MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

La music de la moi (AW198 modular music series)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here  
Author La music de la moi (AW198 modular music series)
AW198
Back last year, I realised that I was making lots of short tracks, sequences, and patches, which weren't polished enough to be released as proper tracks but which I was sad to see go when I eventually deleted/unpatched them.

So, I decided to make a youtube channel to put all of those noises on, using hardware only to make the audio!

At the time of writing I've posted 6 videos, so I'll post them and then add more as I put them on youtube. I'm attempting to stick to a minimum of 1 per fortnight, but inspiration comes and goes. The process of trying to come up with new patches and ideas for videos nicely pushes me to experiment more, so it's helpful for me to try to stick to a rough schedule.
At the recommendation of lumena, I'm making this single thread which I'll post all my music on rather than a new post for each track, which I used to do. If you're lucky you might have stumbled across one of those posts thumbs up

Patch notes/ModGrid patch link and more info is available in the youtube description of the videos
AW198

For my first video I was playing around with my Eventide Space and the random stepped voltages from the Mother 32s, and came up with this semi-self-generating patch. Adding a string of LEDs and then recording a video with my phone created really murky, lo-fi visuals which I thought suited the patch perfectly, so I stuck with it. Somehow this video got over 14k views (at time of writing) - not sure how so many people found it but the response I'm getting from the comments is that it's good background music for programming.

Unfortunately I had to add some compression in Ableton, since the bass notes were getting out of control at times - something I view as personal cheating...
AW198

I was thinking about how I could get the most out of a Mother 32 and wondering how I could use steady voltages to change the rate of the LFO to use it as a bass (rather than a drone bass by just patching it into the external audio input), and came up with this:
Turning up the Tempo knob, adding 4 ratchets per note on a blank sequence, and making the Assign Out output a clock effectively turned the Assign output into a set voltage output whenever the sequencer was running. Patching this through the crossfader/VCA on the Mother 32 allows the voltage level to be chosen precisely, and then routing that to the LFO rate input makes the LFO change pitch whenever the sequencer starts or stops.
I made this little improv piece to demonstrate the patch. No longer is the Mother 32 a monosynth!

I took a chance and contacted Synthtopia, and by luck they featured my video: http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/12/04/playing-paraphonically-wi th-a-moog-mother-32/ nanners
AW198

I had a TC Electronic Flashback in my possession for a few days, and made this, which is one of my favourite semi-self-generating patches. Pingpong delays are my favourite, and when you add the ModEchoVerb form Eventide (which also includes a delay), you get a seriously thick texture.

Oh, and the dark-room-grainy-coloured-video is here to stay. It's unique and works perfectly for the dark ambient patches I make lots of w00t
AW198

I had enough of making melodic ambience, so I basically made 001//Slumber again but atonal. This video has my favourite visuals so far - the mess of cables and the fuzzy green-lit video makes me think of a tentacled monster in the depths of the sea, which is where the name gets its inspiration from. screaming goo yo I call any mess of cables where you can't easily see what's patched where a 'cable kraken' now.
AW198

At this point I've basically confined myself to making self-generating ambient patches. I'm meaning to break out of the cycle and do something more interesting like a piece, but I feel like my content is good as modular background music and I'm unwilling to suddenly put up a techno banger... I'll do something new at some point. cry on the bright side, I got myself a secondhand TimeFactor! hyper

Anyway, I was really fucking tired when I made this patch and listening to anything more complex than odd notes playing with huge gaps between was beyond me, so this ended up as one of the most slow, meandering patches I've ever made. My original thought process was to make something in a major key (so far everything has been minor or atonal), but I accidentally made the bass note change from C to E, which made the 'chord' change from C major to E minor - which is a commonly used chord progression for portraying sadness! d'oh! I liked the happy/sad mix though, and called it Bittersweet Memories in light of that.

