MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Any MPC-X users? Need some advice.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Any MPC-X users? Need some advice.
glennfin
I've been using the Roland MV8800 for years now. I don't make beats, I don't do hip-hop. The MV8800 is great for me because I can record an entire song in LINEAR fashion, both MIDI tracks and multitrack audio. Like most, I also use a computer but I absolutely must have a standalone box as a songwriting tool. I am not interested in "pattern sequencing"

I've been looking into replacing the MV with the Akai MPC-X but I'd like to hear from users regarding the song mode and recording linear tracks. Like the MV, the MPC-X has 8 stereo audio tracks but with 2g of ram vs the 512meg on the MV.

Can you operate it just like a linear multitrack recorder? I assume you can record audio tracks right beside MIDI tracks like the MV can do.

Thoughts? comments? suggestions?

Thank you.
miles_macquarrie
I don't have the X, but I do have the mpc live. I also do not make hip hop.

At first, I didn't really like the grid editor (piano roll), but now I really like it and I'll try to explain why the mpc works as a linear song based sequencer.

Having visual feedback is really helpful and something about it not being on computer makes it feel like a true music making device even though a lot of the touch screen stuff models features in many daw's.

I have many other sequencers such as a beatstep pro, keystep, I just tried out a pyramid, but it was a bit much for what I needed as a pattern generator, so I got rid of that and decided to get a Elektron Digitone to incorporate that style of sequencing into my studio.

All of my other sequencers are just used as pattern generators and then i record the midi out of those to the midi in of the MPC live. I will then start to edit those sequences in the mpc, such as transposing parts or single notes on the grid editor which is super easy. The next sequence function is cool on the mpc where you can trigger different variations on your sequence to figure out how you want to lay them out in song mode.

Song mode is also super user friendly and easy to lay out you sequence chains, mutes, etc.

Ok, Audio tracks. This confused me at first and something to note:
Audio tracks are linked to sequences and the sequence length. For instance, if you record an audio track on a 16 bar sequence, the audio track will loop after 16 bars. If you wanted to record a long passage, like a guitar or vocal track over your whole song, here is what you have to do.

After you create your song in song mode there is an option called "convert to sequence". This lets you then convert your entire song back to a single sequence and you're good to go.

I hope that was somewhat helpful. I decided to get the live over the X as I didn't really need any of the extras that the X offered, once I realized that I'd rather use a midi to cv converter instead of having to reach around to the back of the rather large unit to constantly plug and unplug cv cables.

I really do love recording midi from external sequencers into the mpc and editing there as the sequencer functions on the mpc are kind of "boring". On of the next things I will get for my modular will be a cv to midi converter so I can record things from random sources, quantizers, turing machines, etc into the mpc. Best of both worlds.
Cheers,
Miles
glennfin
Thanks for the reply Miles;

On the MV8800, I usually start with an audio track. Recording a guitar part for the length of the song (sequence). Then, maybe add a vocal track, then a MIDI track,, it's just like a DAW, the tracks are laid out horizontally one on top of the other. You don't have to switch screens to switch between MIDI and audio.

This is what I'd like to know about the MPC-X. Does it operate like a DAW, where you don't have to jump through hoops to record, audio, overdub, record midi, etc, etc, etc..?

First recording a sample (audio part), then convert it to a sequence like you described, to be able to add MIDI tracks doesn't sound very much like a DAW.... of course I could be completely misunderstanding that.. hmmm.....
nadafarms
I use mpc x and basically the 8 audio tracks are tied to the sequence, so if your whole song is one sequence then the 8 tracks will accompany the sequence, but if you make another sequence you will just have a new 8 tracks for that sequence.

As much as I wanted to use the mpc x as a full standalone unit it makes more sense to compose and sequence then record everything to a daw with lots of inputs and dump the whole project like that all at once
miles_macquarrie
You may want to stick to the MV. The Midi and Audio tracks are on two separate pages and as far as I know, You can not see audio tracks and midi tracks together in an arrangement view like you can on most DAW's.

Again, I'm very happy with the mpc live for how it works for me, but......

There are quite a bit of things that don't make sense and quite a few things they should have done differently.

Cheers,
Miles
glennfin
miles_macquarrie wrote:
You may want to stick to the MV. The Midi and Audio tracks are on two separate pages and as far as I know, You can not see audio tracks and midi tracks together in an arrangement view like you can on most DAW's.

Again, I'm very happy with the mpc live for how it works for me, but......

There are quite a bit of things that don't make sense and quite a few things they should have done differently.

Cheers,
Miles

Thanks Miles... exactly what i wanted to know. I'll stick with the MV. Evidently the MV is one of a kind. Of course it has it's flaws but there's nothing like it. Maybe someday we'll see a new DAW in a box.
glennfin
I am seriously considering the MPC-X despite the differences compared to the MV8800. Can you say for example, lay down a vocal track while listening to a MIDI sequence?

I've downloaded the manual and I've been trying to understand the operation of the X but it's confusing. What's annoying is the manual has a table of contents but no index appendix at the end. I tried to look up setting up of the metronome but..... hmmm..... hmmm.....

nadafarms wrote:
I use mpc x and basically the 8 audio tracks are tied to the sequence, so if your whole song is one sequence then the 8 tracks will accompany the sequence, but if you make another sequence you will just have a new 8 tracks for that sequence.

As much as I wanted to use the mpc x as a full standalone unit it makes more sense to compose and sequence then record everything to a daw with lots of inputs and dump the whole project like that all at once
ratchet
glennfin wrote:
I am seriously considering the MPC-X despite the differences compared to the MV8800. Can you say for example, lay down a vocal track while listening to a MIDI sequence?

I'm new to the MPC and got an MPC Live a week ago. To answer your question above - yes you can. But as others have stated above the length of the audio track will be limited to your sequence length. On the MPC you build songs with sequences and sequences will therefore usually be limited to a few bars in length. For example I've got a sequence with four chords over four bars. I then record my audio but it will stop recording after those four bars. You can of course set sequences to be longer than four bars but you get the idea.

Seems like there are work arounds as also stated above but I haven't got that far!

Have a look at page 25 of the manual where it explains 'Basic Concepts' and the differences in workflow between MPC and a DAW.
glennfin
Thanks ratchet..I will do that although I will probably stick with my MV8800 / RS7000 combination. cool

ratchet wrote:
glennfin wrote:

I'm new to the MPC and got an MPC Live a week ago. To answer your question above - yes you can. But as others have stated above the length of the audio track will be limited to your sequence length. On the MPC you build songs with sequences and sequences will therefore usually be limited to a few bars in length. For example I've got a sequence with four chords over four bars. I then record my audio but it will stop recording after those four bars. You can of course set sequences to be longer than four bars but you get the idea.

Seems like there are work arounds as also stated above but I haven't got that far!

Have a look at page 25 of the manual where it explains 'Basic Concepts' and the differences in workflow between MPC and a DAW.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1