MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Quintessential Serge in 2 panels
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Quintessential Serge in 2 panels
lasesentaysiete
a self-imposed 2 panel limit has brought me to this point. Have I done it?

cheapmachines
I'd slim down the Audio Mixer into a single unit and switch one of the PVCO's for an NTO.

I personally find the variable wave shape on the NTO very useful.

Not sure how you'd do it but I'd also ditch one of the DTG's for a DUSG, or if you don't want to lose anything else try and mod the DTG's to have a 1v/Oct input which would open them up a bit.
lasesentaysiete
Quote:
I'd slim down the Audio Mixer into a single unit and switch one of the PVCO's for an NTO.

Yes, this is an area of concern. I am leaning toward the pco + xfader in order to have a switch for the sequencer. Not sure yet, though. Also, thie mixer shown is not the exact one I'll use. I'm planning on building the panel with the Low Gain submix, which also offers the mix of both halves combined.

Quote:
mod the DTG's to have a 1v/Oct input

Definitely. Its not shown in the photo, but I'll this layout for all 3 DTGs, possibly adding a 2nd cycle switch and v/oct input per unit:
cheapmachines
Nice, that opens the DTG right up.

I don't do a whole lot with sequencers so a PVCO and XFade might suit your set up better.
lasesentaysiete
Also, I know its not the same, but the pcos will in reality be cgs48 boards. This gives me a variable shape output, too.
cheapmachines
Sounds like you're covered!
J3RK
Just having that x-fader there, means you can combine any two waveforms from a VCO just like a VCO with dedicated VC Wave Shape. It won't be as wide a range of shapes as an NTO, but it will allow some similar things.

Use a comparator for PWM then mix that with another wave using the x-fade, and you've got a nicely animated palette of shapes.
lasesentaysiete
J3RK
the dual vca module will be built using your pcb smile
but do you know if your fadex4u board is still available anywhere other than synthcube? (direct?)
J3RK
lasesentaysiete wrote:
J3RK
the dual vca module will be built using your pcb smile
but do you know if your fadex4u board is still available anywhere other than synthcube? (direct?)

I may have one or two of these boards left. I can take a look when I'm back at home.

w00t
MindMachine
Maybe change the dual mixer for a single space mixer and a CV Pro or Scaling Buffer. You will want more cv processing. If CCCV Pro is not available then a Scaling Buffer can be put into an open XFAD to mix it all up. Or go Active Processor instead of XFAD and get a Scaling buffer with a simplified crossfader.

The Res EQ is great, when you need it (processing, fine tuning). Frankly I use a different VCF or TWS more often, but I would be nervous without it. So... great module.

Cycle switch might be nice on one channel of a DTG, but I much prefer Signal In (best option) or Trigger button on at least one channel (wish I had at least one) and then Bi Polar Out.

That is a great set of modules in a two panel. DSCM is a must... NCom is a must... Pulse Divider a must... DTG's for the win...

SlayerBadger!
lasesentaysiete
MindMachine wrote:
Maybe change the dual mixer for a single space mixer and a CV Pro or Scaling Buffer. You will want more cv processing.

I think you're right but I'm not keen on ditching the dual mixer. I'll try and get some more firsthand comparisons of single vs dual. I have a feeling the dual mixer will benefit me more for the types of patches I'm after.

Maybe a second processor instead of the logic gates? I don't use those often, but I included them because I felt I should try to more.
revtor
So how’s the third panel shaping up?

:

Steve
lasesentaysiete
revtor wrote:
So how’s the third panel shaping up?

:

Steve

yeah, that's kind of the game here. If I add a third, there will be a fourth, and if a fourth, well... and so on.

Just trying to distill the Serge smile
MindMachine
Don't listen to Revtor (even though he's right). Your two panels are dead on. But yeah, I would gain some cv processing over to start in two panels.

