MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

DIY kit poll
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  

Would you ever consider building super cool multi-function module that requires 10 vactrols (VTL5c3)?
PM’d for boards and panel!
17%
 17%  [ 12 ]
Possibly...
50%
 50%  [ 34 ]
Probably not
25%
 25%  [ 17 ]
Are you out of your f@&#%$g mind?!!
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 68

Author DIY kit poll
QuantumMechanakillWave
Would you ever consider building super cool multi-function, patch programmable module that requires 10 vactrols (VTL5c3)? Also, it will uses two vacuum tubes and uses quite a bit of current..

It is a very unique module. I am not ready to unveil anything yet.

Please help me gauge receptivity to a project that contains pricier components! help
synthetek
Tubes and vactrols! I am sure we could do a vactrol group buy if there was enough interest Dead Banana
acgenerator
How rare are the tubes though?
sduck
Depends - are you using vactrols and tubes for specific purposes, or just because you can?
NV
If you're weighing whether your R&D is worth the potential interest, I think it would be beneficial to ask this question once you can describe the projected feature set and BOM/build complexity. $80 in vactrols/tubes is easy for a complete synth voice that takes full advantage of the components for unique results, but it's a lot for a couple quirky VCAs/envelopes.
QuantumMechanakillWave
acgenerator - any ECC83 or similar tube that has the same series heater configuration. I am currently using cheap trashy Chinese 12ax7 and a Phillips JAN 12at7, and it sounds amazing. I wanted to use tubes that are very common and have a stable supply. The bias controls will be available from the front panel for quick and easy tube rolling. Changing tubes in the circuit and mixing different types will have a significant impact on the sound.

sduck - very specific reasons. The nature of both will be quite apparent.

synthetek - great point. I can definitely participate in a group buy and offer some parts kits.

NV - the R&d is complete. I am just trying to gauge interest for pcb production. This is a very Unique device that does a lot, but is not technically a full synth voice.

Sorry to be vague! I do not want to disclose anything until the final production item is completed, and I have settled all IP matters. It shouldn’t be too much longer.
Swyndger
As others have written: If ... IF ... the module REALY NEEDS vactrols and tubes for it's unique sound, and I would realy want that unique sound, maybe I wound consider to buy a lot of outdated and expensive parts (and I've already build the Feedback Two59-Shaper and the Fonitronic Vactrol Resonator)
So I have to answer "probably not" till I know I need it wink
euromorcego
QuantumMechanakillWave wrote:
Would you ever consider building super cool multi-function, patch programmable module that requires 10 vactrols (VTL5c3)? Also, it will uses two vacuum tubes and uses quite a bit of current..

would it also work with other vactrols? The Turing Vactrol Mix is quite popular and requires 8 vactrols. I build two of them (using silonex). Don't think this will be a major problem if the module is sufficiently interesting. Lot's of people even roll their own vactrols.

more worried about the tubes and the power consumption, though ...
QuantumMechanakillWave
It will work with other types of vactrols with a small amount of adjustment. The obvious time response changes and hysteresis apply.

This will be a larger, patch-programmable, multi-function module that is normaled for a complex function. There are many knobs (16), switching jack break points and switches. There will be a lot of functionality fit into the amount of space, and I also feel that the features and power are in balance to the amount of space. Perhaps I can also place a barrel jack on the front for an external filament power supply wallwart.

euromorcego wrote:
QuantumMechanakillWave wrote:
Would you ever consider building super cool multi-function, patch programmable module that requires 10 vactrols (VTL5c3)? Also, it will uses two vacuum tubes and uses quite a bit of current..

would it also work with other vactrols? The Turing Vactrol Mix is quite popular and requires 8 vactrols. I build two of them (using silonex). Don't think this will be a major problem if the module is sufficiently interesting. Lot's of people even roll their own vactrols.

more worried about the tubes and the power consumption, though ...
sduck
QuantumMechanakillWave wrote:

- the R&d is complete. I am just trying to gauge interest for pcb production. This is a very Unique device that does a lot, but is not technically a full synth voice.


Perhaps you should do what most people do - an initial run of say 3 pcbs for alpha testing (just you), a second run of 10 (corrected boards) for beta testing with a small group of maybe 3 other trusted DIYers (and possible 3rd run if there are problems), and after that is when you actually present the device and get an interest check on how many you should produce for the actual run.
jimfowler
I like things with tubes and things with vactrols, so...probably. If you need a beta builder I’d be willing to give it a shot once I know what it is/does.

- Jim
QuantumMechanakillWave
This is most likely what I will end up doing. Thanks for the suggestion!


sduck wrote:
QuantumMechanakillWave wrote:

- the R&d is complete. I am just trying to gauge interest for pcb production. This is a very Unique device that does a lot, but is not technically a full synth voice.


Perhaps you should do what most people do - an initial run of say 3 pcbs for alpha testing (just you), a second run of 10 (corrected boards) for beta testing with a small group of maybe 3 other trusted DIYers (and possible 3rd run if there are problems), and after that is when you actually present the device and get an interest check on how many you should produce for the actual run.
QuantumMechanakillWave
Thank you for the feedback!

jimfowler wrote:
I like things with tubes and things with vactrols, so...probably. If you need a beta builder I’d be willing to give it a shot once I know what it is/does.

- Jim
NightGoat
I'm new to Diy so it sounds a bit complex for me but depending on the skill level, I'd consider it. I like the look of the L1 Tube VCA 1Ж24Б which sounds simple compared. I have a couple of Metasonix module and I'd love to expand on them.

http://l-1.su/TubeVCA.html
Eric the Red
Sounds interesting, I’m in.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group