MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mordax GXN Granular Processor Hype
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Mordax GXN Granular Processor Hype
JeshuaW
So out of all the things that came out of NAMM this has to be the one I am most excited about and surprised how few people are talking about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o6BaKaVD1s

I don't think anyone has done granular to this level yet. Will definitely be interested to see how the features and quality develop over the next few months.
CF3
This one definitely looks the business. Hopefully we see it sooner rather than later. applause
rayrayatx
Definitely excited for this. Was hoping to see that audio damage granular sampler go in to production when announced last year, but still no word from it, so this is a nice surprise! The DATA interface and menu diving is so simple and intuitive.
Zymos
CF3 wrote:
This one definitely looks the business. Hopefully we see it sooner rather than later. applause

I think he said by the end of the year.
CF3
Zymos wrote:
CF3 wrote:

I think he said by the end of the year.

Yeah, he hopes by summer no later than fall, so translated into euro-time... maybe around NAMM 2019? hmmm.....

Anyways, looks nicely laid out and easy to navigate nanners
Funky40
JeshuaW wrote:
........... this has to be the one I am most excited about and surprised how few people are talking about it.

i think it was not finished not ? even just on a early stage ?

To me, this kind of sample-play tool stands and falls based on some minor details.
The basic concept as shown at this Namm told me personally kind of nothing.
bobdylan
Damn so much granular this namm!! Definitely conflicted between this and the Nebulae 2 but either way my Clouds is feeling the heat... hihi
cptnal
Looks pretty damn cool. At first sight I thought, "ugh - screen!", but it's actually giving useful "visual feedback" as the man says, and not just hiding an off-putting amount of menu-diving.

To sum up, WANT! Wow!
pedalhead
digging the screen here. sure wish I had one on my morphagene
dogoftears
only 1 grain?
flashheart
dogoftears wrote:
only 1 grain?

Well he does mention grain density, which implies multiple grains. 1 grain wouldn't really be granular would it smile
ugokcen
2018 will be the year of the samplers. Dave Rossum’s 8 voice monster is coming out in a few months, Clouds 2.0 is expected to drop unexpectedly smile, and now this granular beauty! While part of the attraction of the modular is getting away from screens, I really like what Mordax have done here. I’m really looking forward to it.
dogoftears
flashheart wrote:
dogoftears wrote:
only 1 grain?

Well he does mention grain density, which implies multiple grains. 1 grain wouldn't really be granular would it smile

yeah exactly.
i guess i didn't hear anything in the demo that sounded like more then 1 grain. for me that's just a well featured sampling voice.
natureclubcassettes
looks and sounds great, but Clouds with parasites is still enough for my needs. i feel like i could create all of these sounds, minus the flipping between more than a couple saved samples and an SD card, with Clouds...

still cool though!
NU
CF3 wrote:
This one definitely looks the business.
timoka
flashheart wrote:
dogoftears wrote:
only 1 grain?

i think what he means is that it’s monophonic. density has nothing to do with that. if it’s polyphonic then you have overlapping grains.
MarcelP
timoka wrote:
flashheart wrote:
dogoftears wrote:
only 1 grain?

i think what he means is that it’s monophonic. density has nothing to do with that. if it’s polyphonic then you have overlapping grains.

Hi - not quite sure I understand the mono/poly distinction there - granular synthesis (mono or poly) without overlapping grains would seems a tad...thin.

By mono/poly are we talking about the possibility of working on multiple samples (as in sources to be granularised(granularated?) independently but simultaneously?

Confusion is probably mine!
timoka
no, what I meant is that in a monophonic granular sampler it is not possible to have two grains or more play at the same time, that doesn't mean it's thin, it's just monophonic, you still have thousands of grains and can manipulate them. the mungo g0 for example is monophonic, one grain plays after the other, the trigger speed, eg density is not independent from grain size, when a grain endet the next is played immediately, there is no overlap, no polyphony.
on the er301 grain modules the length of a grain is independent from the density, so you can trigger faster than the time it needs for a grain to play, therefore you need polyphony, in the case of the er301 it is 16 voice polyphony i think. i have no idea about the mordax, i just thought that user dogoftears probably meant this when he said only 1 grain.
MarcelP
timoka wrote:
no, what I meant is that in a monophonic granular sampler it is not possible to have two grains or more play at the same time, that doesn't mean it's thin, it's just monophonic, you still have thousands of grains and can manipulate them. the mungo g0 for example is monophonic, one grain plays after the other, the trigger speed, eg density is not independent from grain size, when a grain endet the next is played immediately, there is no overlap, no polyphony.
on the er301 grain modules the length of a grain is independent from the density, so you can trigger faster than the time it needs for a grain to play, therefore you need polyphony, in the case of the er301 it is 16 voice polyphony i think. i have no idea about the mordax, i just thought that user dogoftears probably meant this when he said only 1 grain.

Ah - thanks for clarifying the mono/poly thing. I guess I never considered the use of granular synthesis without overlapping grains... Guess that's why I have 2 Clounds and no Mungo! I learned something new today. thumbs up
timoka
i have to correct myself, there is a crossfade of grains on the mungo, but that's only audible with longer grains, the envelopes overlap a bit.
polyphony in this terms is maybe also misleading since on most granular synthesis tools you don't have a true polyphonic modulation set, you can't adjust thousands of grains independently obviously, that's why often you see some random modulation, jitter on controls like pitch, length, density, pan etc...
Southfork
I wasn’t a huge fan of the DATA. Interface wasn’t user friendly for me and the encoders weren’t that great. Feature set looks good on this but as people said it’s up against some other new granular modules. Will wait and see what you guys make of it once it appears smile
mcpepe
ugokcen wrote:
2018 will be the year of the samplers. Dave Rossum’s 8 voice monster is coming out in a few months, Clouds 2.0 is expected to drop unexpectedly smile, and now this granular beauty! While part of the attraction of the modular is getting away from screens, I really like what Mordax have done here. I’m really looking forward to it.

Isn't SDS Digital making a new Reflex v2 sampler too, with granular features?
I am not sure hmmm.....
Crimesofthecrown
This looks sick but I probably cannot afford it. cry
vnsc
Hi!

Anyone have any updates/info/ETA on this? It's been pretty quiet since it was announced (presumably because of heavy development) hihi

Also worth noting, unless it's changed since - according to the modulargrid prototype page, the GXN is quite power hungry (250mA +12v / 60mA -12v) - so this module is probably not suitable for weaker power supplies or small systems with a lot going on!
Freequenz
Yes please, i was realy excited when i saw this at superbooth this year.. I'm going to go for it for sure! hopefully it will be available this year! Huge support for mordax! yahey It's peanut butter jelly time!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2