MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Orville/H8000
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Orville/H8000
frank1985
I have a habit of compromising on gear in order to save a few ££, only to give in and upgrade to the next best thing later down the line. Hence my current dilemma - Orville or H8000. Orville is definitely more in my budget, but I'm afraid that later down the line my head will be turned by the latter.

I understand the H8000 is the most powerful machine, but is it worth spending an extra 1-1.5k for it? Which is the most intuitive? How many fx can be run at once?

I should state that I like versatility in units as I'm a tweaker, and love to discover new things several years down the line. I predominantly work with spacey, meditative, ambient scores.
ignatius
H9000 is coming soon though.. might want to wait for it and save some more $$$ to get it smile
Happyanimal
If you need/want FireWire I/O it would be the H8000.
Happyanimal
Happyanimal wrote:
If you need/want FireWire I/O it would be the H8000.

Or unless you’re just talking about the H8000A.
cl516
I had an H8000FW for many many years. It was great while I had it, but I also felt liberated once I sold it. It could run on 2 DSP’s at once, and the flexible routing was great. But I personally never dove into VSIG, so I depended a lot on the preset algorithms... which honestly is more than enough. The unit overall though started to feel like it was aging a bit. For example, there might be wonderful algorithms doing this or that, but when compared to outside plugin world, there won’t be sudden advancements from new companies doing component level modeling etc. It was always just the H8000FW and that’s it, a giant of FX forever locked in its own era. But hey, many beautiful vintage pieces are also like that out there so depends on your needs.
tobb
Get an Orville,i had H8000FW and Orville at the same time.

All the great fx that you will mostly use are in both machines

+ all the dense fx take so much room in the sound spectrum so 1 dsp is enough,for other delays etc you can use other fx machines...

BTW,if you do ambient,mediative etc,for sure you will not regret,get one!
frank1985
tobb wrote:
Get an Orville,i had H8000FW and Orville at the same time.

All the great fx that you will mostly use are in both machines

+ all the dense fx take so much room in the sound spectrum so 1 dsp is enough,for other delays etc you can use other fx machines...

BTW,if you do ambient,mediative etc,for sure you will not regret,get one!

Orville would deffo be a little easier on my wallet. By one DSP do you mean that only effect can be employed at once?
johnnywoods
I don't have an h8000, but to be honest, Ive never even come close to running out of horsepower with the orville. Ymmv
tobb
frank1985 wrote:

Orville would deffo be a little easier on my wallet. By one DSP do you mean that only effect can be employed at once?

In the Orville you can run one program to a pair of stereo in/outs

On the H8000 you have this x two and can internally route signals between the dsp engines,so you can create one fx preset that combines the two dsp engines.

But like i wrote before the same presets in the orville are in the H8000,the H8000 have xtra stuff but you are not gonna missing that,all the great lush algos are in both units.

The H8000 is like having two Orvilles + some xtra algos in one 19'' box

The dsps are more powerful in the H8000 and the electronics are also updated.
Sanys
sold my h3500 to get Orville. Never looked back, get the one you can for the money you have, you won't regret!
7hz
Orville here as well. It is the best value out of all of the Eventide rack boxes I think. It is a super high quality unit for the price they go for now, both in terms of hardware (built like a tank) and software.

I feel a bit guilty as well about not using Vsig, but the presets are amazing, and I'd rather spend time making music. Mine is stuck on Blackhole and a short room reverb permanently, and I am ok with that.

It has 4 ins and 4 outs. You can run 2 separate effects at the same time. You can configure the ins and outs as you like. I have two mono aux sends going to the input, one to each effect, and 2 stereo outs.

