i could see myself buying a couple. More likely I will sample the sounds i like, though.
Panason
Quote:
Cheap stuff = cheap materials inside and out

Not necessarily. It can be cheap because mass manufactured using wage slaves in China.
nomadjames
I thought they only had wage slaves in Japan and the US?
starthief
I sure hope nobody having a go at Behringer for manufacturing in China, or using cheap parts, uses any products from Roland, Yamaha, Apple, Intel, AMD... oh wait hmmm.....

There are very few manufacturers that don't try to minimize their expenses either by using the cheapest available parts, underpaying their labor, exerting pressure on their suppliers if they're big enough, lobbying for looser regulations (and again doing their best to screw over labor), etc.

Until someone manages to document exactly how Behringer is substantially worse for their workers than everyone else is, and/or exhorts people to also avoid other instrumeent manufacturers for the same reasons, it's just empty trash-talk.
chvad
starthief wrote:
I sure hope nobody having a go at Behringer for manufacturing in China, or using cheap parts, uses any products from Roland, Yamaha, Apple, Intel, AMD... oh wait hmmm.....

There are very few manufacturers that don't try to minimize their expenses either by using the cheapest available parts, underpaying their labor, exerting pressure on their suppliers if they're big enough, lobbying for looser regulations (and again doing their best to screw over labor), etc.

Until someone manages to document exactly how Behringer is substantially worse for their workers than everyone else is, and/or exhorts people to also avoid other instrumeent manufacturers for the same reasons, it's just empty trash-talk.

yup.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next [all]
Page 7 of 17