It's a tough call on how to plan. For today or possibly tomorrow. I built my panels one at a time as if each was my last and ended up happy after one... then two... then three... then TKB.

Your two panels look as good as it gets to me. Bases covered and a couple of preferred choices for your playing style.
revtor
I’d definitely opt for More cv utility, like the scaling buffers on the quad slope m-class panel.. for me it would be scaling buffers to replace the mix pro. ring mod plus ? to replace the res eq?. Although the res eq is classic serge. But yeah -you’ve got all the bases covered! (Maybe swap a slope for a filter?)

This was a fun exercise back when STS custom panels were a thing!!
lasesentaysiete
revtor wrote:
This was a fun exercise back when STS custom panels were a thing!!

yes, another good point. I'll have to build these myself, so I am limited to Serge circuits commercially available for DIY, or near approximations (e.g. the dual vca and x-fader will not be a Serge circuits, and the divider not technically, either).

The only cv utilities I've used in Serge are dual processors. From what I understand, using only one input is the same as a scaling buffer, no?
revtor
The scaling buffers is essentially a slimmed down “dual processors”, two in one unit of with. Offset, & attenuation, but no mixing... It’s included in the quad slope m-class panel. A must have, imho.

As far as putting multiple outputs into one input I would tend to avoid that although I’m not sure what damage would be done, and how far you’d have to go to cause any harm.

Another thing, since you would be building these yourself, is the idea of using the wider boats as opposed to the standard surge 17 inch classic boats. Would give you a bit more room for future expansion.
And finally, if I was going to be building 4u serge-esque panels, I would approach it like random source or even STS with the M panel approach, break it into chunks as opposed to one huge panel. It makes the DIY aspect less daunting, gives greater flexibility, and allows you to play with things as they are built as opposed to waiting until everything is done. I know for me, having part of a project finished and working is great motivation to keep going and finish the rest, while looking up a giant mountain of PCBs and expensive panels to go get manufactured is a bit of a downer.
lasesentaysiete
revtor wrote:

As far as putting multiple outputs into one input I would tend to avoid that although I’m not sure what damage would be done, and how far you’d have to go to cause any harm.

I explained myself poorly. I meant that using only one input (instead of three) on one half of a dual processor is essentially the same as a scaling buffer (inverting attenuator + offset). I didn't mean to suggest that I could put 3 separate inputs into a scaling buffer d'oh!

I'm looking to use standard 17" boats, yes. The R*S 4x4 idea had occurred to me, but I was only able to come up with systems that I felt were still "compromises". From there, I thought of doing custom 4x4 panels, but if its going to be a custom layout, I prefer the full panel vs 4x4.

ps: I don't mind the DIY bit. It will not impact my decision whatever.
cygmu
One thing you could do with your DIY 17" panels is to have 17 columns of stuff per boat rather than 16 -- this is what loudestwarning / the bad producer does. That way you could add a bit of CV processing power without going over the two panel limit or sacrificing anything else.

E.g.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BewT1FnBSua/
lasesentaysiete
cygmu
that probably makes the most sense. I will have to get over certain biases I have regarding Serge aesthetics, but the extra space would make things easier!
sempervirent
I'd find it tough to start a Serge without adding a TKB... my minimal setup would be having the TKB down front with two other rows above.

With a TKB making the Seq/Prog module redundant, I'd be looking at a third VCO... R*S NTO + Xfader would take up the same space as the Seq/Prog for example. But that's just me, I realize the TKB isn't for everyone.

Expanding to 17 units per row does seem like the right move. On the top row, you could replace the DTG+MIX+DTG section (5 units) with one R*S DSG+Mix module and one DTG (6 units). Then you get two modulation sources that are a little more complex (DSG) and two that are simpler (DTG) without giving up the mixer. On the bottom row, perhaps another Dual VCA.

If you don't keep the pulse divider, maybe swap it for a second filter flavor.

Just IMO... not a current Serge owner/user, just thinking out loud.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1