MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SW Pitch Calibration for Drum Modules?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Author SW Pitch Calibration for Drum Modules?
PM33AUD
Anyone have any tips on how to use Silent Way's calibration on a drum module? I'm trying to tune an Akemie's Taiko, which only registers pitch changes at trigger pulses.
os
If you high-pass filter the pitch output, you'll get a spike on every pitch change. Maybe that would work?
ignatius
i think you'll have to play around some..

if you put a square wave from an analog oscillator into the trigger input of the akemie's taiko w/the freqstart/end/feedback/ratio of the taiko at minimum i think you can sort of get it done. you'll have to find that sweet spot in the oscillator where it seems to hover at 'sustain' vs audio rate trigger.

probably looking at some trial and error and I'm sure what i'm thinking is likely convoluted and more about "that's pretty close" than being actually accurate.
Navs
Does Akemie's Taiko not track 1V/O well enough? If not, can SW's calibration routine be stepped manually?

But generally, it's an interesting challenge because of the nature of drum sounds, i.e. they're either un-pitched or complex/multi-toned, no?

In that sense, low pass filtering/ simplifying the sound might help to determine the basic pitch of the drum/sine-tone. But then, as soon as you re-introduce the modulation that makes it a drum ... hmmm.....
ignatius
Navs wrote:
Does Akemie's Taiko not track 1V/O well enough? If not, can SW's calibration routine be stepped manually?

But generally, it's an interesting challenge because of the nature of drum sounds, i.e. they're either un-pitched or complex/multi-toned, no?

In that sense, low pass filtering/ simplifying the sound might help to determine the basic pitch of the drum/sine-tone. But then, as soon as you re-introduce the modulation that makes it a drum ... hmmm.....

yeah.. seems it's solid digital oscillator and maybe best to do it by ear and skip calibration. seriously, i just don't get it
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Expert Sleepers  
Page 1 of 1