For some reason this patch makes me think of the seaside - probably the yellow reminds me of the beach and the noise swooshes remind me of the tide. cool
AW198

I got a few comments on 001//Slumber asking what you could do with a single Mother 32 instead of 2 - so I tried it out. I'm actually really happy with how this turned out, especially the opening 'chord' that the reverb creates. You can tell when the sequence repeats based on when you hear that 'chord', but there's enough variation each repetition to keep it interesting imho. Maybe I'll do a Part 3 where I recreate 001//Slumber again but using all my modules...
AW198
I feel slightly limited so far by the fact that the Eventide Space is excellent for dark, long reverbs, but can't do the bright, clear reverb that the Big Sky can. I've read more comparisons between those (and other verbs) than any man should, and I can't justify the cost for another reverb, but sometimes I do wish I could make something that was 'beautiful' instead of 'eerie'...
AW198

Finally decided to make a patch with a looping arpeggio rather than just random notes being triggered. My stackables bled through each other a LOT, which made for some unexpected and sometimes irritating modulation, but I accepted it in the end and just made a note to get some proper mixers and multiples at some point evil

Does this patch make anyone else think of spaceships preparing to take off then suddenly shooting away, or just me?

It's also labelled 'melodic' instead of 'melodic ambient' or whatever because I don't really think this qualifies as ambient - any ideas for its genre anyone? EDIT: changed it to 'melodic sci-fi'. It's good enough This is fun!
AW198

My first entirely self-generating patch! I've had a lot of the youtube comments in mind about how my videos would make good music for films, and I had that in mind when making this. The image of an old, abandoned spaceship was the inspiration for this.

I'm starting to think that I should give my videos snappier titles and leave the gear list for the description, but at the same time I often click on recommended videos because it has a piece of gear I'm interested in in the title. Ah well, maybe I'll decide eventually.[/url]
lisa
AW198 wrote:
My first entirely self-generating patch!

Entirely self generated? That's impressive. It sounds like changes are being made throughout the piece.

Nice alien ambient. My only critique would be that it's so full on all the twenty something minutes. Pauses and silence is nice too. thumbs up
AW198
lisa wrote:
AW198 wrote:
My first entirely self-generating patch!

Entirely self generated? That's impressive. It sounds like changes are being made throughout the piece.

Nice alien ambient. My only critique would be that it's so full on all the twenty something minutes. Pauses and silence is nice too. thumbs up

Thanks for the feedback - I managed to get a range of sounds out of it because since the oscillators are getting random pitches, sometimes they provide really solid AM in the audio range on the self resonating filters, and sometimes they are so low they're sub audio and so you get the cutoff audibly pulsing up and down.

I get what you mean about the lack of breaks, I just find it difficult to find a balance when it's self-generated and I can't use the tricks I did in pieces like 005//Bittersweet Memories because I've patched it differently... I'll keep trying though. Eventually I'll find a good balance. seriously, i just don't get it
AW198
Just an update - my channel is pretty now! I've added a fancy banner courtesy of Canva, made some playlists, and improved the end screen of my videos (not that anyone watches them to the end anyway) w00t w00t w00t
I've also bought some cheap stuff of Amazon which might make my lighting better. We can only wait and see...
AW198

Another little track dedicated to Lightbath because he makes some great modular stuff. I tried to recreate his type of music in my style with a few different voices, but it's hard to get a long piece when your Mother 32s don't have a way of triggering pattern changes...
AW198

New lighting, percussion from the lower Mother 32 (fuck the DFAM), and a cool quirk of sequencing from an external clock (if the tempo of the Mother 32 is much slower than the tempo of the external clock, you can patch it in while the sequence is already running and the Mother 32 will advance the sequence every few steps, creating slower but rhythmically related sequences).

Damn am I happy with how the lighting turned out, wrapping an LED strip around the setup instead of hanging it overhead makes it so much more interesting. SlayerBadger!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here  
Page 1 of 1