Once the H9000 comes out, maybe the H8000 will drop in price on the used market, but I wouldn't bet on it. There is a definite floor on the price of these things below which they are never likely to drop due to their build and the reputation of the algorithms. They don't come on the market _that_ much. I think I may have seen Orvilles pick up in price since I got mine.
frank1985
Thanks guys for providing a little clarity, I certainly don’t want more than I really need, and at a grand more. Orville it is then. I may have an opportunity to buy one for around £1800-1900
The Goob
I have an 8000 and it's great but I would be quite happy with an Orville. Have fun with the Orville and don't let Vsig scare you - it's not that bad
chlorinemist
The H9000 can do 16 H8000-class algos simultaneously. That is a HUGE upgrade over the 8K. (The H8000FW does 2 max) I have an H8000FW, and in my mind it is just bonkers to consider the 8K over the 9K. Even for double the price of an 8K, the extra utility gained would be more than worth it.
frank1985
chlorinemist wrote:
The H9000 can do 16 H8000-class algos simultaneously. That is a HUGE upgrade over the 8K. (The H8000FW does 2 max) I have an H8000FW, and in my mind it is just bonkers to consider the 8K over the 9K. Even for double the price of an 8K, the extra utility gained would be more than worth it.

This thread is about the h8000 and the Orville, not everybody can afford the 9k.
taylor12k
i'd string,y consider the h7600 if you could find one. it's in your price range and is pretty much the same thing as the 8000 but just does one algorithm st a time.

i had the 7600 before i found a killer deal on an 8000 and, cranky, i hardly ever use 2 algos at once on the 8000.

frank1985 wrote:
Thanks guys for providing a little clarity, I certainly don’t want more than I really need, and at a grand more. Orville it is then. I may have an opportunity to buy one for around £1800-1900
frank1985
Just won an ebay auction for the Orville - £1,364.00/$1900 Good price considering I've seen others go for a lot more.
7hz
frank1985 wrote:
Just won an ebay auction for the Orville - £1,364.00/$1900 Good price considering I've seen others go for a lot more.

Oh, congrats and welcome to the club :-)

That is about what I got mine for a few years ago. I think that is probably the base value for an Orville (well, in fact, the market has just decided it is!). I don't really see them going for much less ever.

The replies are interesting here as well. I do think the Orville is the sweet spot feature and power wise for enthusiast use. Running 2 Eventide FX in one box, separate stereo outs for each, possibility for VSig. Perfect.

The H9000 looks a high end studio monster, but 8 analog ins / 8 analog outs is too much, and the processing power is amazing but quite OTT. I hope they do a cut down H9000 with the same interface but 4 ins / outs and less power, and at least half the price. The new interface does look good!

Do think the Orville looks better than the H8000, less wishy-washy :-)

tobb
frank1985 wrote:

Excellent price! thumbs up
frank1985
[quote="7hz"][quote="frank1985"]Just won an ebay auction for the Orville - £1,364.00/$1900 Good price considering I've seen others go for a lot more.[/quote

The H9000 looks a high end studio monster, but 8 analog ins / 8 analog outs is too much, and the processing power is amazing but quite OTT. I hope they do a cut down H9000 with the same interface but 4 ins / outs and less power, and at least half the price. The new interface does look good!

I love how they’ve maxed out the screen size...looks lovely and ultra modern.
glennfin
I sold my DSP7600 a few months ago... I found the Eclipse to be closer to my needs, and the price is reasonable.

I'm afraid to ask the price on the H9000 meh meh
oldgearguy
glennfin wrote:
I sold my DSP7600 a few months ago... I found the Eclipse to be closer to my needs, and the price is reasonable.

I'm afraid to ask the price on the H9000 meh meh

You can pre-order one at Sweetwater for $6999.

If you're thinking about selling a pair of H8000FW's (and don't have a remote), that's not a bad trade considering you'll get around $3k per H8000 and step up in processing power. If you're just using analog I/O I think it's even (9000 has 8 analog I/O?), but you'll have to make/buy a D-SUB to XLR connector/snake.
frank1985
I had my first go on this last night and all I can say is “I get it”. It was only in a mono setup as well with a guitar synth running through it, so I’m looking forward to hooking it up in full stereo tonight with my pedalboard smile
7hz
frank1985 wrote:
I had my first go on this last night and all I can say is “I get it”. It was only in a mono setup as well with a guitar synth running through it, so I’m looking forward to hooking it up in full stereo tonight with my pedalboard smile

Nice one!

Rockin' Banana!
tobb
Try preset 'Genesis II'
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1