MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Easel optional 1/4" out jumper
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Easel optional 1/4" out jumper
sandettie
I have a 2016-ish BEMI Easel.

https://imgur.com/a/hnncO

^^ Is this the correct way to set the jumper, to enable both 1/4" outs on the side of the case for audio out? I ask, because I'm not getting anything out of the "Opt" jack.
InnnerSight
I was weirdly enough looking at this earlier and that is the info I got from Noisebug - http://www.noisebug.net/site/effects/index.cfm?ID=524
sandettie
Yes! That is where I found out about the jumper in the first place.
mutierend
sandettie wrote:
I have a 2016-ish BEMI Easel.

https://imgur.com/a/hnncO

^^ Is this the correct way to set the jumper, to enable both 1/4" outs on the side of the case for audio out? I ask, because I'm not getting anything out of the "Opt" jack.

Are you getting both channels out of your headphone jack?
InnnerSight
Just out of interest, with the jumper in the OUT-ST position (as per your image) is the left hand output now in stereo?

To me it looks like there should be three available settings Sustain/Output Right/Output Stereo.
sandettie
Aha--that did not occur to me. I will try moving it to the middle position this evening, and see if that yields output on the R jack.

Quote:
To me it looks like there should be three available settings Sustain/Output Right/Output Stereo.
bcomnes
Hey I looked at that Noisebug post and in their Easel picture they show a card slot under the ground plug....I have an early edition BEMI Easel and mine does not have the card slot....sigh

So that raises the question , can future firmware updates be passed to the Easel via the iPad card? assuming of course that BEMI era Easels will ever get a future firmware upgrade

Sorry if this is getting OT
sytnax
When did the new powerboards come out?

Got my Easel from Noisebug in 2016 yet it comes with an old powerboard. Disappointing to say the least.
sandettie
Ok, so I was being dumb--you get right and left 1/4" out if you have the jumper on the middle two tines.

Now I have four outs! It's peanut butter jelly time!

Thanks, all, for your counsel!
Cobramatic
InnnerSight wrote:
Just out of interest, with the jumper in the OUT-ST position (as per your image) is the left hand output now in stereo?

Also interested in this - because since when was the Easel able to output stereo??
It was always just 2 mono outputs, so unless they have changed the circuit output stage (with maybe a stereo reverb??) I don't see how it is now stereo.

I do note that the Noisebug page says the following:
"This means the jack can be utilized as a sustain pedal input (default) or as an audio output to accomplish stereo signal from the Music Easel"

I'm assuming that is a mistake ?
InnnerSight
Cobramatic wrote:
InnnerSight wrote:

Also interested in this - because since when was the Easel able to output stereo??
It was always just 2 mono outputs, so unless they have changed the circuit output stage (with maybe a stereo reverb??) I don't see how it is now stereo.

I do note that the Noisebug page says the following:
"This means the jack can be utilized as a sustain pedal input (default) or as an audio output to accomplish stereo signal from the Music Easel"

I'm assuming that is a mistake ?

In this case stereo simply means 2 channels, but both output the same signal.
ritchiedrums
I think this Chris Thomas quote is appropriate here.

"It's Mono Deluxe"
~His response when asked if the Sex Pistols album was stereo lol
Cobramatic
ritchiedrums wrote:
I think this Chris Thomas quote is appropriate here.

"It's Mono Deluxe"
~His response when asked if the Sex Pistols album was stereo lol

applause applause applause
That's it!

I guess technically by definition the term "Stereo" can mean 2 separate identical mono outputs - but in the general context of musical instruments and effects we normally associate stereo to be 2 different signals which help create, or recreate, a 2 or 3 dimensional source. (even if done so via a 'stereo' chorus or reverb output).

Not a big deal I know - but in the context of the Easel output the term "Stereo" is misleading in my view.
I know a lot of folks new to the Easel sometimes think that the 2 outputs are the separate outputs of the two LPG's or a wet and dry output for example. Also not so!
papz
Cobramatic wrote:
I know a lot of folks new to the Easel sometimes think that the 2 outputs are the separate outputs of the two LPG's or a wet and dry output for example. Also not so!

Dedicated outputs for each LPG, pre or post channel level pot, and for dry could be added easily.
sandettie
Quote:
Dedicated outputs for each LPG, pre or post channel level pot, and for dry could be added easily.

That would be fantastic.
InnnerSight
papz wrote:

Imagine a voltage controlled mixer being fed by those dedicated LPG outs w00t
Drillionaire
The stereo outputs on the easel each run through their own set of cascaded all-pass filters. The idea initially was to have different capacitor values in the feedback paths to introduce different phase shifts and various frequencies in the left and right channels to provide a 'stereo' image. This was never implemented and any 'stereo' image is a result of component tolerance of the parts used in the all-pass filter networks.

These capacitors could of course be changed...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1